The Smell of Other People's Houses by…

The Smell of Other People's Houses (2016)

by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock

English (23)  German (1)  All languages (24)
I was not really sure what I was in for when I started The Smell of Other People’s Houses. I have heard that it was a one of those books that will be your favorite without you even knowing it. I definitely get that thinking.

This story follows four different teens: Ruth, Dora, Alyce, and Hank. When this started it was almost like four separate stories. However; the stories all come together in the end. I did like some of the characters more than others. Some of the stories dragged on and I was ready for them to move on.

Overall, this was pretty good. It did not blow me away as I was expecting it too. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Nov 2, 2018 |
I remember that I enjoyed this as I read it, but I've forgotten everything about it, even though it's been only two months. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Oct 20, 2018 |
It's like reading a boring (although well written) diary of a young girl growing up in Alaska. It gives an idea of what growing up in Alaska could/would be like, I've never read a historical fiction set in Alaska before.

Someone who really wants a contemporary novel based in Alaska may really like this, especially since the author writes in a way that is easy to read.

However, and this is more based on my preferences of books, I found this boring and uneventful.

Marked it as DNF as I started to rapidly skim the further I read due to lack of interest. ( )
  damred | May 15, 2018 |
Holy insta love, my eyebrow got a good workout throughout this book. Luckily it wasn't the main focal point of the story.

This book covers the lives of four teenagers living in Alaska in the 1970s after it became a state. Ruth lost her father in a tragic plane accident that left her mother mentally insane and put her and her sister in the care of her strict Catholic grandmother. That doesn't stop her from experimenting teenage rebellion and getting pregnant with the child of a popular boy at school. Dora is a Native with an absentee mother and an abusive father. Her father ends up in jail for a time while her mother goes off with her friends and spends all their money on alcohol. The only good thing that came out of it was that she got to live with a nicer family that took her in when no one else would. Alyce loves ballet but she loves her father more which is why she forfeits any chance at getting good roles and skips the dance conditioning every summer for the chance to help her father during fishing season. But this year is different and she has never figured out a way to tell her dad that she would much rather be dancing than cleaning the fish they catch. Ever since Hank's father disappeared he's decided to be the man of the house to protect his brothers. When things escalate with his step-father the three boys decide to move in hopes of finding a better home.

I liked the connection between all the stories. They all wanted to find a place they could call home and feel that sense of comfort. Though there were many points of views the story didn't drag and not one story was better than the other. It's both a good and bad thing because in the end I didn't feel especially drawn to one character. But it was a nice story with a pretty ending. ( )
  Jessika.C | Apr 1, 2018 |
Fairbanks, Alaska is a pretty small town, all things considered, and everyone knows a lot of every one else's business. This story is told from the point of view of four different teens, living four different lives, and how they all come together in one place. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jan 8, 2018 |

In Alaska, 1970, being a teenager here isn’t like being a teenager anywhere else. This deeply moving and authentic debut is for fans of Rainbow Rowell, Louise Erdrich, Sherman Alexie, and Benjamin Alire Saenz. Intertwining stories of love, tragedy, wild luck, and salvation on the edge of America’s Last Frontier introduce a writer of rare talent.

Ruth has a secret that she can’t hide forever. Dora wonders if she can ever truly escape where she comes from, even when good luck strikes. Alyce is trying to reconcile her desire to dance, with the life she’s always known on her family’s fishing boat. Hank and his brothers decide it’s safer to run away than to stay home—until one of them ends up in terrible danger.

Four very different lives are about to become entangled. This unforgettable book is about people who try to save each other—and how sometimes, when they least expect it, they succeed.

Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock was born and raised in Alaska. She worked many years fishing commercially with her family and as a reporter for Alaska Public Radio stations around the state. She was also the host and producer of “Independent Native News,” a daily newscast produced in Fairbanks, focusing on Alaska Natives, American Indians, and Canada’s First Nations. Her writing is inspired by her family’s four generations in Alaska.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 19 Aug 2015 21:37:39 -0400)

"Growing up in Alaska in the 1970s isn't like growing up anywhere else: Don't think life is going to be easy. Know your place. And never talk about yourself. Four vivid voices tell intertwining stories of hardship, tragedy, wild luck, and salvation"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,584,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible