Spectacle by SJ Pierce

Spectacle

by SJ Pierce

I really enjoyed this book. Interesting characters, good world building, pretty much everything I like in a YA dystopian novel. Definitely recommend. ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Apr 24, 2017 |
A YA Sci-fi dystopia that addresses mixed races with excellent world-building and hints of gladiator-era Rome. The novel includes decent character development although I would have liked it to delve more into the history of the other races. For YA dystopia fans! Great cover art.

LT Member Giveaway ( )
  LibStaff2 | May 9, 2016 |
Not bad, but very much a teen/YA dystopian book. If you like the genre, give this one a try. It did end a bit too fast and my preference is for happy-ever-afters for everyone, but overall, a pretty good, quick read.
  MaireG | Feb 2, 2016 |
The changers, as they are known, crashed on earth and came to live among humans. They were able to camouflage their blue skin to fit in until one day the color began to come back and they were exposed. Humans become concerned and there are meetings scheduled between the changers and human leaders. Mira’s father is a changer and one of the leaders, her mother is human. All goes wrong when the negotiations are set to take place and the changers are blamed for an attempt on the president’s life thus causing a panic and the changers to be gathered up and banished to an island. Six years pass and the changers have been forced to live like savages but there is a way out if one volunteers to fight for their freedom in an arena against another human to the death. A plan is formed and a hope is ignited that this might be the way to clear the changers name of wrong doing and so Mira and her friends volunteer to get the job done. This story had potential but sadly fell short. I felt like I was reading Avatar meets the Hunger Games Gladiator. At the beginning of the story I would have liked to see more in depth of an account of what took place rather than here we are and now its 6 years later and now we’re here and this is why. It did not flow well. There was also a lot of repetition on how Mira felt. It went around and around about her feelings and misgivings when once was enough to get the point across. Mira’s special power you have it or you don’t, I didn’t like this well I had it but now it’s gone. It fits right in with how I felt about the story; it was here now it’s gone. ( )
  vibrantminds | Sep 18, 2015 |
Please note that this review would have been a 3.5 if LibraryThing allowed half-stars.

This wasn't a bad novel by any means. It had a really gripping opening that immediately drew me into the world and was very well written. The novel wasn't exactly what I was expecting from the blurb (I was thinking that it would be more of a humans with mutant powers setting than aliens) but I was still pleasantly surprised by the Changers. I loved the way that Pierce detailed their culture - it made them feel solid and real. I also quickly grew attached to the main cast, all of whom spoke with very different voices, and certainly wanted everything to end happily for them.

So, you may be wondering why the three stars. Well, the story unfortunately wasn't perfect. While the start of the novel was greatly original, it did wander a little too far along the road most traveled. As the blurb suggests, the plot takes a lot from The Hunger Games. While it doesn't go so far as to rip off this novel, it still made the story feel a little derivative and, unfortunately, The Hunger Games did it better. The world of Spectacle just isn't as well fleshed out (particularly the human world) and everything just wraps up far too quickly and neatly for my taste.

In terms of character, the story also had a few issues. Firstly, Mira was fairly inactive for a large portion of the story. She was merely a witness to events and did not really have a lot of involvement. While her actions during the climax were frankly awesome, it would have been nice to see her developing her powers and just doing more over the rest of the story. Her romantic exploits also caused me some distress. Although the novel spent most of its page time seeming to set her up with one boy, this came to naught in the second half of the story. She instead falls instantly in love with a character who only really appears in the final act.

Yeah. Insta-love just isn't my thing at all. I appreciate that some people may find this romantic but I just find it weak.

All in all, it's a decent novel. If you're a lover of the Hunger Games and dying to read something similar I would certainly recommend it. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Sep 17, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

SJ Pierce's book Spectacle was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

SJ Pierce is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible