Oz, the Complete Collection, Volume 1: The…

Oz, the Complete Collection, Volume 1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz; The… (1900)

by L. Frank Baum

The first date refers to the first of the three books in this volume: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. This is the first instance where I have ever said, the movie is better than the book. This is not a very well written story. Predicable, and at places just plain odd. The second has started out with better writing, so there's hope that the story improves along the way.

The second date refers to the second story in this volume: The Wonderful Land of Oz. Better than the first, but still not great literature by any stretch. But Baum had grown as a writer by this story. Hopefully, things will continue to improve.
The third book: Ozma of Oz was still better than the first two—still not great literature, but a better and more enjoyable story. Maybe we are up to three stars for this one. It is the story of Ozma and Dorothy coming together to help rescue the rulers of the kingdom of Ev, though it is a chicken, who is the real hero. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 22, 2016 |
At one time when I could not locate some of my other Oz books, I bought this recent set. Later I relocated my other Oz books, so I have only kept this as a spare. For my comments on the three books included, see the separate entries for my other editions of those books. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 22, 2014 |
Very easy read. I think I finished the entire thing in between books during a weeklong vacation. If you were expecting anything similar to The Wizard of Oz (Judy Garland), or Oz, The Great and Powerful (James Franco), you will be surprised to learn how little of that is touched on in these books. To be fair, there are 7 Volumes and I've only read the one as of yet, but it seems that after the first two books (there are 3 in each volume), we had already passed the happenings of both movies.
It is stagnantly written, but still entertaining. When putting the book in the historical context in which it was written, some of the happenings and styles will make more sense to you. Very easy read, clearly intended for young readers. If you ever wanted to know more about the wonderful land of Oz, this is a good read; but if expecting movie-magic, I would skip it. ( )
  MooqieLove | Feb 22, 2014 |
The Marvelous Land of Oz - To those excellent good fellows and eminent comedians David C. Montgomery and Frank A. Stone, whose clever personations of Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow have delighted thousands of children throughout the land, this book is gratefully dedicated by the author.
Ozma of Oz - To all the boys and girls who read my stories - and especially to the Dorothys - this book is lovingly dedicated.
The Wonderful World of Oz - Dorothy lived in the midst of the of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Auntie Em, who was the farmer's wife.
The Marvelous Land of Oz- In the land of the Gillikins, which is at the north of the Land of Oz, lived a youth named Tip.
Ozma of Oz- The wind blew hard and joggled the water of the ocean, sending ripples across the surface.

Collects the first three stories about the adventures of Dorothy and her friends in the marvelous land of Oz, including "Ozma of Oz" wherein Dorothy and the hen Billina are captured by the evil Nome King.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,182,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible