The Trouble in Me by Jack Gantos

The Trouble in Me

by Jack Gantos

This is kind of a fictionalized account of something that actually happened to the author. It's a lead in to how he ended up in trouble in his book The Hole in Me. I couldn't really get into it and this might be my own fault b/c I was really reading it more to figure out if I had it cataloged correctly (which I'm still not sure about). ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This is the story of the author, Jack Gantos, during his 14th summer. His family had just moved to a new town in south Florida where Jack didn't have any friends. He makes friends with a highly creative juvenile delinquent that lives next door and decides he wants to be just like him. You can totally see why this was so appealing and at the same time you want to scream at him "Don't do it!". It was very well written and I think it will provoke a lot of conversations. ( )
  imtanner2 | Jul 14, 2015 |

This fiery autobiographical novel captures a pivotal week or two in the life of fourteen-year-old Jack Gantos, as the author reveals the moment he began to slide off track as a kid who in just a few years would find himself locked up in a federal penitentiary for the crimes portrayed in the memoir Hole in My Life. Set in the Fort Lauderdale neighborhood of his family's latest rental home, The Trouble in Me opens with an explosive encounter in which Jack first meets his awesomely rebellious older neighbor, Gary Pagoda, just back from juvie for car theft. Instantly mesmerized, Jack decides he will do whatever it takes to be like Gary. As a follower, Jack is eager to leave his old self behind, and desperate for whatever crazy, hilarious, frightening thing might happen next. But he may not be as ready as he thinks when the trouble in him comes blazing to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:22:06 -0400)

"Fourteen-year-old Jack falls under the spell of a delinquent Florida neighbor and gets way more trouble than he bargained for"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible