dismiss

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane…

All the Birds in the Sky

by Charlie Jane Anders

"From the editor-in-chief of io9.com, a stunning novel about the end of the world--and the beginning of our futureChildhood friends Patricia Delfine and Laurence Armstead didn't expect to see each other again, after parting ways under mysterious circumstances during middle school. After all, the development of magical powers and the invention of a two-second time machine could hardly fail to alarm one's peers and families.But now they're both adults, living in the hipster mecca San Francisco, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's every-growing ailments. Little do they realize that something bigger than either of them, something begun years ago in their youth, is determined to bring them together to either save the world, or plunge it into a new dark ages.A deeply magical, darkly funny examination of life, love, and the apocalypse"-- "When Patricia Delfine was six years old, a wounded bird led her deep into the forest to the Parliament of Birds, where she met the Great Tree and was asked a question that would determine the course of her life. When Laurence Armstead was in grade school, he cobbled together a wristwatch-sized device that could send its wearer two seconds into the future. When Patricia and Laurence first met in high school, they didn't understand one another at all. But as time went on, they kept bumping into one another's lives. Now they're both grown up, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention into the changing global climate. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's every-growing ailments. Neither Laurence nor Patricia can keep pace with the speed at which things fall apart. But something bigger than either of them, something begun deep in their childhoods, is determined to bring them together. And will"--… (more)
    Sourdough by Robin Sloan (tralliott)
    A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins (wandering_star)
    Postsingular by Rudy Rucker (hairball)
    hairball: All the Birds in the Sky made me think about Postsingular and Hylozoic for some reason--maybe it's the Bay Area thing, but it's also something about the attitude.

Not a bad read, but a little disappointing. Marketing itself as a mix between SciFi and Fantasy, this book drew me in. Turns out it's a literal conflict between magic and technology, in a way that is compelling in the cheesiest of ways. Some parts are legitimately entertaining, but they are often spread out among the array of meandering and meaningless sections. For a book that clearly has so much to say, I'm surprised it spent so long on romantic subplot. Calling it "wasted potential" might be too extreme- it was worth my time and I'd gladly read from the author again. But this was a rare case where I got truly excited for a book and didn't quite get what I was hoping for. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
This is a rare book that is both fantasy and sci-fi. It's for books like this that the term "speculative fiction" seem made for. (It also has quite a bit of dystopian fiction thrown in in the last third, there.) But... did I like it? I don't know. It was interesting, that's for sure. And I read it quickly. But I only sort-of liked the main characters and I didn't really like any of the secondary characters. Some of the secondary characters I actively disliked. I thought a lot of the plot was too big and yet also too easy. And lastly, the price paid at the end – even though it was a price paid for something smaller than Saving The World – was barely even a price. They got past the cost way too easily. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Very different to anything I've ever read, I quite enjoyed it. The main theme tackles science vs. nature, Science vs. Magic, the author explores ethics in science, as well as environmental issues. ( )
  melissa0329 | May 12, 2020 |
I enjoyed this. It was hilarious and heartbreaking. A magical, high-tech love story. ( )
  pjohanneson | May 5, 2020 |
3.5 stars...I think. I nearly abandoned this book at around 20%, so I'm giving it an extra half star up from 3 for managing to raise my opinion all that way after that near death reading experience.

This is a pretty weird book. I'll try to not spoil anything. It starts with the world bullying the crap out of two kids, literally everything conspiring to make their lives miserable. Figuratively literally. This is where it almost lost me. Thankfully, after they hatch from this incubator of misery, this book gets quite fun. Laurence is a wizard with tech. Patricia is a wizard with a vagina. A witch, that's the word I was looking for. They both want to save the world, but two factions trying to save the world at once might just be more than the world can take. And now this sounds like an advertisement.

It's witty, and refreshingly not in a Pratchett or Christopher Moore or David Wong way, and it's pretty fast-paced, and occasionally romantic, with cheese that's so low fat you barely taste it. So suffer through the first 20% and you shall be rewarded. Unless you like reading about the various injustices kids get to suffer, in which case your rewards are right there at the beginning. Either way, I was happy to taste something off a different menu. ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |

Anders, Charlie JaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature, I suspect, is on the side of machines. -George Dyson, Darwin Among the Machines
To Annalee
When Patricia was six years old, she found a wounded bird.
"You never learned the secret,” said Roberta. “How to be a crazy motherfucker and get away with it. Everybody else does it. What, you didn’t think they were all sane, did you? Not a one of them. They’re all crazier than you and me put together. They just know how to fake it. You could too, but you’ve chosen to torture all of us instead. That’s the definition of evil right there: not faking it like everybody else. Because all of us crazy fuckers can’t stand it when someone else lets their crazy show. It’s like bugs under the skin. We have to destroy you. It’s nothing personal."
You know … no matter what you do, people are going to expect you to be someone you’re not. But if you’re clever and lucky and work your butt off, then you get to be surrounded by people who expect you to be the person you wish you were.
nature doesn’t ‘find ways’ to do anything. Nature has no opinion, no agenda. Nature provides a playing field, a not particularly level one, on which we compete with all creatures great and small. It’s more that nature’s playing field is full of traps.
Boredom is the mind’s scar tissue.

Patricia's a witch,
Laurence is a scientist.
The world is ending.
(rretzler)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,529,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible