Blindsighted [Abridged] by Karin Slaughter

Blindsighted [Abridged]

by Karin Slaughter

When I sent a shout out to the three people who follow my blogs (and I thank my Dad, wife, and my Parole Officer for being those three) for some decent fiction I had been given two ‘winners’. One was a train wreck as I didnt realise that Richard Laymon was a comic writer when I thought I was meant to be reading horror, and the second is this author.

Normally I can finish a novel in a week, shorter as I have no career prospects at present, but this book took a lot longer than I anticipated. And I had high hopes for it, being referred by a good friend with an extensive library, and with a name like Slaughter, well surely she couldn’t be in breach of the Fair Trading Act (to those in Europe, the Trades Descriptions Act).

Two girls were killed in this book, one blind, another a uni student. Both of these happened in the first half of the book yet I found it a very dull read as page after page seemed to be used to paint a picture and story of the characters, their meaning in life, and creating a ‘will they, won’t they’ scenario. While I wondered if I ever would finish it, a chapter or two after the second killing the book took a great turn into the thriller genre and was some of the best reading I have had of late; if only the whole book had the same suspense! I could not put it down and was even left sated and looking forward to reading the next book given to me by Gael (thanks sweet!).

I believe this novel is her first and it is a very credible one at that which despite its meandering start is well written and descriptive. But when she wants to turn it on, so to speak, I haven’t been as sucked in to that extent since Martina Cole who would be one of the best crime/thriller female writers I have come across.

Well worth it, and a woman who is not afraid to inject some sex and violence into the story without making either the focal point. Also it was refreshing to read a book that purposely didn’t try to have you believe you had it solved and then throwing a curve ball at the end…at no time could I pick the perp until it was almost blatantly provided right at the end. And even the climatic good vs. evil battle at the end didn’t take on a Hollywood type extravaganza – nice touch. ( )
  scuzzy | Aug 29, 2011 |
Not a bad book although the killer is easily identified early on. After the explanations about how difficult it is to get anything viable from deadly nightshade (to make the belladonna all the women are poisoned with) I knew it had to be the pharmacist. It was strengthened when Lena was taken and the scene showed her saying “Oh hi” or something to her killer. Then the eventual attack of Sara and the rescue by Jeffery was pretty clear in the making – no surprise when they rescued Lena either.

The characters were pretty good. Lena is the twin of Sybil but that aspect isn’t dwelled on much. Also, her relationship to other cops isn’t dwelled on much either. There are a few lines about the ‘old boy network’ still present in the detectives she works with and there is some latent racism there in addition to the sexism, but that’s about it. Most of the characterizations of people come from the all-knowing point of view rather than from the other characters in the story. One thing I did notice was a lack of consistency in the way people spoke. It should have been caught by the editor but wasn’t.
  Bookmarque | Jun 12, 2009 |

Karin Slaughterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ivey, JudithReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an abridged version of

PLEASE DO NOT re-combine this audiobook version of Blindsighted [it is an ABRIDGED edition]
with the novel, ebook, or unabridged audiobook versions of Blindsighted.

The following ISBN's are for the ABRIDGED editions. The abridged versions were read by actress Judith Ivey.
They should remain in this combined listing.
ISBN: 0694523410
ISBN: 0060791071
ISBN: 0060814187
ISBN: 1856867757
ISBN: 1846571162

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060791071, Audio CD)

In Blindsighted (book one of an anticipated three featuring Grant County, Georgia, pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton), first-time novelist Karin Slaughter comes out swinging in true medical examiner fashion. That is to say, covered with blood from the get-go.

Without warning, the body jerked violently, pitching forward and slamming Sara onto the floor. Blood spread out around both of them, and Sara instinctively clawed to get out from under the convulsing woman. With her feet and hands she groped for some kind of purchase on the slick bathroom floor. Finally, Sara managed to slide out from underneath her. She turned Sibyl over, cradling her head, trying to help her through the convulsions. Suddenly, the jerking stopped.

Sibyl is, or was, Sibyl Adams, a college professor who had the misfortune of being drugged, savagely raped, slashed, and left for dead in the toilet of the local diner, to be coincidentally discovered by Sara Linton. Coincidences don't stop there, and neither do the rapes and murders. The next is, unimaginably, still more gruesome than the first and it, too, is discovered by Dr. Linton. Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver is Sara's ex-husband, and mercurial detective Lena Adams, another major player in the ensuing drama, was Sibyl's twin sister.

And the monster behind these increasingly more depraved acts? Suspects abound, from the diner's jack-of-all-trades, Will Harris, to Victim No. 2's boyfriend, to Jack Allen Wright who, a dozen years prior, raped Dr. Linton (that rape had been a secret until now). There are other possibilities, naturally, and it soon becomes apparent that Sara's an intended target.

A graduate of the Patricia Cornwell school of mayhem and gore, Slaughter has faithfully stitched together a fast, engaging, and diverting read complete with a strong-yet-vulnerable heroine. Characters are nicely if somewhat obviously drawn, the plot is inventive, and the narrative's pacing quickens the pulse straight to the cliff-hanging denouement. And really, what more can you ask of an ME thriller? --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:47:50 -0400)

Heartsdale, Georgia is jolted when Sara Linton, the town's pediatrician and coroner, finds college professor Sibyl Adams dead in the local diner. Once Sara starts to perform the postmortem the full extent of the killer's brutality becomes clear. Sara's ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, is in charge of the investigation. When a second victim is found crucified, Tolliver realizes that they're dealing with a sadistic rapist turned killer. Lena Adams, the county's sole female detective, wants to see justice done for her sister. A secret from Sara's past could hold the key to finding the killer, unless he finds her first.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible