dismiss

Whiskey Sour (2004)

by J. A. Konrath

Series: Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mystery (1)

Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is having a bad week. Her live-in boyfriend has left her for his personal trainer, chronic insomnia has caused her to max out her credit cards with late-night home shopping purchases, and a frightening killer who calls himself "The Gingerbread Man" is dumping mutilated bodies in her district. While avoiding the FBI and its moronic profiling computer, joining a dating service, mixing it up with street thugs, and parrying the advances of an uncouth PI, Jack and her binge-eating partner, Herb, must catch the maniac before he kills again...and Jack is next on his murder list. Whiskey Sour is the first book in the bestselling Jack Daniels series, full of laugh-out-loud humor and edge-of-your-seat suspense.… (more)

This was an entertaining mystery which combined thriller level suspense and some humor, including some really bad puns, in an engaging mystery. Lieutenant "Jack" Daniels of the Chicago Police Department's Violent Crimes division is having a bad week. Besides her live-in boyfriend deciding to leave her for his personal trainer and raging insomnia, I serial killer who calls himself the Gingerbread Man is leaving bodies in 7-Elevens in her district.

Things go from bad to worse when two FBI Agents are assigned to help with the case and try to help by using profiling to identify the killer. Jack doesn't think it is likely that the killer is a Canadian bed-wetter who rides a horse and has scoliosis though. She and her partner Detective Benedict, who seems to be constantly eating, are busy following their own clues to the killer.

When the killer seems to develop a crush on Jack, things get even worse. And her partner's suggestion that she sign up with a dating agency to find someone to care for outside of the police force could have come at a better time.

I enjoyed the many quirky characters in this story and look forward to reading more of Jack's adventures. ( )
  kmartin802 | Nov 24, 2019 |
I really wish I could give this book 4 stars instead of 3 because it isn’t a 3-star book but there are so many items that bothered that I couldn’t bring myself to rate it higher. Most of this I think rests with the description that got me to want to read the book. I felt kind of betrayed by the book. This isn’t light hearted at all and most of the humor is stupid jokes at the expense of overweight people.

The main character is my biggest issue and that doesn’t bode well for me wanting to continue reading the series. She seems to just exist to make smart ass comments and insult everyone. The reveal of the killer is a little too easy which lead to a finale between cop and killer that is not well written and drags on way too long. There are so many problems with the final confrontation but it would be giving too much of the story away to discuss more.

The only reason I will probably continue the series is because of Harry Benedict who is by far one of the best supporting characters ever written. I loved it every time he was part of the story and wanted Jack to show him a little more respect. Also, the mystery was so captivating I was hooked from the first body. The murderer is an excellent adversary for Jack and you can sense his intelligence and understand why he would be so hard to catch. I loved how the book rotated points of view between cop and killer. The only issue I have with the killer is that his is a little too omnipotent.

I also really enjoyed the duel narration of Susie Breck and Dick Hill. They really brought the book to life with the dual point of views of cop and killer. Not only did they do good a great job of the two main point of views but also brought all the other characters life with such talent that you never doubt who is speaking. ( )
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
This is the first book in the Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mystery series. The story was very exciting. The dead on the way but were killed in a very bestial way. In between I suffered with Jack, since she herself became the target of the killer and her watch was not exactly excellent. It was funny how she met her ex-colleague again, who on the one hand put obstacles in her path but on the other hand was also there when things got hot. I also smiled when the FBI profiler agents came into play. They were portrayed as if they were idiots.
Various women were killed and long lacked the common background. Jack and her current colleague fight on all fronts to find out the commonality of the victims, so they can take the killer. It is very dangerous for Jack. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 19, 2019 |
Book 1 of Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels series
I kind of went all-in on Konrath before really reading anything beyond his short stories. While I currently have fourteen of his novels already purchased and on my To Be Read list, this is really the first one I read. Yes, technically I did read AFRAID but he wrote that as Jack Kilborn, his not-so-secret pen name. Kilborn is supposed to author the scarier novels while Konrath writes everything else. Or at least that's how I understand it. Anyway, WHISKEY SOUR is a great start to what is obviously a fun yet at-times gruesome series.

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is a Chicago police detective with a limited personal life and a serious bout of insomnia. She's dedicated to her job and not just because she has been assigned a major case on "The Gingerbread Man" killer. And while her partner, the F.B.I., and others are trying to help, Jack won't be able to rest until the case is solved.

After reading this book, I understand why Konrath and Jeff Strand are so often compared and grouped together. Humor is used extensively through the book to lighten some of the graphic and intense scenes. I've seen multiple reviews talking about how funny the book is; while I enjoyed the humor, it wasn't THAT funny. Which is also fine. I really enjoyed the mystery and suspense and graphic nature of the book. To be honest, the death scenes will stick with me longer than the bad but funny puns. I did find myself wishing that Konrath hadn't made the F.B.I. so inept. They are there to add some humor but not too much more. Hopefully the same agents will be present in future books but will be accurate in their profile. Or at least helpful instead of window dressing. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Jack Daniels series. ( )
  dagon12 | Jan 30, 2019 |
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |

J. A. Konrathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WHISKEY SOUR
1 1/2 oz. whiskey
1 1/2 oz. sour mix
Shake well with ice and pour into an old-fashioned glass.
This book is for M.
I love you today, and every day.
There were four black and whites already at the 7-Eleven when I arrived.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,872,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible