Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Widow of Larkspur Inn by Lawana…

The Widow of Larkspur Inn

by Lawana Blackwell

I initially had a really hard time getting into this, but once I got past the first 6 or 8 chapters, I really enjoyed the story! It reminded me in *some* ways of my favorite series, At Home in Mitford, because of the small town feel and the fact that it was written in numerous people's POV, which I liked.

The characters were all great; although I feel like Julia's children, particularly Aleda and Grace were underdeveloped. Phillip got so much more air time, and we were pretty frequently in his POV, yet there was almost nothing about Aleda and Grace. I loved all of the boardinghouse inmates, and their diverse personalities. My favorite was definitely the actor (I'm blanking on his name right now). He and Fiona were SO sweet and I loved how it ended!!!

One thing I particularly loved about this book was how mild and in the background the romance was. It was almost nonexistent through much of the story.

That twist at the end about Phillip finding the letter he forgot to give Fiona was SO GOOD! I DID NOT see it coming, and that's saying a lot, as I usually do. ;) I was quite literally writhing around in agonies after I found out. XD

All in all, a good read! I docked a start because there were some hard parts to get through, especially in the beginning. Recommend for ages 14 mostly because anyone younger wouldn't be interested in it. It is quite clean, with just a few thing, such as The romantic interest for one character was a philanderer, although there were almost no details given. Other than that, there was just a bit of mild romance, totally appropriate for all ages. ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
Without warning Julia and her children lost everything - except an abandoned village inn.

Book I (Gresham Chronicles Series)
  Indiancreek | Nov 27, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book and all the characters. It is also refreshing to read a Victorian era book that's not set in London for the most part nor a big manor house. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series. ( )
  eliorajoy | Dec 19, 2016 |
I had the worst time trying to get into this novel. In the beginning, I thought that the problem was me. After working 40 hours this week, it was easy to assume that I was having this kind of trouble because I was exhausted and in need of a good rest. So I set the book down and slept for a good six or seven hours. Then I picked it up again and began reading. No, it's not me. The book is simply too dry and drags on endlessly.

While the book is clean and approrpriate for Christian readers, it still lacks many of the things I crave in a good book. I forced myself to finish it. The ending was nice, but it wasn't fantastic or anything. As much as I appreciate clean reads, I just don't see myself re-reading this one.
  caslater83 | Aug 4, 2016 |
I loved this book. My favorite books have characters in them that I would like to know. These characters are so well-developed and believable that by the time I've finished reading the series I'll probably feel like I'm actually having to say goodbye to people I know. ( )
  lcarter11 | May 22, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764202677, Paperback)

When Life Seemed Its Worst, Gresham Awaited

Julia Hollis' opulent life in Victorian London crashes to pieces when her husband passes away. Worse, she is told by his bankers that he gambled away their fortune. Now, the family's hope rests on The Larkspur, an old abandoned coaching inn in the quaint village of Gresham.

Driven by dread and her desire to provide for her children, Julia decides to turn the dilapidated inn into a lodging house. But can she--who was accustomed to servants attending to every need--do what needs to be done and cope when boarders begin arriving? And then an eligible new vicar moves into town...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Her Husband was gone, along with the family fortune and she had nowhere to turn. Make plans to stay awhile in Gresham, and you're sure to be charmed by its beauty and caught up in the lives and romance of it's residents.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,510,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible