Spellbinder (A Shadow Falls Novella) by C.…

Spellbinder (A Shadow Falls Novella)

by C. C. Hunter

C. C. Hunter is a fantastic author. I am going to miss the Shadow Falls family when the series ends. She has pulled me into a series about witches, vampires, werewolves, and fairies...and I do not like stories like that!

This book is all about Miranda. She finally has a chance to be High Oriestess, if she can live long enough. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Sep 19, 2015 |
Spellbinder by C. C. Hunter is a young adult novel about young witches. Miranda Kane is seventeen and forced to compete in magical competitions by her mother. Her mother offers her an incentive to do well at this latest competition. The winner gets to go to Paris for the next competition. If Miranda comes in first, her mother will pay for her two best friends, Kylie (fae with chameleon shifting abilities) and Della (a vampire) to go to Paris with her.

Miranda has a form of dyslexia which is why her spells go wonky (plus her mind tends to wander). Miranda is going to try hard to win this one. She wants to go to Paris to see Perry. Perry was her boyfriend who went to a special school in Paris. Miranda still cares for Perry and wants to see him. Miranda does well in the first two parts of the competition. The third one goes well until a fire ball goes awry. Turns out it was not Miranda’s fault (Miranda was shocked as well as her friends). Someone is trying to kill of the contestants. Miranda does win the competition and heads to Paris with bodyguards. Miranda and her friends try to figure out who is killing off the contestants before anyone else gets hurt (including themselves). Miranda will also discover a family secret that will change her life.

I give Spellbinder 3 out of 5 stars. It is okay, but not great. It is evidently part of a series called Shadow Falls (did not notice this when I picked the book nor was it mentioned). There is some teenage romance mixed in the book as Miranda has two boys that she is attracted to and can imagine kissing (her mind tends to wander to the subject frequently). I did enjoy the plot twist with the family secret. I wish the book had contained more magic as well as more background information (for those that have not read the other book in the series). I think I would have understood the book better if I had read the previous books in the series.

I received a complimentary copy of Spellbinder from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 30, 2015 |

When magic, romance and family secrets collide, the result is spellbinding! Miranda Kane has always felt like a screw upat least when it comes to her ability to wield magic. Her only sanctuary is Shadow Falls camp, where she's learning to harness her powers as a witch. But thanks to her shapeshifter boyfriend who called it quits and ran off to Paris, both her heart and powers feel broken. When she unexpectedly lands a top spot in a spell casting competition in France, she flies out with her best friends Kylie and Della. But her trip takes her straight into the heart of a dangerous supernatural mysteryand a heated romance. What Miranda doesn't expect is for her investigation to unleash shocking revelations...about herself, her family, and her arch enemy. Now Miranda must step up and show everyone that she's a witch to be reckoned with....before it's too late.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,174,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible