Scales by Pauline R Creeden

Title:Scales
Authors:Pauline R Creeden
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2015), Paperback, 140 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mermaid mermer and merpeople, fantasy, read in 2015, 3 star review, pauline creeden, scales, novella, mermaids mermen and merpeople

Scales by Pauline Creeden

Scales by Pauline Creeden is a mermaid novella and does not stand alone.

I love anything to do with mer people and when I see a book, I will grab it pronto. The cover is beautiful and the title catchy, makes me think I will enjoy Pauline’s writing.

The Reckoning has come for Verona. Will she choose the land or the sea?

I wonder…do mers go to school? Do they learn to read and write? Do they quote Shakespeare?

Pauline’s vivid and detailed description of Verona changing from breathing water to breathing air had me hanging on her every word.

I feel Verona’s sense of accomplishment when she catches her first fish. She has worked hard to learn something I had thought would come easily to her. Pauline does a great job of showing us her growth and development as she struggles to survive.

Verona has made friends with the horses of Chincoteague. When the annual roundup occurrs, she feels like she is losing her furry friends. At least they will be together, she thinks, but she is so alone. I have read about the horses and find it fascinating.

I do not see a lot of mer books, so I am always on the lookout for an original approach to the subject. Pauline’s writing kept my interest throughout the novella.

The novella ends abruptly and I was pissed. LOL Now I have to wait to find out what happens next, but I will be waiting.

I received Scales by Pauline Creeden in return for an honest review. ( )
  sherry69 | Jun 19, 2015 |
Scales was an interesting look at what it might be like to see the world from the eyes of a mermaid. I liked the plot of the story and was curious as to how it would turn out.

Though Verona never spoke to a Land Walker, it felt as though she got to know Betty. I think Verona learned a lot just from her observations of the people on land.

While the plot twists added excitement and danger to the story, I found some of the plot points to be a little bit predictable. Once I saw that Bailey was helping her, I suspected what might be going to happen. Nevertheless, it did not take away from the enjoyment of reading the book.

I saw a lot of growth in Verona’s character throughout the novelette. While others of her clan may have gotten educated in school, she was learning huge life lessons about survival. I liked her quite a bit. I felt she was quite sweet, though perhaps a bit naïve. Bailey on the other hand seemed to be quite snippy, but I think it was more a way to hide his real feelings. And when he wasn’t snippy with her, he wouldn’t speak. The one who truly seemed dangerous was Brandeeb.

Since this is the first book in a series, there are obviously plot points which are not resolved by the end of the book. Scales almost feels like an introduction or a prequel to the first novel of the series. I am looking forward to the release of the next book to see what trouble it brings to Verona. I very much enjoyed Scales and rated it 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publishers for providing the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/scales-blog-tour-with-pauli... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | May 29, 2015 |

Pauline Creeden is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible