The Warning: A Short Story by Sophie Hannah

The Warning: A Short Story

by Sophie Hannah

143723,089 (3)None

This had SUCH potential, but then it just fizzled at the end. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
The Warning by Sophie Hannah is a 2015 Witness Impulse Publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by the publisher and Edelweiss.

The Warning is a suspenseful novella that might give you a little something to chew on. For a short story, I thought the author did an excellent job of creating a dark and atmospheric situation that had me feeling a little jumpy and uneasy.

One part of me was sure I knew which direction the story would take, while another part of me couldn't decide who to believe or who could be trusted.

A stranger steps in and saves the day for Chloe and her daughter. Now, Chloe wants to show her gratitude by bringing the man a gift. On the surface this seems like human nature at it's best. But, looking up a total stranger could have dire consequences, especially when Chloe is given a strong warning to stay clear of Tom.

Each character is suspect, each could have his or her own agenda, or they could be totally innocent and only trying to be helpful. You will have to decide for yourself, if you can, who you should trust… or not.

A menacing, sinister, thought provoking story that will have you questioning your own paranoia and ability to decipher who to trust in your everyday dealings with friends or strangers.

I thought the book touched on some interesting themes, by drawing the characters in such a way as to represent one extreme or another, suggesting a calm, reasonable approach might be what works best in the long run. I definitely thought about the story for a while after having finished it.

Simply taking the story at face value is allowed, but I picked up on a few finer points hidden in there too. Although the story ended in a surprising way, there were several alternate endings that could have taken it's place.

Over all this is a clever little short story worth an hour or so of your time. 4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Sep 11, 2015 |
Chloe is a single mom, and on the day of her daughter's audition for a musical, she's unknowingly left the sheet music in her car, in a garage that's too far away to retrieve in time for the audition. Tom Rigbey (aka an errant knight) comes to her rescue on his speedy steed (aka his bicycle) and retrieves the sheet music just in the nick of time. When Chloe tracks Tom down and provides him with a "thank you" gift, she receives a strange warning from one of Tom's coworkers. Chloe doesn't pay heed to the warning so her best friend pulls in a police officer to launch a friendly investigation into Tom. Should Chloe listen to these warnings or follow her heart?

The Warning is a very quick read at under 100 pages. Ms. Hannah has provided the reader with a thriller that pulls the reader in from page one. I found most of the action in The Warning to be plausible and realistic, except for the notion of "love at first sight." (Is it possible to be attracted to someone at first sight? Yes! Is it possible to fall in love with someone that you know absolutely nothing about? I don't think so.) Personal prejudices aside, if you're looking for a quick and thrilling read with romantic overtones, then grab a copy of The Warning. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Aug 5, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062428853, Mass Market Paperback)

For fans of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, a gripping short story from the New York Times bestselling author of Woman with a Secret.

Don't say I didn't warn you…

When a kindly stranger does Chloe a good deed, she decides she must repay him. But in tracing him, she meets a sympathetic woman named Nadine, who warns Chloe to stay away from the man at all costs. "Give him nothing, tell him nothing, don't trust him," she says. "Avoid him like the plague."

Chloe knows the sensible thing to do: walk away. But her curiosity gets the best of her. What is the truth about the good Samaritan? How dangerous could he be? And can Chloe find the answers without putting herself and her daughter in harm's way?

A twisting, razor-sharp suspense story that will keep you guessing to the very end, The Warning features an appearance from Simon Waterhouse, next seen in the full-length thriller Woman with a Secret—already hailed as "mesmerizing" (Lisa Gardner) and "unputdownable" (Liane Moriarty).

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 02 Aug 2015 01:22:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible