Escape from Witchwood Hollow by Jordan…

Escape from Witchwood Hollow

by Jordan Elizabeth

I was offered an ebook copy of this book for an honest review.

Thank you for sharing the story with me, I enjoyed it. This book description wouldn't have caught my attention because it's not one of my go to favorite genres, so it's a good reminder to branch out into other genres and find something new and unique.

This book alternated three main characters and timelines.
There is Lady Clifford, the witch.
In the 1850's there is Albertine.
Finally, in 2001 there is Honoria.

Honoria lost her parents on 9/11, her and her brother move in with her aunt and uncle and they move from the city to a small, country town.

On her first day of school she learns the legend of Witchwood Hollow. Tales are told of people who wandered into the woods and were never seen again. People talk of a witch who lives there and is supposedly eating them.

I'm not one for a scary story and thankfully this wasn't scary.
It told a very interesting story of the three characters Honoria, Albertine and Lady Clifford who were all young women dealing with great loss in their lives.

The parts of the story in Witchwood Hollow were the most interesting. I don't want to spoil anything but I'm just going to say that it reminded me of Neverland.

I kept thinking how this would make a movie I would have loved as a teenager. When I read the author's note at the end, she mentioned that making it a movie is a dream of hers. I can definitely picture that.

Enjoyable story and unexpected ending. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Honoria moves to a small town with her aunt, uncle and brother after her parents died in the Twin Towers. She gets caught up in the legend of Witchwood Hollow, a place were people enter but never leave. This was an interesting read and was told from three different perspectives including the witch and one of the people to disappear into the Hollow. I enjoyed the story, it was well written and the legend was good. I did feel the ending was slightly rushed but I would recommend this book. ( )
  skgregory | May 25, 2018 |
Honoria has a whole history she’d love to escape from—parents dead on 9/11, aunt and uncle taking her and her brother to live in the country, new school, new strangers, new rules… and light that sort of forms a face when she’s drawing trees in art class. But the face is in Witchwood Hollow, and how can the other kids resist taunting the newcomer with the local myth?

Jordan Elizabeth’s Escape from Witchwood Hollow combines stories from different centuries and characters from different places, gradually leading the reader to piece it all together. It’s an intriguing tale, filled with nicely researched history, and it’s evocatively scary. The meaning of family, friendship, even romance, all come under scrutiny in a place where love has warped the lives of its captives. Escape can be from or to, and readers might have to choose.

Just complex enough, just far enough out of the normal, Escape from Witchwood Hollow is a pleasingly curious and mysterious adventure for teens and young adults.

Disclosure: I was given a copy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 22, 2018 |
--Read my full review of the book at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

**I received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

I don't usually enjoy witch-based stories, though there have been notable exceptions in the past. But what intrigued me about Escape from Witchwood Hollow was the mystery of Witchwood.

One of my favourite aspects of this story is the flashbacks to the past. I love layers to my story, and by alternating POVs that's exactly what happens. It was fun trying to take everything in and put it all together to figure out what is happening in Arnn.

Despite the alternating POVs keeping the plot moving, I did find the book to be terribly slow at the start. Not a lot is happening besides Honoria trying to learn about her new school and town. Which is why I appreciated the other POVs because it gave me something to be interested in while building the story.

And once everything comes together and the mystery comes to light, this book is great. I love when I can't really figure out the plot until the big reveal and that's what happened in this book.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p7hLUw-1Bs
Actual Rating: 3.5/5

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Very well thought out plot. The transition between the different time periods was smooth. A very good read, I would definitely recommend this book to others to read. ( )
  BL_Clark | Aug 14, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,543,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible