Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt

Mr. Splitfoot (edition 2016)

by Samantha Hunt (Author)

Member:emily_morine
Title:Mr. Splitfoot
Authors:Samantha Hunt (Author)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2016), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Tags:toberead, xx, american

Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt

Wow, this one is a doozie of a storyline. Things are a little crazy. I'm not quite sure what the point of the story is, but it's definitely entertaining. It switches back and forth between the past and present. The past is about one girl and the present is about her niece. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Unusual and unpredictable. A mystery wrapped around disparate and strange threads ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |
This gothic mystery tells two interwoven stories. The first is about the young Ruth and Nat, foster children growing up in a group home under a strange Christian cult leader. They begin to claim that they can talk with the dead, and with the help of a con man named Mr. Bell, they escape and begin traveling and hosting seances.

The second story is about a directionless young woman named Cora who becomes pregnant by her cruel boyfriend, who is married to another woman. Her aunt Ruth, now unable to speak, arrives and takes Cora on a long journey across the state of New York. There's a lot of mystery and creepiness in this book, although the real horror is the cruelty of humankind. {SPOILER} The biggest surprise of this book is that it manages a happy ending. {/SPOILER}
Favorite Passages:
“Forget God. Or don’t call it that. I’m talking about mystery, unsolvable mystery. Maybe it’s as simple as love. I say it is." ( )
  Othemts | Oct 24, 2016 |
Well, not every book (even one by an author you've loved before) can click. There was certainly no clicking going on with this book. I found myself reading several other books after starting this ... never a good sign. ( )
  jphamilton | Jul 18, 2016 |
*** 3 out 5 Stars
Review by: Mark Palm
Twisted Ghosts...

I was a teenager when I first “discovered” South American Magic Realism. Now Magic Realism has been with us for a long, long time, from Laurence Sterne to Franz Kafka, but the South Americans were trending, and I read Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Julio Cortazar, etc, but The Green House by Mario Vargas Llosa was the one that warped my mind the most. It was so trippy that I had to resort to a notebook to keep it all straight, and even then most of the time I was reading it I felt like I had a serious fever.

All of which brings me to Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt, which is probably the most hallucinatory book I have read since then. It’s a shame that I read this as an arc, because I can’t quote from it, and Ms. Hunt is a superb line-by-line writer, and her prose absolutely sings. Like The Green House however, I can’t quite grasp exactly what happened.

Ruth grows up in the Love of Christ! foster home run by an abusive religious fanatic who mistreats his charges. After her older sister Eleanor ages out of foster care Ruth teams up with a boy named Nat, who can channel the dead. As teens the two meet Mr. Bell, who is a con artist. Ruth marries him, but they are stalked by Zeke, a dangerous psycho who wants Ruth for himself.

This narrative is entwined with one fourteen years later, with Ruth’s niece, Cora, who is pregnant and unmarried and generally bored with her life. Ruth shows up, and silently convinces Cora to follow her. The two spend the next several months walking around New York state, even as Cora’s pregnancy makes it harder and more dangerous for her. Of course Cora has a Destiny, but by the time it came around I was pretty perplexed. There are cults and religious fanatics and raving lunatics, and I was just waiting for someone that felt like they were from this planet.

Now as I said, Ms. Hunt is a wonderful writer of prose, but the biggest problem I had with this book was the characters. Almost everyone felt like they had dropped in from another plane of existence, and while there is nothing wrong with weirdness, I felt that the weirdness was sometimes forced. It didn’t help that almost no one was sympathetic either. I feel that this was purposeful, and I don’t believe that characters need to be likeable; but the level of inexplicability was a bit to high for me.

The dream-like quality of the storylines was effective, and there was a palpable sense of ghostly menace that provided a great deal of suspense, and there was never a page that was boring or dull, but I felt that a few moments of normalcy may have better served to illustrate the strange and sometimes miraculous elements of this book. One thing is for sure; Ms Hunt doesn't play it safe. While she didn’t quite nail it Mr. Splitfoot is certainly a powerful book, by a writer who seems to be just bursting with talent.

Full reviews available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

Once again there are more dead things than ever before. --Martha Zweig
Far from here, there's a church.

A contemporary gothic from an author in the company of Kelly Link and Aimee Bender, Mr. Splitfoot tracks two women in two times as they march toward a mysterious reckoning.

Ruth and Nat are orphans, packed into a house full of abandoned children run by a religious fanatic. To entertain their siblings, they channel the dead. Decades later, Ruth’s niece, Cora, finds herself accidentally pregnant. After years of absence, Aunt Ruth appears, mute and full of intention. She is on a mysterious mission, leading Cora on an odyssey across the entire state of New York on foot. Where is Ruth taking them? Where has she been? And who — or what — has she hidden in the woods at the end of the road?

In an ingeniously structured dual narrative, two separate timelines move toward the same point of crisis. Their merging will upend and reinvent the whole. A subversive ghost story that is carefully plotted and elegantly constructed, Mr. Splitfoot will set your heart racing and your brain churning. Mysteries abound, criminals roam free, utopian communities show their age, the mundane world intrudes on the supernatural and vice versa.

Making good on the extraordinary acclaim for her previous books, Samantha Hunt continues to be “dazzling” (Vanity Fair) and to deliver fiction that is “daring and delicious” (Chicago Tribune).

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jul 2015 18:42:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible