Unflinching: The Making of a Canadian Sniper…

Unflinching: The Making of a Canadian Sniper

by Jody Mitic

202719,260 (3.83)3

Mitic spent 20 years in the Canadian Armed Forces most with the Royal Canadian Regiment. In this volume he describes his developing interest in the military and how he almost ruined his career before it started. It took him some time to get to a sniper, his real interest. He eventually went to Afghanistan where he finally got to apply his sniper skills.

As he spent most of his time outside the wire, he is able to give us a vivid picture of that dry, damaged country and the many people he met and helped. He also experienced the bad guys as well and how. On a mission, he stepped on a land mine and lost both his feet. A small portion of the book is about the aftermath of that explosion and his recovery. He is now a motivational speaker and city councilor in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. ( )
  lamour | Dec 19, 2015 |
This book is written by an amazing man, Jody Mitic. It tells the story of how he always wanted to be a soldier. He honestly portrays his life in the Canadian Armed Forces, talking about his hard work, his successes and his mistakes.

At 30 years of age, Jody stepped on a land mine and lost both of his legs below the knee. I first heard of him in a speech given by then Chief of Defense Staff, General Rick Hillier. He spoke of Jody's determination to continue to contribute to Canada by making things better for wounded veterans.

I next encountered Jody when he competed in the first season of The Amazing Race Canada with his brother. I was cheering for them all season long...they came in second. Jody's efforts and abilities on artificial legs, and the strong bond evident between him and his brother were inspirational.

Jody is now a City Councillor in Ottawa. And married to the medic who treated him on the site of his injury.

Any Canadian will feel a sense of pride in reading this book. And any person will be inspired by Jody's example. ( )
  LynnB | Nov 16, 2015 |
Part 1:  Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back -- Heraclitus
Part 2:  The more thou sweateth in training, the less thou bleedeth in combat -- Richard Marcinkio, SEAL Team Six
Part 3:  The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms for one's country -- General George S. Patton Jr.
Part 4:  The ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in -- Sebastian Junger, The Perfect Storm
This book is dedicated to my fellow snipers and to the men and women in the Canadian Armed Forces, past, present and future. Pro patria.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147679510X, Hardcover)

Elite sniper Jody Mitic loved being a soldier. His raw, candid, and engrossing memoir follows his personal journey into the Canadian military, through sniper training, and firefights in Afghanistan, culminating on the fateful night when he stepped on a landmine and lost both of his legs below the knees.

Afghanistan, 2007. I was a Master Corporal, part of an elite sniper team sent on a mission to flush out Taliban in an Afghan village. I had just turned thirty, after three tours of duty overseas. I’d been shot at by mortars, eyed the enemy through my scope, survived through stealth and stamina. I’d been training for war my entire adult life. But nothing prepared me for what happened next.

A twenty-year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces, Jody Mitic served as a Master Corporal and Sniper Team Leader on three active tours of duty over the course of seven years. Known for his deadly marksmanship, his fearlessness in the face of danger, and his “never quit” attitude, he was a key player on the front in Afghanistan. As a sniper, he secured strongholds from rooftops, engaged in perilous ground combat, and joined classified night operations to sniff out the enemy.

In this gritty, no-holds-barred memoir, Jody reveals he was born to be a soldier. An aimless teen in search of belonging, he found brotherhood and discipline in army life. In sniper school, he learned the mindset of a hunter-killer and developed the hyper-sensory precision of a human predator.

On the warfront, Jody experienced first-hand the valour and the chaos, the battle scars and the pain of war—including the tragic losses of fellow soldiers wounded or killed in action. And one day in 2007, when he was on a mission in a small Afghan village, he stepped on a landmine and the course of his life was forever changed. After losing both of his legs below the knees, Jody was forced to confront the loss of the only identity he had ever known—that of a soldier.

Determined to be of service to his family and to his country, he refused to let injury defeat him. Within three years after the explosion, he was not only walking again, he was running. By 2013, he was a star on the blockbuster reality TV show Amazing Race. And in 2014, Jody reinvented himself yet again, winning a seat as a city councillor for Ottawa.

Unflinching is a powerful chronicle of the honour and sacrifice of an ordinary Canadian fighting for his country, and an authentic portrait of military life. It’s also an inspirational memoir about living your dreams, even in the face of overwhelming adversity, and having the courage to soldier on.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jul 2015 15:24:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,022,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible