The Island Escape by Kerry Fisher

The Island Escape

by Kerry Fisher

183561,019 (4)None

I read this book online, using the Amazon reader. I almost passed this one by simply because they called it a Romantic Comedy. Yes, there are humorous items in the story, but, for me, the book wasn't what I'd call a comedy. It examines what happens to middle-aged women who find themselves going through divorce and having to rethink and recreate their life afterwards. It also examines how two life-long friends deal with each other's friendship after divorce.

I actually loved this book so much more than I expected to. I thought I was going to be reading a bit of a fluffy romantic novel, with zany characters and adventures, when it was more of a touching, sweet and, at times, sad story of friendship and love. ( )
  hey-mom | May 12, 2017 |
The Island Escape had one of the best openings of any chic-lit type book I've ever read. Having absolutely adored Kerry Fisher's After the Lie, I knew immediately I was in for another winner, but I was still expecting a humorous, light-hearted chic-lit beach-type romance story. Don't get me wrong, there is lots of humor in Kerry Fisher's writing, but the plot was a lot deeper and more serious than I had anticipated. In fact, nearly halfway through the book, I was still wondering when the promised feel-good factor would appear. I found a lot of this story quite heartbreaking and went back and forth between feeling sorry for some of the characters and getting angry with them. Definitely a very engaging and emotional read!
Despite the title, two-thirds of the plot actually take place in Surrey, England.
Told in alternating chapters from Octavia's and Roberta's points of view, we are privy to the disintegration of their marriages. Octavia and Roberta have been best friends since their school days though they could hardly be more different. Their friendship was lovely to follow, as they were always there for each other even if they didn't always agree. In Roberta's words, "Octavia was like family, just nicer".
Roberta fell pregnant whilst at university and did the 'responsible' thing and married reliable, parsimonious Jonathan, the father of the baby. Sixteen years later, she is the busy mother of three kids, runs her own nursery school, has a predictable marriage, and is wondering what happened to the free-spirited girl who was going to travel the world. But she just gets on with her mundane life.
Octavia rebelled against her parents and married the 'love of her life', but her marriage didn't turn out as she had expected. Having completely lost her own identity and self-confidence over the years, Octavia is a shell of the person she once was. I hated her husband Scott with a vengeance.
In case you're wondering, the feel-good was there after all and I couldn't put down the last third of the book and finished it with a great, big smile. Kerry Fisher has a real talent for creating believable characters and putting them through poignant and convincing situations, all delivered in an amusing and charming style. She now has a firm place on my must-read author list. 4.5 stars.
My sincere thanks to Bookouture for my copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Pet12 | May 27, 2016 |
Love, love, love this book. I do enjoy books that alternate between narrators and this one did not disappoint. I didn't absolutely love the two main characters, Roberta and Octavia, who have been friends forever. But nobody is perfect. Their husbands on the other hand were awful, but in completely different ways. The book had me hooked when Roberta is sitting in jail because she smacked her husband in the head with a frying pan, which he pretty much deserved. By the end of the book both Roberta and Octavia got what they were looking for. I loved reading the descriptions of Sardinia and Corsica. ( )
  JenniferLynn | Mar 28, 2016 |

Can one woman’s marriage survive her best friend’s divorce? Veronica Henry meets Erica James in this summer’s must-have read.

Octavia Shelton thought she’d have a different life. One where she travelled the world with an exotic husband and free-spirited children in tow.

Instead she’s married to safe, reliable Jonathan, and her life now consists of packed lunches, school runs and mountains of dirty washing. She’s not unhappy. It’s just that she can barely recognise herself.

So as Octavia watches her best friend’s marriage break up, it gets her thinking. What if life could be different? What if she could escape and rediscover the person she used to be? Escape back to the island she visited years ago? And what if the man she used to love was there waiting for her?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 09:45:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,914,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible