Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong by…

Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong (2015)

by Kelley Armstrong

Review copy

Kelley Armstrong is a New York Times bestselling author. Her first novel Bitten was turned into a TV series which just completed its second season on the SYFY channel.

In Led Astray, you’ll discover stories with new characters from within and outside Armstrong’s popular novels. Here you will find two original tales from Cainsville, plus journeys to and beyond the worlds of Darkest Powers, Age of Legends, Otherworld, and more.

To be perfectly honest, prior to getting a copy of Led Astray through NetGalley, I had never read more than a couple of Kelley's stories, which may have appeared in an anthology or two along the way. Thanks to this collection, I am definitely a fan and am looking forward to reading much more of her work.

Here we have twenty-one short stories and two that are more novella length stories. Most are tales that have appeared elsewhere, but two are completely new to this collection, including the novella, "Devil May Care", which closes out the book.

In nearly every collection I've ever read, there are one or two stories that are just not as good as the others. That is simply not the case for Led Astray. Every piece was well-imagined and richly entertaining. Every last one.

With so many stories in the collection, I'd rather not list them all. How about I give you a peek at three of my favorites.

"A Haunted House of Her Own" - Tanya and Nathan are looking to purchase a B & B. hopefully one that comes with ghost stories attached. Be careful what you wish for. Look for more than one twist in this wonderful little ghost story.

"Last Stand" - Kelley's take on Zombies with one of the best explanations ever for the walking dead.

"V Plates - A totally fun story of what happens when a young werewolf visits a brothel in an attempt to lose his virginity.

I was actually disappointed when I got to the last of the 434 pages in this book. Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong is available now in both paperback and e-book formats from Tachyon Publications.

Strongly recommended. ( )
  FrankErrington | Sep 16, 2015 |
This is a collection of short stories by Kelley Armstrong, drawing upon her various worlds as well as several stand alones.

There are a lot of stories that draw from Kelley Armstrong’s various world series – and some of these I haven’t read. For me this was particularly a problem for the short stories based on the Cainsville series since I hadn’t read them. In some ways I think the order of the stories was off, if Devil May Care had come first rather than last, the world would have been much more explained and developed and, with that, I would have had more investment and understanding when reading The Screams of Dragons, Gabriel’s Gargoyles and The Hunt. But, if I had read Devil May Care first, I don’t think the same sense of mystery and alienness would have pervaded these books.

Thematically and in terms of tone all of these are very good at invoke the other, the very otherworldy feel of the fae but all with a strong sense of subtlety. They are unseen and mysterious and it’s all a lot of look-out-the-corner-of-your-eye-or-you’ll miss it etherealness that really real worked. They were creepy, they were low key, they were subtle and they were about normal or seemingly normal people caught up in this mysterious place with its mysterious people who are just ever-so-slightly off. I think that wouldn’t have carried the same weight if I’d read Devil May Care first even though I enjoyed it more, since that book is very up front and clear about what Cainsville is and why. It would have destroyed the mystery and the eeriness. I do think I am missing out a lot by not recognising any of these characters and not appreciating any new angles it my bring

I also haven’t reads the Darkes Powers/Darkness Rising universe and I’m now both eager to read them and quite frustrated by having read this first. Kat and Branded both seem to take familiar themes from The Otherworld universe but the world building goes in a very different direction – with the same supernatural creatures I know so well eventually leading to a complex and rich dystopia. In Kat we see the beginnings of this and Branded takes the extreme several years, perhaps centuries, afterwards. I’m a little frustrated in fact because I think I’d love to read this series but now I know where it’s heading I think I will miss much of the suspense of the characters facing the pending dystopia. I loved both stories not just for the world setting but also for the characters with Kat we saw strong female friendships, family and dedication and Branded showed a level of cunning and ruthlessness from a female protagonist that was absolutely applause worthy. It’s a terrible, dark, lethal world – and she does what she must to survive and thrive in excellent, terrifying fashion.

The main reason I was interested in this book was for those stories set in the Otherworld universe – I’ve read them all, I love this series and miss it now it was over, so it was nice to hark back to it. Though I have to say, in some ways, they clashed badly with the other stories in this book. The other stories have desperate, abused children, alien, cruel and downright creepy fae, several brutal dystopias and some downright disturbing standalones. Then we have the Otherworld stories which are a bit silly and great fun. I like them, but they’re theme bombs and derail the overall feel of the book

Learning Curve and The List are told from Zoe’s point of view. I’ve always liked Zoe, firstly for being an Asian lesbian vampire in a series that needed more POC and LGBT people, but also because she had so much fun. She’s ideal for short stories because so many of the other Otherworld characters are involved in such epicness all the time while she never has been. This is her life and the enjoyment she gets out of it – whether it’s having an amazingly fun time educating a terrible Britanny the inept vampire slayer or tackling some vampire-wannabes, she has a good time and I love her stories.

Another excellent one from the Otherworld Series was Bamboozled going back to werewolves of the old west with an excellent female protagonist. It was a great display of portraying prejudice, the misogyny of the time and the contempt against her as an actress while at the same time challenging it marvellously. It also works well at challenging the single-special-woman syndrome that has plagued some of the Otherworld Series (yes, cryptic for spoilers).

I was as big a lover of the zombie, brothel werewolf story with Nick and the young wolves in VPlates. Partly because it reminds me how frustrated I am that this series ended and I’ll never get to see this rebuilt pack. Seeing Nick who has both grown a lot but is still not-all-that wise (hence taking new werewolves to a brothel to lose their virginity) but is trying. The whole story could have been terrible, but in it way it nicely shredded the ineptitude of the extremely male-dominated, uber-masculine, sex-driven, testosterone world of the werewolves and, even without zombies, how it was all a little silly and wrong headed, which was definitely needed.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Aug 17, 2015 |
This anthology contains 23 stories set in a variety of the worlds Kelley Armstrong has created in her novels and in other fantasy worlds. My favorites where the Cainsville stories especially Devil May Care about how Patrick came to be Gabriel's father and Gabriel's Gargoyles which tells a story from Gabriel's childhood that helps explain the man he becomes.

Screams of Dragons may be waking me up at night for quite a while as I try to decide whether the main character was already broken or if he was broken by the systematic abuse he suffers at the hands of his grandmother. Many of the stories contain more than a touch of horror with ghosts, zombies, and murderers. Many of the stories had unexpected twists to them.

All of the stories were entertaining and enjoyable. It is nice to be able to have these stories that were originally published in a variety of newspapers, magazines and anthologies in one collection. The Door and Devil May Care were original to this collection.

Fans of short stories and fans of Kelley Armstrong's work will enjoy being able to have this collection on their shelves. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 17, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161696202X, Paperback)

Welcome to the many worlds of #1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong (Otherworld, Cainsville). As her SyFy channel series, Bitten, enters its second season, Armstrong continues to breathe new life into city-dwelling vampires, werewolves, and zombies. Now travel even further with her, to a post-apocalyptic fortress, a superstitious village, a supernatural brothel, and even feudal Japan.

In Led Astray, you’ll discover the stories of new characters from within and outside Armstrong’s popular novels. Here you will find two original tales from Cainsville, plus journeys to and beyond the worlds of Darkest Powers, Age of Legends, Otherworld, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 09 Jul 2015 08:23:51 -0400)

Welcome to the many worlds of #1 "New York Times" bestselling author Kelley Armstrong (Otherworld, Cainsville). As her "SyFy" channel series, "Bitten," enters its second season, Armstrong continues to breathe new life into city-dwelling vampires, werewolves, and zombies. Now travel even further with her, to a post-apocalyptic fortress, a superstitious village, a supernatural brothel, and even feudal Japan. In "Led Astray," you ll discover the stories of new characters from within and outside Armstrong s popular novels. Here you will find two original tales from Cainsville, plus journeys to and beyond the worlds of Darkest Powers, Age of Legends, Otherworld, and more. Bold and humorous, passionate and heart-stopping, here is Kelley Armstrong at her versatile best."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible