Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A…

Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A Handbook for Unapologetic Living

by Jes Baker

I don't believe there can possibly be too many (or probably even enough) books about body/size acceptance. Add Jes Baker to the list of unapologetic fat women (along with Marilyn Wann, Kate Harding, Wendy Shanker, and Lesley Kinzel) who are vocal about the injustices that fat people (and especially fat women) face, and how to deal with them.

I personally enjoyed the more autobiographical essays more than the others. However, there were not a ton of these. The other essays were more "self-help-book-ish" which wasn't bad, but... they did not stand out.

At any rate, I recommend this book for those of you who are interested in learning more about how to stop hating your body, no matter what size it is. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 16, 2017 |
I learned a lot from this book. I recognize my own prejudices when it comes to size and health. The chapter on mental health was VERY helpful to me. She provides practical advice for those bad days and addresses mental illness as what it is -- an illness. I don't think this is only a book for "plus size" women, but for people interested in how the beauty myth can affect anyone. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
I'm not sure I can adequately describe how incredible this book is. With her trademark kick-ass prose Jes Baker has created an amazing book on self-love/self-care. While many books of this variety seem lacking in action and substance, TNOWTFG lays down a hefty amount of facts and history along with plenty of action steps and resources to live your life unapologetically.

This book isn't just for fat girls, it's for anyone who looks at the weight/diet/fitness obsessed world we live in and thinks "something is wrong here". For anyone who wants guidance toward loving their minds and bodies just as they are now. For anyone who has ever been told they aren't enough.

Immensely quotable, immensely useful, immensely empowering. This is the self-love book you have been looking for. ( )
  Heather_Roach | Jan 14, 2016 |
4.5 Stars
Awesome and inspiring (as long as a lot of profanity doesn't bother you)! A book about self-love, body-love, and just love that's also a call to action for us all to positively change how we think about beauty and bodies. I strongly recommend this book.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Oct 27, 2015 |
I read this book as an electronic advance reading copy provided by Edelweiss, and I have submitted my comments to the publisher via that web site.

This book takes an energetic, funny, youthful approach to self love for women with larger bodies, who often internalize the criticisms and hate that they hear from family, strangers, and the media. The author offers her own personal experiences, along with some excellent guest essays from other fat advocates, to show how to address shaming and negativity and cultivate one's own confidence.

It is important how the author situates her work in feminism, explaining why fat hatred--which is essentially a form of oppression--is targeted mainly at women. Her book is well researched, with extensive notes that cite both scholarly research and popular opinion.

One of the things I liked most about this book is the tools that readers can use to work through body issues. The author is a mental health professional, and her expertise is apparent when she discusses, for example, dialectical behavioral therapy or mapping your core influencers when you are feeling low.

While the author is proud--and rightly so!--of her journey towards self love, she acknowledges that she does not have all the answers, and she calls on guest authors to write essays about their own experiences, such as being women of color or living with disabilities. The author also offers numerous outside resources, mostly online, to support readers in their journey.

Recommended for public libraries. ( )
  librarianarpita | Jun 9, 2015 |

"Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls is a manifesto and call to arms for women of all sizes and ages. With smart and sassy eloquence, veteran blogger Jes Baker calls on women to be proud of their bodies, fight against fat-shaming, and embrace a body-positive worldview to change public perceptions and help women maintain mental health. With the same straightforward tone that catapulted her to national attention when she wrote a public letter addressing the sexist comments of Abercrombie & Fitch's CEO, Jes shares personal experiences along with in-depth research in a way that is approachable, digestible, and empowering. Featuring notable guest authors, Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls is an invitation for all women to reject fat prejudice, learn to love their bodies, and join the most progressive, and life-changing revolution there is: the movement to change the world by loving their bodies"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,804,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible