Lola Levine Is Not Mean! by Monica Brown

Lola Levine Is Not Mean!

by Monica Brown

This book is about a girl who loves sports as well as really wants a pet, but she is having friendship struggles at school. BY working hard and showing she is responsible she gets permission to get a cat. Over time she begins to make friends and values her best friend named Josh.
  JenB21 | Mar 2, 2018 |
In this first book in a series, young readers will be inspired by Lola's big heart and creative spirit as she learns to navigate the second grade in true Lola style!
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | Sep 20, 2017 |
I enjoy MG books when I need some light reading, but this one just lacked the creativity I come to expect from the genre. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jun 12, 2017 |
Summary: Second-grader Lola has a wonderful family, a great teacher, and the best friend ever, Josh, and they all help her feel better after she is teased and forbidden to play team sports at recess for having accidentally hurt classmate Juan during a soccer game.

Personal reaction: This is a great book that details the modern dynamic of bullying and the proper means of how to navigate associated stereotypes with bullying. I feel that the author provides exceptional life-lessons to young readers who may feel as if they are singled-out in their classroom.

Classroom extensions: I would prefer to have my classroom engage in healthy competitive "sports" where each child has a chance to have the upper hand in an activity. Doing so would provide a structured lesson on understanding that because someone is "better" at something, doesn't make them mean. ( )
  Ali.Simon | Dec 12, 2016 |
Lola, who has very passionate views (her favorite expression is “in my opinion”), loves soccer and has a fish named Mia Hamm. She tells us:

I like the word “shalom” because it means three things: “Hello,” “good-bye” and “peace.” My dad taught it to me. My dad is Jewish. My mom is Catholic. A boy at school said I was a half-and-half once. I disliked that very much. Mom and Dad tell me that I’m whole just the way I am, and I agree.

When her hyper-competitive nature leads to her accidentally hurting another kid during a soccer game, the other kids start calling her Mean Lola Levine. Luckily, she makes amends, and we learn about two cultures along the way.
  TBE | Nov 3, 2016 |

Lola loves writing in her diario and playing soccer with her team, the Orange Smoothies. But when a soccer game during recess gets "too competitive," Lola accidentally hurts her classmate Juan Gomez. Now everyone is calling her Mean Lola Levine!

Lola feels horrible, but with the help of her family and her super best friend, Josh Blot, she learns how to navigate the second grade in true Lola fashion--with humor and the power of words.

In this first book in a series, Lola's big heart and creative spirit will ring true to young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 03 Aug 2015 03:27:46 -0400)

When Lola, a biracial second grader, accidentally injures a classmate during a tense game of soccer, Lola turns to her friends and family to help her rise above her new nickname: Mean Lola Levine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible