The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of…

The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Olivia Laing (Author)

Member:adamtyoung
Title:The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone
Authors:Olivia Laing (Author)
Info:Picador (2017), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone by Olivia Laing (2016)

In this really interesting book, Olivia Laing is focusing on the loneliness of artists (Edward Hopper, Andy Warhol, Henry Darger, David Wojnarowicz, etc.). She speaks about the causes, but also about the consequences of loneliness.
I won this book on Goodreads, and I was not disappointed! Olivia Laing writes very well. Some passages are moving, especially in the chapter on Henry Darger. Something I really liked is the analysis of some artworks.
To sum up, if you like art, this book is really worth it. ( )
  JulietteGF | Mar 27, 2018 |
Laing's book mixes her own experience of loneliness with her attempts to understand it. She discusses psychological theories about the condition and also examines the work of artists who seem to embody loneliness in their art. It's a beautiful book, full of insight, kindness, sorrow and love. ( )
  missizicks | Mar 7, 2018 |
As the title implies, this is a book for the lonely, for those trying to understand, and empathize with, those who feel, or seem, isolated and alone. As Laing weaves her narrative around artists and her own personal story, we see what rises from the ashes of seclusion, something that on the surface looks confident and secure can be otherwise. Loneliness is not in itself a terrible thing. In fact, it can be beautiful and fulfilling. But what the Lonely City does is take us through the streets of those tucked away, who show loneliness through art, something we take for granted when all we see is bright shiny neon and dark crimson brushes of acrylic. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Oct 3, 2017 |
Laing flyttar till New York för att börja ett nytt liv, men hennes förhållande kraschar och hon plötsligt befinner sig alldeles ensam i den stora staden.
För att kunna hantera den nya och obekväma situationen, utforskar Laing flera artisters liv, vars tillvaron präglats av ensamhet (Edward Hopper, Andy Warhol m.fl.)
Hon berättar om sina tankar och känslor från den perioden på ett uppriktigt sätt, men har fokus på konst som verktyg för att hantera ensamhet. ( )
  Damir_C | Sep 10, 2017 |
This isn't badly written, but it wasn't compelling for me. It's mostly about a handful of artists and the idea of a sense of loneliness in their lives and work seems a bit forced. The memoirish bits about the author are really not interesting. It all seems a little disjointed and just was not what I was expecting. ( )
  KimMeyer | Sep 7, 2017 |
'and every one members one of another'

Romans 12:5
If you're lonely,
this one's for you
Imagine standing by a window at night, on the sixth or seventh or forty-third floor of a building.

"You can be lonely anywhere, but there is a particular flavor to the loneliness that comes from living in a city, surrounded by thousands of strangers. The Lonely City is a roving cultural history of urban loneliness, centered on the ultimate city: Manhattan, that teeming island of gneiss, concrete, and glass. What does it mean to be lonely? How do we live, if we're not intimately involved with another human being? How do we connect with other people, particularly if our sexuality or physical body is considered deviant or damaged? Does technology draw us closer together or trap us behind screens? Olivia Laing explores these questions by travelling deep into the work and lives of some of the century's most original artists, among them Andy Warhol, David Wojnarowicz, Edward Hopper, Henry Darger and Klaus Nomi. Part memoir, part biography, part dazzling work of cultural criticism, The Lonely City is not just a map, but a celebration of the state of loneliness. It's a voyage out to a strange and sometimes lovely island, adrift from the larger continent of human experience, but visited by many - millions, say - of souls"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,018,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible