The Smell of Other People's Houses by…

The Smell of Other People's Houses (2016)

by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock

2332049,595 (4.02)5

English (19)  German (1)  All (20)
Fairbanks, Alaska is a pretty small town, all things considered, and everyone knows a lot of every one else's business. This story is told from the point of view of four different teens, living four different lives, and how they all come together in one place. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jan 8, 2018 |
Morris Award Finalist 2017

In Alaska, 1970, being a teenager here isn’t like being a teenager anywhere else. Ruth has a secret that she can’t hide forever. Dora wonders if she can ever truly escape where she comes from, even when good luck strikes. Alyce is trying to reconcile her desire to dance, with the life she’s always known on her family’s fishing boat. Hank and his brothers decide it’s safer to run away than to stay home—until one of them ends up in terrible danger.

Four very different lives are about to become entangled.
-summary from goodreads.com
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
I thought that the title reflected the book. That you just caught a wisp of each character, a single smell that you couldn't really place in context. And that when you reached the end of the book, you could at least begin to name people, you could see what made up one part of their identity. Ditto Alaska.
I definitely loved the text and the imagery. It contains some titbits of magic realism, that feels not so far from the possibilities of chance and our natural world.
I couldn't find a copy of the poem that was referenced, "If you cut me open". I liked the idea of a stone skipping, making ripples/waves of jealousy underneath someone's skin. ( )
  kk1 | Sep 16, 2017 |
4.5 stars but I'll bump it up to 5. I picked up this book because the title was intriguing. It ended up being quite lovely! I'm glad I found it. ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
I received this one prior to it's release and sadly just got to it yesterday! It could have been the title holding me back or the massive TBR pile, but I finally read it and did so in just one day. It was an awesome short read that had powerful words, inspiring metaphors, and a storyline that made me open my eyes, heart, and mind.

Each character played an intricate role in the overall picture. It was intriguing to follow their lives and put the pieces together to see how they were all connected. I felt for each character in a different way... Whether it was the fact they didn't have a strong family structure or that they were left to deal with life on their own at an age you need someone most... Each story pulled me in and captured my heart.

It's a book filled with emotion, broken hearts, tragedy, hope, and new beginnings. It is rich in Alaskan feels and vivid in overall atmosphere. The Author did an excellent job making me feel like I was in the story. I could feel the bitter cold on my face and the wind rip through my hair as they floated on top of the water. I felt romance bloom, friendships thrive, and families mend. It was truly a unique story that kept me glued to the pages.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book and the change of pace it provided. The title was a tad odd to me, but in the end I understood the meaning behind it and could relate in more ways than one. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |

In Alaska, 1970, being a teenager here isn’t like being a teenager anywhere else. This deeply moving and authentic debut is for fans of Rainbow Rowell, Louise Erdrich, Sherman Alexie, and Benjamin Alire Saenz. Intertwining stories of love, tragedy, wild luck, and salvation on the edge of America’s Last Frontier introduce a writer of rare talent.

Four very different lives are about to become entangled. This unforgettable book is about people who try to save each other—and how sometimes, when they least expect it, they succeed.

Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock was born and raised in Alaska. She worked many years fishing commercially with her family and as a reporter for Alaska Public Radio stations around the state. She was also the host and producer of “Independent Native News,” a daily newscast produced in Fairbanks, focusing on Alaska Natives, American Indians, and Canada’s First Nations. Her writing is inspired by her family’s four generations in Alaska.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 19 Aug 2015 21:37:39 -0400)

"Growing up in Alaska in the 1970s isn't like growing up anywhere else: Don't think life is going to be easy. Know your place. And never talk about yourself. Four vivid voices tell intertwining stories of hardship, tragedy, wild luck, and salvation"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,630,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible