The Gap of Time by Jeanette Winterson

The Gap of Time (2015)

by Jeanette Winterson

English (54)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
Very moving retelling of one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I have really enjoyed the Shakespeare "cover versions" I've read so far, so I was glad when my friend Angela sent me this one to read. It's a retelling of The Winter's Tale, and helpfully has a recap of the original play at the beginning. I liked the story, but wasn't quite expecting the graphic sex scenes. They come at you pretty fast and furious at the beginning of the book, but taper off toward the end. It's a good story, and I enjoy Winterson's version of the tale. I'll definitely be looking for more books in this series. If you're interested in it too, I'll just say Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed is my favorite so far. ( )
  jennyo | May 25, 2018 |
Beautiful, just beautiful. I love these modern interpretations of Shakespeare. Jeanette Winterson has crafted a magical version of The Winter's Tale, about an asshat who thinks his wife is having an affair and loses everything because of his own insecurities. There's a helpful summary of the play as an introduction for people like me who only know Shakespeare's heavy hitters, but the story is strong enough and the writing poetic enough to stand alone. All the comparison with the source material does is show how cleverly Winterson has adopted the Bard's characters and made them her own. Definitely recommended! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Apr 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Never having read A Winter's Tale, the Shakespeare play on which this novel is based, I waded into The Gap of Time with no preconceived notions. The lack of familiarity wasn't a hindrance, however; Jeanette Winterson thoughtfully provides a synopsis of the play before the novel begins; even that synopsis is unnecessary unless one is looking for the similarities and parallels. I wasn't, and so I enjoyed the novel for its own sake.

Briefly, Leo Kaiser suspects his pregnant wife MiMi is cheating on him with his best friend Xeno, and believes that the child she carries is not his own. He mistreats her so badly that she leaves him, but not until he steals her newborn daughter. A series of miscommunications result in the infant being abandoned in a "Baby Hatch" and subsequently adopted and lost to her birth family. Some seventeen years later, circumstances bring unknowing child and unwitting parent together.

I loved young Perdita and Zel; Perdita's adoptive father Shep is warm and gruff and sweet; Xeno and MiMi are beautiful and tragic...the only character for whom I couldn't find any redemption was Leo, who is unremittingly awful to the point of caricature throughout the entire novel.

Leo aside, there is some gorgeous writing in this novel. I really should have marked the passages I found particularly lovely. Nicely done, Ms. Winterson.

Thank you to LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program for the opportunity to read this book. ( )
  avanta7 | Mar 11, 2018 |
Such a disappointment. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Dec 21, 2017 |
Past fifty, we learn with surprise and a sense of suicidal absolution that what we intended and failed could never have happened—and must be done better.
—"For Sheridan," Robert Lowell
The Place. The play opens in Sicilia—one of Shakespeare's many fantasy islands.
It takes so little time to change a lifetime and it takes a lifetime to understand the change.

The Winter’s Tale is one of Shakespeare’s “late plays.” It tells the story of a king whose jealousy results in the banishment of his baby daughter and the death of his beautiful wife. His daughter is found and brought up by a shepherd on the Bohemian coast, but through a series of extraordinary events, father and daughter, and eventually mother too, are reunited.

In The Gap of Time, Jeanette Winterson’s cover version of The Winter’s Tale, we move from London, a city reeling after the 2008 financial crisis, to a storm-ravaged American city called New Bohemia. Her story is one of childhood friendship, money, status, technology and the elliptical nature of time. Written with energy and wit, this is a story of the consuming power of jealousy on the one hand, and redemption and the enduring love of a lost child on the other.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 05 Jul 2015 10:17:11 -0400)

A modern retelling of Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale" moves from London after the 2008 financial crisis to the storm-ravaged American city of New Bohemia, in a story of the destructive effect of jealousy and the redemptive power of love.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jeanette Winterson's book The Gap of Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,534,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible