A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, Book 4) by…

A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, Book 4) (edition 2006)

by Kim Harrison

Member:Saturngrl
Title:A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, Book 4)
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Series - not finished; read and given away
Tags:urban fantasy, witches, elves, demons, vampires

A Fistful Of Charms by Kim Harrison

Blue Moon by Laurell K. Hamilton (housewench)
    housewench: Both of these books in their respective series drag their protagonists from the comfort of home, away where they've little support. Both heroines must deal with werewolves in ways that make them rethink themselves, and who they are, before they can return safely home.… (more)

English (65)  Dutch (2)  All languages (67)
This is one of my favorite UF series, but there are times when I get so frustrated with the MC's behavior. Rachel has moments of brilliance, but this book had much focus on her inability to maintain "normal" relationships. That led to more second guessing about Nick (and Ivy), totally disregarding her relationship with Kisten. I also don't like this "thing" with Ivy. It's been four books and nothing is really resolved. It's getting on my nerves. Rachel needs to be avoid the intimate relationships for awhile and get her crap together.

There were great scenes in this book though. We finally learn what Nick does for a living when he's taken captive by the Weres for a "deal gone bad." Even worse, he's taken Jax, Jenks eldest son, along for the ride. Now the young pixy is alone in Michigan with no way to get home. Rachel and Jenks are forced to launch a complex mission to rescue both Nick and Jax, which involves some pretty crafty spells. Nothing is simple in Rachel's world, so soon she's dealing with a dangerous artifact that could start an all out war.

I like how Rachel's magical abilities are developing, even though there is obvious concern about the dark magic. She is growing in strength and that led to some exciting action scenes in the book. Loved the scene where she "wered" into a red wolf. That was extremely well written. Loved it. I missed Trent and Rachel's banter, though. Regardless, the ending was powerful and exciting, allowing room for the series to expand. Obviously I'm moving onto the next book!
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Lots of painful action and lovers pain.....Have your tissue box full. You're going to need it. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I've really enjoyed the development of the relationship between Rachel (a straight witch) and Ivy (a lesbian-leaning bisexual vampire). I've never encountered a story before that attempts to delve into the complexities of friendship between women when one is straight and the other isn't. Ivy is in love with Rachel, but Rachel doesn't simply dismiss her but instead tries to find a way to make love work... without sex. Add in the complications of Ivy's living vampire status and the story gets satisfyingly complex!

I've enjoyed all the books in this series, but so far this was my favorite. ( )
1 vote PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Read/Listened for Fun (Library/Audible)
Overall Rating: 3.75
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 4.00

Audio Rating: 4.50 (Not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished:A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison won't go down as one of my favorites in the series mostly because of Nick!

Overall Thoughts:

1: Have never been a fan of Nick (though I honestly don't want her with Kist either) and so I am hoping the end marked their relationship from this point forward.
2: I still love the troubled threesome but the foreshadowing is making me pre-sad!
3: Big Jenks = Awesome!
4: Hoping this is a turn for Ivy and she will be more open!
5: No Trent so I felt like the overall story didn't move forward.
6: Need more Ceri--she is super interesting.
7: Less Kisten (and he wasn't even in this one much)

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Marguerite Gavin / Length: 17 hrs and 10 mins

She really nails all of these characters. I am just a fan of Marguerite's narration. Awesome is just awesome :)

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews

My Status Updates:

20%: #Listening Yeah Jenks is back in the mix!
51%: I am reading and listening. The library had the book so I can switch up Yeah!
56%: Listening while working today: I HATE NICK! Seriously I doubt he dies (cause really I wouldn't miss him so that means he lives) but the Ray Ray thing is going to make me fall into the world with some duct tape :)"
60%: Listening is that really about to happen? OMG really Ivy/Rachel--this is a really intense scene!

Favorite Quote:

“If you do it once, it’s a mistake. If you do it twice, it’s not a mistake anymore.”

He grinned. “That’s because pixies are ever-after. We’re magic, baby. Just ask Matalina.”

“Damn it all to Disneyland! Where’s crap for brains?” ( )
  thehistorychic | Mar 29, 2015 |
Rachel Morgan is one of my favorite heroines of the urban fantasy genre. She's willing to do the terrible, but she still gets upset about doing the terrible. But she gets over herself and doesn't whine. I really appreciate that. Add to it an awesome pixie sidekick and what's not to like?

Okay, well there are a few things not to like. I do appreciate that they go out and address Rachel's "obsession with danger." Usually the heroine is just stupidly attracted to it, but it's interesting how they bring it out into the open like that. The whole Ivy/Rachel subplot thing is weird, and I don't know if I like it. We'll just see where it goes, I guess.

The plot itself of this novel really is great. The Focus gives me chills, and Rachel using all the black curses and turning into a wolf and stuff is awesome. And the con plot at the end? Love it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Mar 21, 2015 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the man who invariably says, "Really? Okay," instead of, "You want to do what?"
The solid thud of David's car door shutting echoed off the stone face of the eight-story building we had parked beside.
'I was a sucker for a smart man, especially when the brains came packaged in a body that was carefully maintained' Rachel
'One person can't hold anything, but two can have the world' Jenks
I glanced at the men behind him, then extended my hand again. 'Rachel Morgan,' I said more confidently than I felt. 'And this is Jenks, my partner.' This was weird, civilized. Yes, I've come to rob you, sir. / How delightful; won't you have some tea before you do?

The evil night things that prowl Cincinnati despise witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan. Her new reputation for the dark arts is turning human and undead heads alike with the intent to possess, bed, and kill her -- not necessarily in that order.  Now a mortal lover who abandoned Rachel has returned, haunted by his secret past. And there are those who covet what Nick possesses -- savage beasts willing to destroy the Hollows and everyone in it if necessary.  Forced to keep a low profile or eternally suffer the wrath of a vengeful demon, Rachel must nevertheless act quickly. For the pack is gathering for the first time in millennia to ravage and to rule. And suddenly more than Rachel's soul is at stake.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060788194, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:58 -0400)

Witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan comes to the aid of Nick, a former lover haunted by his secret past and in possession of savage beasts that are willing to destroy the Hollows and everyone in it, and discovers that more than her own soul is at stake.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible