Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane…

All the Birds in the Sky

by Charlie Jane Anders

Sourdough by Robin Sloan (tralliott)
    A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins (wandering_star)
    Postsingular by Rudy Rucker (hairball)
    hairball: All the Birds in the Sky made me think about Postsingular and Hylozoic for some reason--maybe it's the Bay Area thing, but it's also something about the attitude.

I didn't feel that this book flowed very well. The first part feels like a children's book. There are a lot of time jumps, that leave you feeling that whole events have been missed or glossed over. The story is charming enough, but the writing fails to excite. ( )
  nebula21 | Feb 8, 2019 |
this was a weird book. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I was interested in seeing what would happen, but the writing style and the story itself were pretty ... weird. lol. ( )
  distantiation | Dec 3, 2018 |
The feel of this book was, to me, a bit jarring. The omnipotent narrator's tone would occasionally "skip", like an edgy teenager reciting a serious story, but flubbing a line once in a while and filling it in however she could. Sometimes this really worked for me, and added a levity to the story that even the funnier moments couldn't capture. Other times, it was discordant and 4th-wall-breaking, and felt like the author had written all these beautiful paragraphs of prose, but then stuck them together with cheap string and putty.
The story itself was actually quite nice, and the twists and turns felt surprising and fresh. I never felt like I was reading some recycled trope or overdone idea, and I think that's why the erratically peppered incongruities in the narration patter bothered me so much: I wanted to lose myself in this really interesting worldbuilding, but I couldn't stay in it long enough to get fully immersed.
A frustratingly delightful, or delightfully frustrating, read. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
I liked it! Interesting world setup and reveals, relatable characters, vividly depicted. Good side character queer representation. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
Cute. ( )
  justifiedsinner | Nov 5, 2018 |

Anders, Charlie JaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature, I suspect, is on the side of machines. -George Dyson, Darwin Among the Machines
To Annalee
When Patricia was six years old, she found a wounded bird.
"You never learned the secret,” said Roberta. “How to be a crazy motherfucker and get away with it. Everybody else does it. What, you didn’t think they were all sane, did you? Not a one of them. They’re all crazier than you and me put together. They just know how to fake it. You could too, but you’ve chosen to torture all of us instead. That’s the definition of evil right there: not faking it like everybody else. Because all of us crazy fuckers can’t stand it when someone else lets their crazy show. It’s like bugs under the skin. We have to destroy you. It’s nothing personal."
You know … no matter what you do, people are going to expect you to be someone you’re not. But if you’re clever and lucky and work your butt off, then you get to be surrounded by people who expect you to be the person you wish you were.
nature doesn’t ‘find ways’ to do anything. Nature has no opinion, no agenda. Nature provides a playing field, a not particularly level one, on which we compete with all creatures great and small. It’s more that nature’s playing field is full of traps.
Boredom is the mind’s scar tissue.

Patricia's a witch,
Laurence is a scientist.
The world is ending.
(rretzler)

"When Patricia Delfine was six years old, a wounded bird led her deep into the forest to the Parliament of Birds, where she met the Great Tree and was asked a question that would determine the course of her life. When Laurence Armstead was in grade school, he cobbled together a wristwatch-sized device that could send its wearer two seconds into the future. When Patricia and Laurence first met in high school, they didn't understand one another at all. But as time went on, they kept bumping into one another's lives. Now they're both grown up, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention into the changing global climate. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's every-growing ailments. Neither Laurence nor Patricia can keep pace with the speed at which things fall apart. But something bigger than either of them, something begun deep in their childhoods, is determined to bring them together. And will"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,469,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible