Summersaults by Douglas Florian

Summersaults (edition 2002)

by Douglas Florian, Douglas Florian (Illustrator)

Member:mdgilmor
Title:Summersaults
Authors:Douglas Florian
Other authors:Douglas Florian (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2002), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:poetry, k-3, seasons, summer

Summersaults by Douglas Florian

What all happens when you do summersaults.
  athomasolivias | Nov 12, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book of poems. One reason I liked this book of poems is because of the feelings I got while reading them. They are all about summer and the author does a great job of making you really imagine the things he writes. One of the poems on page 11 is called What I love About Summer. It captured summer so perfectly for me. Part of it says, "Ice cream cones Double Plays And barefoot days." That is my favorite line because walking in the grass barefoot is one of my favorite things about summer. This book helped me to recall a lot of my favorite things about summer.

Another reason I enjoyed this book is because there is a poem in it called What I Hate About Summer and even the things listed in this poem brought back good memories. One of the lines is "Thunderstorms Humid nights Mosquito bites." This made me think of a good memory from my childhood during a thunderstorm.

The main idea in this book is summer and all of the things that go on during summer. The author is trying to make you imagine all of the things he is writing. ( )
  jraeke1 | Mar 25, 2014 |
Summersaults is a collection of short poems about Summer from start to finish. In includes silly poems that relate to what a child may experience during the summer. ( )
  mdgilmor | Nov 23, 2012 |
Strongly evocative of the season, at the right price (or from the library), this would be a delightful read-aloud/read-alone book for children ages 5-9.

Short pithy poems, charming colourful illustrations, imaginative and enchanting.

Read the Full Review here: http://www.epinions.com/content_263717031556 ( )
  jc_hall | Mar 7, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060292679, Hardcover)

It's summertime, and if you're a kid, the living can be very easy indeed. Douglas Florian's ode to the simmering, shimmering, sizzling, fizzling, flaming season of sun places every reader smack dab in the middle of a summer day (or night), with all its resident fireflies, cartwheels, green frogs, and sidewalk scooters. This companion volume to Florian's award-winning Winter Eyes celebrates summer with 48 short poems and accompanying watercolor and colored pencil illustrations. In "Bees," a child pithily reports:
I'm pleased by bees
Except for one thing:
The sting.
Against a brilliant yellow green grassy background, a redheaded boy sits placidly reading inside mosquito netting, half a dozen bees buzzing longingly nearby. Swarming with humor and honesty about barefoot days, humid nights, and those "Three words / Most cruel: / Back to school," this bright collection by the talented author-illustrator of Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs will demand year-round attention. (Ages 5 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:49 -0400)

In 28 poems, Florian writes of hazy days, fly balls, and swimming holes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible