How Not to Die: Discover the Foods…

by Michael Greger (Author)

Member:Blondie539
Title:How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
Authors:Michael Greger (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2015), Edition: 1, 576 pages
Rating:*****

How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Michael Greger (Author)

The China Study : The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health by T. Colin Campbell (davesmind)
    davesmind: Both are excellent books and are likely to change what you eat. How not to die is more up to date and more focused on specific foods and diseases.

the best book You can read this year, really ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
In all his work Dr. Michael Greger takes basic research in nutrition, much of it difficult to interpret, and presents it to his readers in a clear and understandable form. This approach is what differentiates him from so many other diet- and nutrition-book authors, who lack a thorough command of the nutritional data. He writes with humour and flair as well.

Some of the other reviews describe his positions as biased, but I was baffled at this. His prescriptions for good health are all based on specific studies and meta-analyses that support his recommendations. He cites these studies in building his case. So his approach is evidence-based. He does advocate a vegan diet, based on the research he cites, which is going to be difficult for many people to accept because this runs counter to traditional dietary practices.

We live in an era in which powerful processed food producers and pharmaceutical companies control media outlets and the diet recommendations governments issue, all in the interests of boosting corporate profits at the expense of human health. It is encouraging to see Dr. Greger oppose this trend simply by advocating what the research literature is telling us. ( )
  bkinetic | Jul 13, 2018 |
Reading this book and following all or at least some of the strong advise given would definitely save or extend life for many including yourself. Dr. Greger is quite persuasive and to the point about how diet is nearly everything when it comes to health and longevity. Yes it helps to have good genes but even with that asset many squander their good fortune by what they put in their mouth daily. That is the central message in the book and he backs up his claims with solid evidence.

On the flip side Dr. Greger also harbors his biases and agenda and that is clearly in favor of vegetarianism. Some of his claims seem to be based on test results with debatable significance I found in doing my own research into him and criticism. Yet having said that I was convinced enough on many of the points he made do re-examine my own dietary habits and make some changes. It my not ultimately extend by life span but it makes sense to takes preventive steps when it comes well being and that message hit home with me. ( )
  knightlight777 | Apr 6, 2017 |
I don't rate many books five stars but How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Gregor is well written and researched that I find it a fantastic source for information on the benefits of a plant based diet. Dr Gerber begins by delving deeply into each major disease causing factor for death with extensive facts on the causes and how a plant based diet can impact that disease. He points out with great detail the foods that are scientifically proven to prevent and in many cases cure or reverse the disease. The first 15 chapters of the book pick specifics like heart, lung, brain, liver, kidney and more diseases. He also looks at an array of specific cancers like lung, breast, blood, prostate and more. He follows this up with all the research on specific foods and all the nutritional benefits, how to use them, prepare them and where to get them. He calls it his daily dozen. This is a large book and about one-third is dedicated just to the notes for the extensive research. I believe I may have used an entire highlighter just on this book alone. It will be a staple reference in my health library and I would highly recommend for anyone interested in their health and wellbeing. ( )
  realbigcat | Dec 24, 2016 |
From the physician behind the wildly popular web site NutritionFacts.org, How Not To Die reveals the groundbreaking scientific evidence behind the only diet that can prevent and reverse many of the causes of disease-related death. The simple truth is that most doctors are good at treating acute illnesses but bad at preventing chronic disease. The fifteen leading causes of premature death - illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, high blood pressure, and others - claim the lives o 1.6 million Americans annually. This doesn't have to be the case. By following Dr. Greger's advice, all of it backed up by strong scientific evidence, you will learn which foods to eat and which lifestyle changes to make to help prevent or fight these diseases and to live longer. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 8, 2016 |

Greger, MichaelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stone, GeneAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"From the physician behind the wildly popular website NutritionFacts.org, How Not to Die reveals the groundbreaking scientific evidence behind the only diet that can prevent and reverse many of the causes of disease-related death.The vast majority of premature deaths can be prevented through simple changes in diet and lifestyle. In How Not to Die, Dr. Michael Greger, the internationally-renowned nutrition expert, physician, and founder of NutritionFacts.org, examines the fifteen top causes of premature death in America heart disease, various cancers, diabetes, Parkinson's, high blood pressure, and more and explains how nutritional and lifestyle interventions can sometimes trump prescription pills and other pharmaceutical and surgical approaches, freeing us to live healthier lives. The simple truth is that most doctors are good at treating acute illnesses but bad at preventing chronic disease. The fifteen leading causes of death claim the lives of 1.6 million Americans annually. This doesn't have to be the case. By following Dr. Greger's advice, all of it backed up by strong scientific evidence, you will learn which foods to eat and which lifestyle changes to make to live longer. History of prostate cancer in your family? Put down that glass of milk and add flaxseed to your diet whenever you can. Have high blood pressure? Hibiscus tea can work better than a leading hypertensive drug-and without the side effects. Fighting off liver disease? Drinking coffee can reduce liver inflammation. Battling breast cancer? Consuming soy is associated with prolonged survival. Worried about heart disease (the number 1 killer in the United States)? Switch to a whole-food, plant-based diet, which has been repeatedly shown not just to prevent the disease but often stop it in its tracks. In addition to showing what to eat to help treat the top fifteen causes of death, How Not to Die includes Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen a checklist of the twelve foods we should consume every day. Full of practical, actionable advice and surprising, cutting edge nutritional science, these doctor's orders are just what we need to live longer, healthier lives"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,534,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible