Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Jr.…

Her Smoke Rose Up Forever (1990)

by James Jr. Tiptree (Author)

introduction by Michael Swanwick

•The Man Who Walked Home

•And I Have Come Upon This Place By Lost Ways

•The Women Men Don't See

•Your Faces, O My Sisters! Your Faces Filled of Light

•Houston, Houston, Do You Read?

•With Delicate Mad Hands

•She Waits for All Men Born

•Slow Music

•And So On, and So On

SChant | Apr 27, 2013 |
Deep, dark, and different. ( )
  dmarsh451 | Apr 3, 2013 |
James Tiptree/Alice Sheldon was an amazing author that makes me want to heap descriptions with hyperbolic metaphor: "prose burning like a star" or "rage as quiet and inescapable as the tide". the short story was her master form, and this definitive collection is a must-read for any sci-fi aficionado, and for anyone even dabbling into feminist or gender-provocative ideas in fiction.

the stories here were like a bit of a bell curve for me - a few early ones were good but not great, and the last few were softer cries of despair rather than the slow-burn explosions of the middle section. when she was firing on all cylinders, this woman's storytelling power just destroyed me. "with delicate mad hands" is one of the most brutally beautiful things I've ever read, but it's not a solo, "best song on the cd" sort of piece.

it took me over 6 months to finally finish this whole volume, because i was just not up to being wrung out so thoroughly, so often. happy endings here are never traditional "riding off into the sunset in peaceful content" moments, and more than once, getting your heart's desire means dying horribly. and yet, not a single one of these is melodramatic or overwrought or gratuitous - each one is a slow build up to its natural conclusion, which feels inevitable by the time the last period strikes the page. ( )
  fireweaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
A collection of short stories & novellas from Alice Sheldon aka James Tiptree Jr.

There was not a story in this book I did not like. Don't get me wrong, I found some of them to be more intense, or thought provoking than others, but all of them made me think. All of them had some sort of intensity. All of them were interesting. And the book, as a whole, is pure, fucking genius, and I wish I had read Tiptree years ago.

1 vote suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

Tiptree, James Jr.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clute, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picacio, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanwick, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible