Irreparable Deeds by Sloane Kady

Irreparable Deeds

by Sloane Kady

103880,191 (4)None

Irreparable Deeds is Sloane Kady's first novel but you would never guess it by the quality of her writing. Kady's opening chapters grip the reader while also getting buy-in on the protagonist, Laura. That investment in Laura is tested throughout the book as you find yourself reading "just one more chapter before I go to sleep." Forget it, you're staying awake until you finish, then you'll stay awake longer to think about it.

The character development is very good, especially Laura, though there were times I would have liked to have had a better understanding of a couple others. Where some reviewers saw irresponsibility on Laura's part for returning "home," I saw it as her trying to make a responsible decision. If you have substance abuse issues, you're pregnant and also have another child and you want to both get clean and keep the baby, there are not a lot of options for a poor person with no marketable skills. Even with reservations about doing so, her other option was the street.

I would absolutely recommend this to fans of psychological thriller as well as horror. Also suspense fans will like it because Mabry slowly cranks up the heat and the suspense builds at a steady pace, just enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. For people who like to find newer writers, this is one to definitely catch.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Jun 27, 2016 |
4.5 stars

I may be a little late to the party, but I have to join in the praise heaped upon Sloane Kady's Irreparable Deeds. It is indeed a fine story of psychological suspense, presented with far more assurance than I would normally expect from a debut author. Kady's character development is psychologically astute, and her plot has more than enough twists to please even the most demanding thriller reader.

I was not previously familiar with Kady or Blackweald Press; what attracted me to Irreparable Deeds was that it is set in Rome, Georgia. I drive through Rome on a regular basis, and one of my daughters attended college there, so I was interested in its fictional treatment. I had to keep reminding myself that Kady's story is set in 1976, with flashbacks to the 1940s, however; Rome is no longer "a small town" with a persistent smell. Ordinarily, the dissonance I experienced with each reference to Rome would have jerked me out of the story, but in this case, Kady's pacing kept me immersed in the lives of Laura and Danlyn. This is the type of book for which the "page turner" and "couldn't put it down" clichés were invented.

I could not find any other books from this publisher, so it may well be that Blackweald Press is a pseudonym under which Kady self-published. If so, the major publishing houses should take notice; Kady deserves a platform from which she can reach a wider audience.

I received a free copy of Irreparable Deeds through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BrandieC | Sep 8, 2015 |
Laura (an alcoholic, but trying not to be), and her daughter Danlyn return to her old home whilst she sorts her life out. As she didn't exactly have a great upbringing with an alcoholic father, a nasty cruel mother, you have to question why on earth she would choose that option? She discovers the truth about her father and the other members of the household. This is definitely a house, not a home. Sometimes you want to give Laura a shake and sometimes give her a hug. The writing is skilled and the twists keep coming especially the last few lines. It will be interesting to see what the author comes up with next! ( )
  boudicca123 | Aug 28, 2015 |

Empty bottles of liquor litter the floor. Somewhere a little girl is crying. Laura Hallow wakes up covered in sweat, a scream clenched in her throat, half expecting to see her father plummeting to his death, or the glint of malevolence in her mother’s eyes. Years of heavy drinking and a blur of too many nights in strange places have done nothing to dampen the brutal memories of Laura’s past. The only constant has been the fear and disappointment in the eyes of her 11-year-old daughter, Danlyn. Rome, Georgia is the birthplace of Laura’s nightmares, where shadows of the past still stir. She escaped once, only a shell of a young woman, and now, pregnant and in the grips of withdrawal, she and Danlyn must return to a place where horrible possibilities await and deadly secrets hide in plain sight. When Laura accidentally stumbles upon the mysterious details behind her father’s death, she and Danlyn are thrown into a treacherous world where truths will bring their relationship to the edge of disaster and horrifying realizations will leave Laura questioning everything she thought she knew about her family. The skeletons in the closet have come out to play, uninhibited and claws drawn. Laura will soon learn that some truths are worse than death.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:56:59 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible