The Secret Subway by Shana Corey

The Secret Subway

by Shana Corey

Other authors: Red Nose Studio (Illustrator)

History comes alive with this little known story about the first attempt at building a subway in New York. Intriguing artwork compliment this fascinating not to missed piece of history. My 6th grade son read it multiple times he enjoyed it so much and it left our family with one unanswered question. What was the sunken ship buried under the streets of New York and how did it get there?
  wunderlong88 | Oct 19, 2017 |
The story was spectacular, but the thing that really sets this book apart from the others is the art. WOW! I can't tell if they are sculptures that were photographed or illustrations. Either way, the art is incredible!

mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
Beautiful, intriguing artwork compliments this non-fiction picture book about the first subway in New York City... the train that went nowhere. The story and artwork kept my boy and me captivated from the cover through the end notes. Interesting and fact-filled! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
R.L. 3.4 AR 4.3
Lexile 810
  kc32016 | Feb 14, 2017 |
How could I not want to read The Secret Subway by Shana Corey while I'm living in New York City? Truthfully, it wasn't the setting of the story that drew me in. It was the front cover illustration by Red Nose Studio aka Chris Sickels that really caught my eye. His artwork reminds me of old school claymation. His creations are sculpted using materials found around his home and he makes not only books but stop motion animation with them. The Secret Subway is a fictionalized account of the creation of the New York Subway system. The imaginative inventiveness of Eli Beach is factual as is his idea of a subterranean transit system fueled by a pneumatic system. (Picture a giant fan pushing a train car and then reversing its flow to suck the car back the way it had come!) It's the minute details which have been slightly fudged by Corey to liven up the tale (which honestly doesn't really need much embellishment). The back of the book contains the facts of the event which I urge you to read as they are fascinating. It's so amazing seeing what the human imagination can create! This was a visually impressive book but if I'm honest it didn't really WOW me. I'd give it a solid 6/10 but if you're interested in the art (you will be) I urge you to check it out for yourself. ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 13, 2017 |

Shana Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Studio, Red NoseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

From an acclaimed author and a New York Times Best Illustrated artist comes the fascinating, little-known—and true!—story of New York City’s first subway.

New York City in the 1860s was a mess: crowded, disgusting, filled with garbage. You see, way back in 1860, there were no subways, just cobblestone streets. That is, until Alfred Ely Beach had the idea for a fan-powered train that would travel underground. On February 26, 1870, after fifty-eight days of drilling and painting and plastering, Beach unveiled his masterpiece—and throngs of visitors took turns swooshing down the track.

The Secret Subway will wow readers, just as Beach’s underground train wowed riders over a century ago.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 22 Jul 2015 23:10:34 -0400)

"In 1870, Alfred Ely Beach invents New York's first underground train"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,380,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible