Escape from Witchwood Hollow by Jordan…

Escape from Witchwood Hollow (edition 2014)

by Jordan Elizabeth (Author)

2013515,329 (4.17)None
Member:itsJUSTme
Title:Escape from Witchwood Hollow
Authors:Jordan Elizabeth (Author)
Info:Curiosity Quills Press (2014), 180 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Paranormal, Witches, Ghost

Escape from Witchwood Hollow by Jordan Elizabeth

From the mesmerizing and beautiful cover, to the unique and intriguing tale contained within, "Escape from Witch Hollow" by Jordan Elizabeth, is a treasure of a book from beginning to end. I enjoyed this story immensely and was quite surprised by it. It's different than a lot of the YA paranormal books out there and has a very interesting and inventive story line. I was impressed with the beautiful interior design of the book as well. The author handles the transitions from modern day to the past quite well, and once I started reading this fantasy/fairy tale, I couldn't stop. Out of all the various YA supernatural/paranormal books out there, you would do well to pick up this one. I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's output.

***I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*** ( )
  DTChantel | Jun 12, 2017 |
Lady Elizabeth Clifford is on the run in the newly settled area of Arnn, New York in 1670. She is accused of murder and has taken off into the thick woods. Her attackers have lost her, and are calling her a witch. So, Lady Clifford decides to settle into her patch of woods and become exactly what they called her. As time passes and Arnn becomes more settled, several people wonder into Witchwood and never return making Witchwood Hollow fully steeped in folklore. In 2001 15 year old Honoria, her brother and aunt and uncle move to Arnn in order to escape the City and the tragedy of the 9/11 terrorist attacks that killed her parents. Honoria is drawn into the woods by some friends at her school; she makes it through and is continually drawn back by a feeling in the woods- something in Witchwood Hollow might be able to bring her parents back and Honoria would be willing to do it.

This young adult paranormal/ historical crossover drew me in from the beginning with the legend of Witchwood Hollow. The historical aspect and being able to learn about Lady Elizabeth Clifford and her motivations made this very interesting for me, although I am also a huge sucker for dual-time stories. Honoria's character was intriguing to watch as she learned about the Witchwood,, I was unsure if she was going to fall victim or be healed by it. From the historical end, the mystery of the Witchwood expanded as lost characters came together. This was a shorter read that I devoured in a shorter setting, but I think it would have still kept my interest if the lives of each of the lost characters was expanded upon. While the ending was very shocking, it was a little too serendipitous in some aspects . Although, I do appreciate the parallels between Honoria and Elizabeth. I do wish that I would have learned how the Witchwood reacted after everything. ( )
  Mishker | May 11, 2017 |
Thanks to the author for a free copy of this book, though that has in now way shaped my review! Read more reviews at https://spinesinaline.wordpress.com

This is kind of a creepy novel but not scary (which I'm glad of!), as we learn about the mysterious history of the town of Arnn. We get to hear from three different women from three different times so this was a really interesting way to tell the story, though some of these narrators got on my nerves. Luckily, the main character is really well-written so I enjoyed most of the book!

We almost get a love triangle set-up here but rather than buy into that cliche storyline we actually get friends in this book! I thought that was really well-done and definitely made this stand out from other books of the same genre.

There are so many aspects of this book that made it feel different so it was really refreshing! Just such an enjoyable read! ( )
  Lib-books | Oct 30, 2016 |
I obtained this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. It was said that those that entered Witchwood Hollow never returned again most, and most said it was a myth, but those that entered knew the truth; they would never find their way out again thanks to the witch that curse the hollows. In Amn, a small village in New York, Honoria was still grieving for her mom and dad who were killed in the World Trade Center bombing and she was adjusting to her new life with her aunt and uncle, It was hard to be the new kid at school when she couldn't make friends with anyone fast like her brother. This is a story that spans several families and generations and made me cry at its end. WELL DONE JORDAN!! ( )
  Linda.Bass | Sep 21, 2016 |
I was expecting a young adult fantasy and the story delivered that but what I was not expecting was a story with time transitions and multiple storylines woven together to create an intriguing mystery that made you hang on until the end.

Honoria and her brother have moved to Arnn with their aunt and uncle after the recent loss of their parents. Honoria is still reeling from the loss of her parents and grieving. Trying to make the best of things she attempts a friendship with a couple of girls from her new school. It is through them that Honoria is introduced to the legend of Witchwood Hollow.

Witchwood Hollow is a cursed forest that is located just outside of Arnn. For a very long time there have been warnings that the witch drew people in but they were never seen again. So the legend of the Hollow was circulated and all knew to be wary of these woods, but there always seemed to be those who disregarded the warnings. The “curse” was very well explained and through the weaving of the multiple timelines we are able to understand what the witch’s intention was and why she kept some people and not others.

Through a parallel storyline we learned about the birth of the legend of the witch from Witchwood Hollow, who she was and how she came to be the witch of the hollow. In another parallel storyline we learned about a woman who was taken captive by the Hollow and her significance in the decrease of abductions.

The time transitions are nicely done. The three main characters are interesting and well thought out. It does not follow the typical YA formulaic fantasy module, which is very nice. There is some humor, the dialogue and emotional context does feel real and not forced. The ending is a bit of a shocker but gives you a nice tidy ending. Overall I thought it was a nice read with all the right elements to make it a stand out story.

*Thank you to Jordan Elizabeth for this digital copy of Escape from Witchwood Hollow* ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jun 13, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,048,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible