Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on…

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and…

by Marie Kondo

English (24)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (29)
Remember last year, when everyone you know – and everyone they know – was reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up? I was one of those people. My husband and I really pared down out belongings at a serendipitous time; not a month later we received notice that we had to move, so it was much easier to pack our two-bedroom apartment up with 11 days’ notice after having taken over two carloads of belongings to Goodwill.

We continue to tidy following this method, for the most part, but we’ve moved into a new house, which came with many more places for stuff to accumulate. When I saw this sort-of-sequel was being released, I figured I’d want to read it. And I *think* I’m glad I did. But I’m not sure.

My hesitation is that I’m not entirely sure this book is necessary. It does have some good tips, and some cute illustrations (the little bunny in the pictures is adorable). But I think that a lot of this could have been worked into the original book. I totally get it; she struck gold, and her publishers likely wanted to capitalize on that. They got me, and as we go for another round of making sure we’re really sticking with only keeping things that ‘spark joy,’ this will probably come in handy. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
This book is meant to be read after her first book, and it tries to go into detail on how to “tidy up” by “sparking joy.” I’m not sure it entirely succeeds, but it had a few bits of advice that I liked.

I'm still not entirely sure how to fold clothes so that they will stand upright. Perhaps my clothes just aren't made if a material that can do it.

She thinks all your belongings could go in the storage that was built into the house; even bookcases should go inside closets. I'm not sure I agree.

Store things by "word association" with things that go together stored next to or near each other.

Organize your kitchen so that it will be easy to clean/clear up after cooking, not so that things are close at hand when you need them while cooking.

Favorite quotes:

"The important thing in tidying is not deciding what to discard but rather what you want to keep in your life."

"Tidying is the act of confronting yourself; cleaning is the act of confronting nature"

"There are three facets to the spirit that dwells in material things: the spirit of the materials from which the things are made, the spirit of the person who made them, and the pitot of the person who uses them."
  JillianJ | Jul 5, 2017 |
A lot of duplication with previous book -- if you don't subscribe to her method of folding clothing, then half of this book is wasted. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
The book is divided into two parts, of three chapters each: Part I encompasses "Master Tips," which is a "how-to" guide on the more subtle points of the KonMari method. Part II is the "Encyclopedia," which covers the more practical aspects of organizing and tidying up following the KonMari method.

The book is not too different from most organizing books I've read, including those written by Peter Walsh. The thing that separates this book from the average organizing book is the added spiritual dimension that KonMari gives her method, which is based on the practice of the Japanese animistic religion of Shinto. In the Shinto spiritual belief system, all things, including what we in the West would consider "inanimate" objects, are considered to be imbued with spirits. Kondo encourages her readers to respect these spirits by thanking and saying good-bye to any items they may be discarding or donating.

This may seem strange to the Western mind, and to practitioners of monotheistic religions, but Kondo's explanation makes sense. I would suggest that if you don't feel comfortable thanking and saying good-bye to your things, then maybe thanking the deity of your belief system for allowing you to have enough wealth to provide such things might be preferable. Then thank the deity for allowing you to have more things to replace or use in place of the objects you are discarding. We in the developed world tend to forget how lucky we are to have enough and even more than enough than we need, so being grateful for our things would not be out of order.

One of the things that I liked about this book, more so than her previous book, was her humbleness and her willingness to admit when she was wrong and made a mistake and that she would work to rectify it. I think that is one of the qualities that has won Marie Kondo fans around the world.

As a book on organizing, I found it inspiring, though not inspiring enough to plunge into KonMari-ing my apartment. I'm going to think long and hard about that, since I have a roommate and shared spaces to consider. That said, Marie Kondo lays out her method in detail in this book, and many of the questions and contradictions that were raised in her last book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up," are answered and clarified.

Whether or not you decide to undertake the KonMari process and apply it to your work or living space, I would recommend discussing your plans ahead of time with anyone with whom you share your space, so they know what's going on, if it affects them. It seems to me that's the polite thing to do. However, don't let their reaction stop you from undertaking the process, as far as it relates to your own things and space. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
....Once you’re living joyously with all your possessions joyously stored away joyously, you are free to move on to the most advanced joyous level of joyous tidying. See that lump sitting in the armchair watching the football when you want to watch Making a Murderer? Ask yourself this: which gives me more joy? The lump or the empty chair? So ditch him.
added by eclecticdodo | editThe Guardian, John Crace (Jan 17, 2016)

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
After discarding a hammer because the handle was worn out, I used my frying pan to pound in any nails.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,973,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible