Manga Classics: Emma by Jane Austen by…

Manga Classics: Emma by Jane Austen

by Crystal Chan

Other authors: Po Tse (Illustrator)

Series: Manga Classics

English (7)  Danish (1)  All (8)
First of all thanks to Netgalley and Udon Entertainment.
Summary:
Emma Woodhouse is a young carefree woman, who thinks she can play matchmaker to her friends and family. Her latest attempt is her dear friend Harriet Smith. Emma is so driven to find Harriet the perfect match, that unfortunately chooses wrong not once but twice. When jealous strikes Emma in her heart maybe her next match will be for herself.
Characters:
Emma Woodhouse, daughter, friend, amateur matchmaker
Harriet Smith, Emma's dear friend
Mr. Knightley, Emma's brother in-law, and friend
Mr. Elton, thought to be a match for Harriet but instead wanted to be with Emma
Mrs. Weston, Emma's old governess, friend
Miss Bates, Jane's aunt
Frank Churchill, Mr. Weston's son
Jane Fairfax, Miss Bates' niece
Mr. Martin, thinks the world of Harriet Smith
Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's dear Father
Final Thoughts:
Emma and Manga are a perfect match, a beautiful story with now equally beautiful artwork. I love Jane Austen's work and reinventing it Manga style gives it a new voice and hopefully a new audience.
The artwork at the end was my favorite. ( )
  chevyt03171981 | Oct 4, 2016 |
After reading [b:Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice|21433253|Manga Classics Pride & Prejudice|Stacy King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1395616673s/21433253.jpg|40743794] I was happy to see this available as well. [b:Emma|6969|Emma|Jane Austen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1373627931s/6969.jpg|3360164] isn't my favorite Austin (that would be [b:Persuasion|2156|Persuasion|Jane Austen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1385172413s/2156.jpg|2534720]), but it's one I've read several times, as well as watching the film verion with Gwyneth Paltrow more times than I am comfortable admitting.

The art style is identical to the first I read in this series, re: super detailed and cutsey. Which I found suited Emma's self-centered and entitled attitude perfectly.

Emma is not meant to be a likable character. She only realizes her flaws and foibles through the eyes of Knightly, which humanizes her a bit as the story goes on. Though, her character arch is barely a blip.

As with the P&P version, there are a few changes made to make the story a bit more cohesive in manga form, but on the whole it is entirely accurate to the spirit and plot of the original.

Including how damn irritating Frank Churchill is.

So, yes, I would defintely recommend this Manga Classic as well and hope to see many other titles added to this series.

Copy courtesy of UDON Entertainment, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I was delighted to see there was a new Manga Classic on Netgalley, after I read several others already (Les Miserables, The Scarlet Letter and Pride & Prejudice). I'd never read the original Emma so I didn't know what the story was going to be about and I can't judge if the manga represents the story well.

Overall, it was a very fast and light read that did remind me of Pride & Prejudice. It's not completely my cup of tea, but since it's such an easy read this didn't bother me. I liked it just as I liked the other Manga Classics, and like with the others, I wanted to read the original work afterwards. I know I've said it before, but these books are a great way to introduce people to classics they may otherwise have not read.

Although the style and story worked together well during the biggest part of the book, there were some instances where there was an info dump in a few pages that were basically just an exposition text.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Manga version of the Jane Austen classic

I have been critical of these Manga versions of the classics in the past but this one is a massive improvement on some of the previous ones. Although it still lacks the wit of the original, it reproduces faithfully the plot and is a worthy introduction to the story: Emma considers herself an adroit matchmaker but is not as good as she thinks that she is: she interferes in the lives of her friends and acquaintances often without success. She eventually finds true love for herself a lot closer to home than she expected.

As usual, it is beautifully illustrated (in the digital edition that I have, it is all in black and white).
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
Absolutely loved this. A quick read, I liked the take on it. I mean, come on, classics in manga? Yes, please! The pictures were gorgeous. Amazing. Five stars. ( )
  Beammey | Nov 27, 2015 |

Chan, CrystalAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tse, PoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,902,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible