The Killing Forest (Louise Rick 8) by Sara…

The Killing Forest (Louise Rick 8) (edition 2017)

by Sara Blaedel (Author)

Member:justmelissa
Title:The Killing Forest (Louise Rick 8)
Authors:Sara Blaedel (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2017), 352 pages
Collections:Your library, 2017
Rating:***
Tags:2017/11, detective fiction

The Killing Forest (Louise Rick series) by Sara Blaedel

I read the previous book in this series last year and it was great to return to this series and to finally find out what really happened to Louise boyfriend Klaus 20 years ago when he allegedly killed himself. Louise Rick is an interesting character whose personal life has been affected deeply by Klaus suicide and in this case, with a missing boy must she confront old acquaintances of her and Klaus. In so will both she and those that she love risk danger because there are some secrets are people ready to kill to protect!

It's the case that really makes this book so intriguing because the missing boy is a member of an Asatru cult, people that worship Odin, Thor and the rest of the Nordic Gods. It was quite interesting, especially since I have always had an interest in Nordic mythology and to read about people that have returned to the old ways with blot (sacrificial feast) was fascinating. Well, it would have been even better if they didn't seem to use the cult to do bad things.

I enjoyed this book, just as much as I enjoyed the previous book. I do want to read the previous six book so that I can get to know Louise more and to learn more about her and Camilla and the rest of the characters in the book. And, I want to read the next book in the series now that she has finally put the past to rest and moved on. What's next for her and family? ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
An interesting mystery that involves the Asatro religion, a revival of worship of the pre-Christian gods of the region. However, in this isolated village, the local group has taken an nasty turn, becoming a cult from which it is impossible to escape. The initiation of a fifteen year old turns ugly and he flees into the woods. Weeks later detective Louise Rick is assigned the case. It turns out that Hvalso is the village where she grew up and where her fiance committed suicide days after their engagement. Inevitably his death is connected to the boy's disappearance and other mysteries in the area. ( )
  ritaer | May 31, 2017 |
This is the second book I have read by this author and the second Louise Rick novel as well. Yet, this time I was really into the whole story and experience. I don't remember much of the prior novel or the past ordeal that Louise endured; however, it was ok even though it was part of the focal point in this book. Because I felt that Louise did get her closure due to the fact that most of the gaps were brought together in this book, so even if you have not read the prior novel, you will not be lost reading this book and can figure out what happened before.

The legends and rituals of the Nordic ways of praying to the Gods were intriguing. As I stated I was more engaged reading this book thus all of this intrigued me very much. Getting to know Louise more as a person and not just a detective was great. Where she came from and the people helped give me more insight into the type of person she is present. I do look forward to reading more books by this author. The Killing Forest is an engaging story that you won't want to miss! ( )
  Cherylk | Oct 16, 2016 |
This is my second book by Sara Blaedel. Again, I feel that the translation could be just a little better. I do like the character of Louise Rick but some of the dialogue is very clunky. Louise is just back to work after being out with an injury. Her first case is to find a missing fifteen year old boy from the town where she grew up. He disappears after a Nordic initiation rite that goes badly. Going back to her hometown reminds her of the suicide of her fiancé years earlier. Are the two related? That would be a definite yes. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Apr 4, 2016 |
The Killing Forest is the latest (8th) book in Sara Blaedel's Louise Rick series.

Rick is an investigator with the Special Search Agency, a unit of the National Police Department in Denmark.

The Killing Forest opens with fifteen year old Sune preparing for his 'coming of age' ceremony, to be held in the forest by an ancient sacrificial oak tree. Sune's family practices an ancient religion, drawing direction and inspiration from the ancient Norse Gods.....with their own interpretations. Sune is horrified as the ritual progresses and runs into the forest to escape his father and the group. Louise Rick is called in a week later - the boy is still missing. This case brings the past into the present for Louise - her boyfriend was killed in this same town years ago.

Ancient beliefs, an old crone who knows the secrets of the past, an insular group determined to thwart any attempt to undermine them with any means necessary and a young boy on the run, combine to make a great plot.

The setting is different, both the town and forest are ominous and full of secrets, the plot is inventive, drawing on unfamiliar territory that had me quite curious and the main character is one I really like for her tenacity and drive. I enjoy a continuing storyline and am pleased with the direction Louise's personal life in present day is taking. I'm even warming up to her best friend, Camilla, who has annoyed me in the past. The tie in to the past with this case offers up answers to unanswered question from previous books. The danger builds slowly and even though the reader is aware of 'whodunit', my interest never flagged.

The Killing Forest is another great entry is a series I will continue to follow. Mark Kline has done a great job with the translation - the reading is smooth, without any 'wooden', clunky text. ( )
  Twink | Mar 22, 2016 |

"Sara Blaedel, author of the #1 international bestseller The Forgotten Girls--which was roundly praised as "gripping" with "uncompromising realism" (Washington Post) and "tautly suspenseful" (BookPage)--returns with the thrilling next book in her series featuring police investigator Louise Rick. THE KILLING FORESTFollowing an extended leave, Louise Rick returns to work at the Special Search Agency, an elite unit of the National Police Department. She's assigned a case involving a fifteen-year-old who vanished a week earlier. When Louise realizes that the missing teenager is the son of a butcher from Hvalsoe, she seizes the opportunity to combine the search for the teen with her personal investigation of her boyfriend's long-ago death. Louise's investigation takes her on a journey back through time. She reconnects with figures from her past, including Kim, the principal investigator at the Holbaek Police Department, her former in-laws, fanatic ancient religion believers, and her longtime close friend, journalist Camilla Lind. As she moves through the small town's cramped network of deadly connections, Louise unearths toxic truths left unspoken and dangerous secrets. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,810,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible