The Swan Kingdom by Zoë Marriott

The Swan Kingdom (edition 2008)

by Zoë Marriott

Info:Candlewick (2008), Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:read
Tags:fantasy

The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott

This is a beautiful fairy tale retelling of a young girl, and her three brothers, who live in a magical kingdom, with their mother, and father. The king and queen of the land. Everything goes well, until their mother dies, and one day, their father turns up with a new mother. But this mother is different, and she resents her stepchildren, so turns her new sons into swans. But before she can do anything to the girl, servants smuggle her out, and send her to her Aunt.
In the end, it is now up to the girl to save her brothers, and rescue the kingdom, from the evil of this new threat!
This story was along the same lines as Juliet Marillier's book 'Daughter of the Forest', but I loved it just the same. ( )
  seascape | Mar 22, 2019 |
I have had this book on my TBR pile for quite some time. I was excited to get a chance to finally read it. This is a retelling of The Wild Swans fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen. It was a very straight-forward retelling of this fairy tale and I found it to be a bit bland.

This book sticks to the Wild Swans fairytale fairly closely. It does give our heroine magic powers and twists up the end of the tale some. I enjoyed this slight departure from the original tale but it wasn’t enough to make the story really unique and engaging for me.

Some of the description was very well done and I enjoyed our heroine Alexandra. However, the relationships in the book fell a bit flat. Alexandra’s romance was a bit blah. Her relationship with her brothers also felt a bit surfacey. I just never engaged with these characters very well.

Overall this is an okay retelling of the Wild Swans fairy tale but it wasn’t unique enough or engaging enough to really capture my attention. I would recommend reading Juliet Marillier’s “Daughter of the Forest” instead of this book if you are interested in an awesome retelling of the Wild Swans fairy tale. Alethea Kontis’s “Dearest” is also a well done retelling of this tale. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 8, 2017 |
This poor girl has so many problems. It's just one bad thing after another. I was hoping for half of the book that she would see that boy from the beach again.

The finally battle scene was a little strange. Like how Harry finally defeated Voldemort. Got to do some weird Jedi mind tricks while dead and the poof! the bad guy is gone and all is well.

It wasn't bad though. It was easy to read and it had me turning pages when I should have been doing more important things. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This is an easy and quick read but it didn't really work for me. Usually I love fairy tale retellings but I just didn't feel any connection to the characters in this. It just all seemed far too easy. Perhaps I'm just not the target demographic. Juliet Marillier does it much better in "Daughter of the Forest". ( )
  infjsarah | Aug 12, 2016 |
Not my usual genre (this is more fairytale instead of my normal grazing grounds of Fantasy and SF), but it is well written and engaging. I really enjoyed it. At least you don't have to worry about whether the ending is happy! ( )
  PeterWhitfield | May 19, 2016 |

Is a retelling of

My first memory is of the smell of sun-warmed earth.

Darkness has fallen across a kingdom far, far away. The queen is dead killed in the forest by a terrifying beast and her daughter, Alexandra, suspects that the new woman in her father's life is more than she seems. Exiled and betrayed, Alexandra must face magic, murder and the loss of all she holds dear in a desperate struggle against evil.

Inspired by the classic Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale The Wild Swans.

A new voice in fantasy weaves a rich, entrancing tale of a girl with powerful healing gifts —- and the courage to use them to save her ailing kingdom.

Shadows fall across the beautiful, lush kingdom after the queen is attacked by an unnatural beast, and the healing skills of her daughter, Alexandra, cannot save her. Too soon the widowed king is spellbound by a frightening stranger, a woman whose eyes reflect no light. In a terrifying moment, all Alexandra knows disappears, including her beloved brothers, leaving her banished to a barren land. But Alexandra has more gifts than she realizes as she confronts magic, murder, and the strongest of evil forces, and is unflinchingly brave as she struggles to reclaim what is rightfully hers. Fantasy lovers will be held in thrall by this tale full of visual detail, peppered with a formidable destructive force and sweetened with familial and romantic love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

When Alexa's mother is killed, her father marries a cunning and powerful woman and her brothers disappear, sending Alexa on a long, dangerous journey as she attempts to harness the mystical power she inherited from her mother and restore the kingdom to its proper balance.… (more)

Zoë Marriott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763634816, 0763642932

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,908,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible