Manga Classics: Emma by Jane Austen by…

Manga Classics: Emma by Jane Austen

by Crystal Chan

Other authors: Po Tse (Illustrator)

Series: Manga Classics

English (10)  Danish (1)  All languages (11)
I adore Jane Austen and her heroines. Emma, originally irritating yet loveable, turns rather unlikeable and less clever in this version.

The general themes of the original were there, but the characters seemed flat. Instead of allowing the art to further the plot, thought bubbles spoon feed the reader.

Emma seems more suited to manga-fication than many other classics, however I was disappointed in this version.

Younger readers may enjoy this as an easy to understand introduction to Emma.

**eARC netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Undon Entertainment in exchange for a fair and honest review. Thank you!

This is the second Manga Classics I read so far. The art work is well drawn and the symbolism in some of the panels are well thought out. The narrative of Emma doesn’t really grab me and I don’t think I would have read the book at all only it was in Manga. ( )
  Arkrayder | Dec 11, 2017 |
After being delighted by Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice, I was highly anticipating this title, with *fingers-crossed-they'll-do-other-Austen-works-too*. Thankfully, this version of Emma does not disappoint!

The illustrations are well done and very cute. They really flow with the storyline and bring Emma to life. The adaptation also follows the original novel faithfully, making it just as enjoyable as reliving the book by watching one of the film/television versions. If you're a manga fan looking to get your feet wet in Austenland, I highly recommend this one! If you're an Austen fan already, this makes a great gift or addition to your collection. I really, really liked Marvel's Emma, but as I'm biased towards manga/anime, I love this edition!

All-in-all lots of fun! I can't wait to see which classic UDON Entertainment and Morpheus Publishing will release next. I'd like to see more Charles Dicken's, some Thomas Hardy, maybe Frances Hodgson Burnett? Happy 200th anniversary Emma!
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
First of all thanks to Netgalley and Udon Entertainment.
Summary:
Emma Woodhouse is a young carefree woman, who thinks she can play matchmaker to her friends and family. Her latest attempt is her dear friend Harriet Smith. Emma is so driven to find Harriet the perfect match, that unfortunately chooses wrong not once but twice. When jealous strikes Emma in her heart maybe her next match will be for herself.
Characters:
Emma Woodhouse, daughter, friend, amateur matchmaker
Harriet Smith, Emma's dear friend
Mr. Knightley, Emma's brother in-law, and friend
Mr. Elton, thought to be a match for Harriet but instead wanted to be with Emma
Mrs. Weston, Emma's old governess, friend
Miss Bates, Jane's aunt
Frank Churchill, Mr. Weston's son
Jane Fairfax, Miss Bates' niece
Mr. Martin, thinks the world of Harriet Smith
Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's dear Father
Final Thoughts:
Emma and Manga are a perfect match, a beautiful story with now equally beautiful artwork. I love Jane Austen's work and reinventing it Manga style gives it a new voice and hopefully a new audience.
The artwork at the end was my favorite. ( )
  chevyt03171981 | Oct 4, 2016 |
After reading [b:Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice|21433253|Manga Classics Pride & Prejudice|Stacy King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1395616673s/21433253.jpg|40743794] I was happy to see this available as well. [b:Emma|6969|Emma|Jane Austen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1373627931s/6969.jpg|3360164] isn't my favorite Austin (that would be [b:Persuasion|2156|Persuasion|Jane Austen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1385172413s/2156.jpg|2534720]), but it's one I've read several times, as well as watching the film verion with Gwyneth Paltrow more times than I am comfortable admitting.

The art style is identical to the first I read in this series, re: super detailed and cutsey. Which I found suited Emma's self-centered and entitled attitude perfectly.

Emma is not meant to be a likable character. She only realizes her flaws and foibles through the eyes of Knightly, which humanizes her a bit as the story goes on. Though, her character arch is barely a blip.

As with the P&P version, there are a few changes made to make the story a bit more cohesive in manga form, but on the whole it is entirely accurate to the spirit and plot of the original.

Including how damn irritating Frank Churchill is.

So, yes, I would defintely recommend this Manga Classic as well and hope to see many other titles added to this series.

Copy courtesy of UDON Entertainment, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |

Chan, CrystalAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tse, PoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Just in time for the 200th Anniversary, Manga Classics: Emma brings Jane Austen's classic tale of youthful folly and romantic exuberance to a modern audience with this beautiful, new manga adaptation. The impulsive match-making of Emma Woodhouse delivers both humor and heartache through the gorgeous artwork of manga-ka Po Tse (Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice). For ages 12 and up. B&W. 308pp.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible