Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Whiskey Sour: A Jack Daniels Mystery (Jack…

Whiskey Sour: A Jack Daniels Mystery (Jack Daniels Mysteries) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by J. A. Konrath

Member:werlaxn
Title:Whiskey Sour: A Jack Daniels Mystery (Jack Daniels Mysteries)
Authors:J. A. Konrath
Info:Hyperion (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 312 pages
Tags:ebooks

Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (2004)

This is the first book in the Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mystery series. The story was very exciting. The dead on the way but were killed in a very bestial way. In between I suffered with Jack, since she herself became the target of the killer and her watch was not exactly excellent. It was funny how she met her ex-colleague again, who on the one hand put obstacles in her path but on the other hand was also there when things got hot. I also smiled when the FBI profiler agents came into play. They were portrayed as if they were idiots.
Various women were killed and long lacked the common background. Jack and her current colleague fight on all fronts to find out the commonality of the victims, so they can take the killer. It is very dangerous for Jack. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 19, 2019 |
Book 1 of Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels series
I kind of went all-in on Konrath before really reading anything beyond his short stories. While I currently have fourteen of his novels already purchased and on my To Be Read list, this is really the first one I read. Yes, technically I did read AFRAID but he wrote that as Jack Kilborn, his not-so-secret pen name. Kilborn is supposed to author the scarier novels while Konrath writes everything else. Or at least that's how I understand it. Anyway, WHISKEY SOUR is a great start to what is obviously a fun yet at-times gruesome series.

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is a Chicago police detective with a limited personal life and a serious bout of insomnia. She's dedicated to her job and not just because she has been assigned a major case on "The Gingerbread Man" killer. And while her partner, the F.B.I., and others are trying to help, Jack won't be able to rest until the case is solved.

After reading this book, I understand why Konrath and Jeff Strand are so often compared and grouped together. Humor is used extensively through the book to lighten some of the graphic and intense scenes. I've seen multiple reviews talking about how funny the book is; while I enjoyed the humor, it wasn't THAT funny. Which is also fine. I really enjoyed the mystery and suspense and graphic nature of the book. To be honest, the death scenes will stick with me longer than the bad but funny puns. I did find myself wishing that Konrath hadn't made the F.B.I. so inept. They are there to add some humor but not too much more. Hopefully the same agents will be present in future books but will be accurate in their profile. Or at least helpful instead of window dressing. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Jack Daniels series. ( )
  dagon12 | Jan 30, 2019 |
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Whiskey Sour
4 Stars

Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels (yes, yes that’s her name), is a seasoned Chicago detective investigating a series of horrific murders of young women committed by a killer calling himself the Gingerbread Man. Once Jack takes over the case, the killer becomes obsessed with her and things become a lot more personal.

***Beware: short rant ahead***
The only strike against this book is the derisive and dismissive attitude toward the FBI. Whether the author likes it or not (and he obviously doesn’t), the FBI is not a group of bumbling nincompoops, but a highly efficient and effective law enforcement agency. Moreover, profiling, while not an exact science, is also not the punchline to a ridiculous joke, but a useful tool in narrowing down suspects, motives and modus operandi.

With that out of the way …

Other than the aforementioned annoying portrayal of the FBI, this is a solid police procedural/serial killer story with an original and compelling heroine.

Jack's intelligence and take-no-prisoners approach is reminiscent of other female detectives driven to seek justice such as Jane Rizzoli, D. D Warren and Kate Burkholder. Despite her harsh profession and egregious personal life, Jack is not cold or bitter and she truly seems to care for the victims.

Most of the secondary characters, aside from Jack, are stereotypical and one dimensional. Whether it be the overweight, food obsessed partner or the smarmy ex-boyfriend and his skeevy new girlfriend or the psychopathic and misogynistic killer determined to exterminate the female of the species one woman at a time. Nevertheless, each contributes to the overall tension and excitement of the story and the Gingerbread Man is a particularly chilling and diabolical villain.

The writing is sharp with gritty descriptions of the murders that may disturb some readers and the parts presented from the killer’s POV are spine tingling and blood curdling (forgive the melodramatics here).

The dual narration by Susie Breck and husband Dick Hill is excellent. They capture all the small nuances of the characters’ personality traits.

All in all, a promising beginning to the series and I look forward to continuing. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Whiskey Sour was a top-notch police story that I give a
high recommendation for. It is well written and is easy reading. The
biggest fault I can find with this book is that once you start it, you
can't put it down. It is a story about a Chicago police detective and a
serial killer. Jack ( short for Jacqueline) is a tough hardheaded
detective that you cant help but like. This book fits well in the
hardboiled tradition. It is a fun read and I am ready to read another
Jack Daniels thriller, but who is going to play her in the movies?
  DaveWilde | Sep 22, 2017 |

J. A. Konrathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WHISKEY SOUR
1 1/2 oz. whiskey
1 1/2 oz. sour mix
Shake well with ice and pour into an old-fashioned glass.
This book is for M.
I love you today, and every day.
There were four black and whites already at the 7-Eleven when I arrived.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078689072X, Mass Market Paperback)

Lieutenant Jacqueline 'Jack' Daniels is having a bad week. Her live-in boyfriend has left her for his personal trainer, chronic insomnia has caused her to max out her credit cards with late-night home shopping purchases, and a frightening killer who calls himself 'The Gingerbread Man' is dumping mutilated bodies in her district. Between avoiding the FBI and its moronic profiling computer, joining a dating service, mixing it up with street thugs, and parrying the advances of an uncouth PI, Jack and her binge-eating partner, Herb, must catch the maniac before he kills again....and Jack is next on his murder list. Whiskey Sour is full of laugh-out-loud humor and edge-of-your-seat suspense, and it introduces a fun, fully drawn heroine in the grand tradition of Kinsey Millhone, Stephanie Plum, and Kay Scarpetta.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

Struggling with a broken relationship, credit card bills, the FBI's inaccurate profiling computer, and a band of street thugs, Lieutenant Jacqueline Daniels works on a serial murder case alongside her binge-eating partner, Herb. Lieutenant Jacqueline is having a bad week. Her live-in boyfriend has left her for his personal trainer, chronic insomnia has caused her to max out her credit cards with late-night home shopping purchases and a frightening killer who calls himself "The Gingerbread Man" is dumping mutilated bodies in her district. Whiskey Sour is full of laugh-out-loud humour and edge-of-your-seat suspense and it also introduces a fun, fully drawn heroine in the grand tradition of Kinsey Millhone, Stephanie Plum and Kay Scarpetta.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible