Spark Joy: An Illustrated Guide to the…

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Guide to the Japanese Art of Tidying (edition 2016)

by Marie Kondō

"Tidying expert Marie Kondo's follow-up to her best-selling book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, is an illustrated master manual on her renowned KonMari Method with item-specific guidance and step-by-step folding illustrations"--Provided by publisher.
Member:konallis
Title:Spark Joy: An Illustrated Guide to the Japanese Art of Tidying
Authors:Marie Kondō
Info:London : Vermilion, 2016.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:decluttering, read 2016

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondo

Recently added bynikkimidkiff, private library, Piroska, p1l3ofst1x, AlexaKatelyn, wistfulcheesewolf, FLOREADA
    The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo (Carole888)
    Carole888: It is the companion read to the Kondo's other and both go together well. An interesting and refreshing read!

English (37)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (40)
Marie Kondo is heart-wrenchingly adorable. ( )
  hatingongodot | Aug 12, 2019 |
what can I say? i love animism and I love object curation. ( )
  urnmo | Jul 29, 2019 |
I've heard a lot about this book and Marie Kondo's first book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I decided to see what the hype is about since I need to declutter and organize some drawers, closets, etc.

I enjoyed this book. I think that the author has a great sense of humor because she can't possibly be serious about some of the things she recommends. She is so passionate about being organized and having nothing in her house that doesn't spark joy. She calls herself a "tidying freak" and seems to get a "high" in helping people tidy up. She also makes lots of money doing it! Among some of her other suggestions, I like her step-by-step, clothes-folding techniques, they will help save some much-needed space.

I was so poor growing up that nothing was discarded if there was any possibility it could be used again in some way I now feel less guilty about discarding things I'm not sure about keeping. Ms. Kondo has many ideas on how to part with things more easily, some I won't be using, but some I might. This book helps me feel better (and maybe sparks some joy) about having a tidier home/life. Thanks, Marie! ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Mar 27, 2019 |
No matter how messy your house may be, tidying deals with physical objects. No matter how much stuff you may own, the amount is always finite. If you can identify the things that bring you joy and decide where to keep them, the job of tidying must inevitably come to an end. The more you do it, the closer you get to a house full of joy. Therefore, nothing could be more wasteful than to give up in the middle.

Marie Kondo is right about it being a waste to stop without finishing the whole process. Having finished Spark Joy, I am determined to start again and get through papers, komono and sentimental. ( )
  isabelx | Mar 20, 2019 |
After the wild success of her first book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Marie Kondo (AKA KonMari) is back with a second, more in-depth look at the KonMari method. While The Life Changing Magic gave the basic ideas, Spark Joy gives the details. How to fold clothes according to her method, how to proceed through the categories, etc.

There is something addictive about decluttering, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there have to be studies out there somewhere that prove the relief one gets from having a clean, tidy area to live and work in. If nothing else, simply because you don't have to stress about where something is when you need it now. So in that sense, Kondo certainly convinces me.

That said, one should read this with the idea that you are not going to do everything in these books. Maybe there are a few die-hards out there who committed, but the average person is going to be content to keep rolling their socks and not thanking their jacket every day for keeping them warm.

Additionally, I have to question some of her ideas. While it is simple enough - don't hold on to things that don't make you happy - there are some parts where she seems to go off-track a bit. One of the biggest, for me, is her feeling toward books. Now don't get me wrong: I know fully well that I am only a few pages away from turning into a full-blown book hoarder. But her approach takes minimalist to the extreme. She explains, "The most common reason people can't bring themselves to discard a book is because they might want to read it again. But if a book doesn't spark joy for you now, it's almost guaranteed that you'll never read it again some other day. We read books because we seek the experience of reading. Once read, a book has already been 'experienced' " (125).

Well, no.

The majority of people do tend to read a book once and then never pick it up again. I can't imagine this. I have several series that I read every year. I have one series that I read as a preteen that I picked up again two years ago and reread just for the pleasure of it. I have other books that I bought, put on my shelf, and passed by every day and thought, "I should read that," but decided I wasn't in the mood for [insert genre here]. But years later, I finally decided to give it a try, picked it up, and loved it. If I had gotten rid of it because it didn't "spark joy" immediately, then I would probably never have run across it again, and so never known the pleasure a good book can bring someone.

The other thing I balked at was her treatment of kitchens. She went to a restaurant kitchen and, after watching the chefs cook, realized that restaurant kitchens were designed for ease of cleaning, not ease of cooking. This was a revelation to her, and she includes it in her book. Her idea is to have the countertops completely clean by putting everything in cupboards.

Now, there are three salient points here:

1. She herself acknowledges - before she has the epiphany - that restaurant kitchens and home kitchens are not the same thing. This point is apparently lost, however, and she sticks to the "ease of cleaning" idea.

2. Completely clean countertops do look uncluttered and nice, I will admit, but it's also a pain. Can you imagine pulling your coffee pot out, plugging it in, making coffee, washing it, then putting it away every single morning?

3. By putting everything in the cupboards - even if that is workable, which I assure you, as the inhabitant of a very small apartment with a very small kitchen with very small cupboard space, is not a guarantee - you needlessly set yourself up for an avalanche anytime you have to pull something out.

She notes, "To get a frying pan, you have to slide it out from under a pile of other pots and pans, but when I ask my clients if this bothers them, they almost always respond, 'Actually, no. Doing this hasn't struck me as a bother even once' " (170).

Who are these magical people?

My cupboards, because they were clearly designed by someone either criminally diabolical or appallingly idiotic, are very deep and very narrow. This leads to the scenario where I have to choose what to put in the back of the cupboard (hopefully things I won't use very often), and what goes at the front. Because there's not much space, one cupboard has frying pans at the back and oatmeal and such in the front. Any time I want to use a pan, I have to slide the oatmeal and sundry over, pull the frying pan out halfway, twist it sideways to clear the shelving, and pull it out all the way.

This has, in fact, struck me as a bother more than once.

In any case, my advice would be to pick up Marie Kondo's first book and read that first. If you feel pretty confident in it, then you won't get anything new out of this one. The first one was wonderful, but this one is just a rehash with illustrations. If you really want detailed diagrams on how to fold every single piece of clothing in your wardrobe, help yourself.

I'll just go make myself a cup of coffee and fry up an egg.

Popsugar 2016: A self-improvement book ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |
....Once you’re living joyously with all your possessions joyously stored away joyously, you are free to move on to the most advanced joyous level of joyous tidying. See that lump sitting in the armchair watching the football when you want to watch Making a Murderer? Ask yourself this: which gives me more joy? The lump or the empty chair? So ditch him.
added by eclecticdodo | editThe Guardian, John Crace (Jan 17, 2016)

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Inoue, MasakoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
After discarding a hammer because the handle was worn out, I used my frying pan to pound in any nails.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible