A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, Book 4) by…

A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, Book 4) (edition 2006)

by Kim Harrison

Member:Saturngrl
Title:A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, Book 4)
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Series - not finished; read and given away
Tags:urban fantasy, witches, elves, demons, vampires

A Fistful Of Charms by Kim Harrison

Blue Moon by Laurell K. Hamilton (housewench)
    housewench: Both of these books in their respective series drag their protagonists from the comfort of home, away where they've little support. Both heroines must deal with werewolves in ways that make them rethink themselves, and who they are, before they can return safely home.… (more)

English (67)  Dutch (2)  All languages (69)
This is the first of the series that I've rated less than five stars.

Kim Harrison has created a creatively structured world of supernaturals mingling with humanity. The magic is believable and layered, the vampire culture is twisted and unique, and the battles have raged for centuries between supe groups. A Fistful of Charms loses me a little because it focuses on a new were group when Rachel has to leave town to rescue her ex, and while some of the occurrences with this were fascinating, other times it was almost dull. There is also NO Al or Trent in this book, no demons at all, very little Kisten, and the book focuses the inner relationship between her and Ivy big time, some Nick time, and plenty of Jenks times.

First, Rachel must make some major moral decisions and delves deeper into darker magic, which intrigued me to no end. Jenks has a major change and is finally back in the books to my relief. I don't want to spoil what happens with him but he plays a major part and in a good way. Ivy and Rachel keep exploring their options and issues and this actually makes interesting stuff, even if at this point it starts to lag a bit - Ivy's protective side comes out even further and made me like her more. I think this was a turning point in the series for me to grow more attached to the character.

Despite the diggings into the mains, there were some slow, introspective musings and the absence of some of the exciting 'bad guys' was noticed. The were stuff just wasn't that interesting and I found the focus a bit confusing. However, the story made up with this to be good with some intriguing drama, funny grocery store and bar scenes, two nifty transformations, and a juicy portrayal. I found the last page a bit cheesy, when usually the endings for this series are brilliant.

While not quite as good as the previous three, it's still a fun addition to the Hollows library. I especially like how Rachel finally digs further into her magical bag of tricks to pull out some powerful spells.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I have enjoyed the Hallows books but Rachel was just all kinds of stupid in this one. She gets jumped by lots of wolves, chooses to save Nick when she should have let him die, and she gets more black on her soul. Rachel does so much stupid in this novel that she is become To Stupid To Live. I rarely think that about character's because in the end it is just fiction but Rachel was really just pushed my buttons with this one. I think that her lack of foresight about anything is what was doing it. She just reacted from one moment to the next then wondered why things went wrong. Lots of people wanted to slap her in this volume and I was one of them. The good things about this volume: Jenks is back, Nick is gone (and I hope for good), and Rachel says that she learned something about herself. I hope so. Because I am not sure that I could stand another book with her being this stupid.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money. ( )
  lrainey | May 25, 2016 |
This is one of my favorite UF series, but there are times when I get so frustrated with the MC's behavior. Rachel has moments of brilliance, but this book had much focus on her inability to maintain "normal" relationships. That led to more second guessing about Nick (and Ivy), totally disregarding her relationship with Kisten. I also don't like this "thing" with Ivy. It's been four books and nothing is really resolved. It's getting on my nerves. Rachel needs to be avoid the intimate relationships for awhile and get her crap together.

There were great scenes in this book though. We finally learn what Nick does for a living when he's taken captive by the Weres for a "deal gone bad." Even worse, he's taken Jax, Jenks eldest son, along for the ride. Now the young pixy is alone in Michigan with no way to get home. Rachel and Jenks are forced to launch a complex mission to rescue both Nick and Jax, which involves some pretty crafty spells. Nothing is simple in Rachel's world, so soon she's dealing with a dangerous artifact that could start an all out war.

I like how Rachel's magical abilities are developing, even though there is obvious concern about the dark magic. She is growing in strength and that led to some exciting action scenes in the book. Loved the scene where she "wered" into a red wolf. That was extremely well written. Loved it. I missed Trent and Rachel's banter, though. Regardless, the ending was powerful and exciting, allowing room for the series to expand. Obviously I'm moving onto the next book!
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Lots of painful action and lovers pain.....Have your tissue box full. You're going to need it. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I've really enjoyed the development of the relationship between Rachel (a straight witch) and Ivy (a lesbian-leaning bisexual vampire). I've never encountered a story before that attempts to delve into the complexities of friendship between women when one is straight and the other isn't. Ivy is in love with Rachel, but Rachel doesn't simply dismiss her but instead tries to find a way to make love work... without sex. Add in the complications of Ivy's living vampire status and the story gets satisfyingly complex!

I've enjoyed all the books in this series, but so far this was my favorite. ( )
1 vote PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the man who invariably says, "Really? Okay," instead of, "You want to do what?"
The solid thud of David's car door shutting echoed off the stone face of the eight-story building we had parked beside.
'I was a sucker for a smart man, especially when the brains came packaged in a body that was carefully maintained' Rachel
'One person can't hold anything, but two can have the world' Jenks
I glanced at the men behind him, then extended my hand again. 'Rachel Morgan,' I said more confidently than I felt. 'And this is Jenks, my partner.' This was weird, civilized. Yes, I've come to rob you, sir. / How delightful; won't you have some tea before you do?

The evil night things that prowl Cincinnati despise witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan. Her new reputation for the dark arts is turning human and undead heads alike with the intent to possess, bed, and kill her -- not necessarily in that order.  Now a mortal lover who abandoned Rachel has returned, haunted by his secret past. And there are those who covet what Nick possesses -- savage beasts willing to destroy the Hollows and everyone in it if necessary.  Forced to keep a low profile or eternally suffer the wrath of a vengeful demon, Rachel must nevertheless act quickly. For the pack is gathering for the first time in millennia to ravage and to rule. And suddenly more than Rachel's soul is at stake.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060788194, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:58 -0400)

Witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan comes to the aid of Nick, a former lover haunted by his secret past and in possession of savage beasts that are willing to destroy the Hollows and everyone in it, and discovers that more than her own soul is at stake.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,393,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible