A Sapphire Season: A Novel by Lynn Morris

A Sapphire Season: A Novel

by Lynn Morris

142683,257 (4)None

For starters, it was I think pleasant to find a Regency Romance story which does not rely on various plot devices such as espionage, political intrigue, or some kind of threat from criminal activities to crank up the drama. There was no mystery, no fast-paced action- no murders, kidnappings or treasonable plots. For some, that might be a bad thing- but I didn’t really mind it.

I could describe the story as a simple, plain, old fashioned Regency that is more character driven than plot driven, and does as it promised- focusing on the heroine’s attempts to find a husband in one particular season. In some ways, actually, I think some Regencies focus too much on the sensational or dramatic, and so it’s good to find one that just offers a simple story which was still enjoyable.
The downside for me, was that I sometimes found it a little hard to follow. I think perhaps that there were too many characters, and so it was hard to keep up with their interactions to one another and their activities. Sometimes I found myself forgetting who X and Y actually were and how they were related to other characters, which cannot be a good thing.

Also, alongside a few annoying Americanisms that intruded upon an otherwise solid and credible period setting (I’m fairly certain that nineteenth century Englishmen did not describe distances in urban areas in ‘blocks’), I think perhaps I had some issue with the heroine Mirabella. In some ways, she was everything a Regency heroine could be- but in other ways, she came across as very fickle, indecisive and rather priggish.
She seemed to lead men on, with her known intent of finding a husband, court them and seem keen on them- and then totally go off them for sometimes the most trivial of reasons, whilst still holding a flame for the distant hero. I mean, was she really trying to find a husband or not? As it seemed as if nobody but the guy she fancied all along could ever be good enough…..yet it was obvious that they would get together in the end.

Overall this was an enjoyable book, the Christian theme well delivered without being clichéd or too contrived, and the period details I felt added to the story. I would certainly recommend for fans of Regency and Romance.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher via Netgalley in return for review. I was not required to write a positive one and all opinions expressed are my own.

Medievalgirl | Oct 4, 2016 |
Title: A Sapphire Season
Author: Lynn Morris
Pages: 359
Year: 2015
Publisher: Faith Words
Mirabella and Giles have been best friends all their lives. Good or bad Giles has always been by her side to make things better. This year, when they both turn 22, they and two friends have decided to attend the Season in London. Mirabella has decided that she will become betrothed before the Season is over. She and her best female friend Josephine begin making the social rounds at various balls and dinners. Privately, Mirabella has a list of potential men that she will entertain the thought of them perhaps being a good match for her.
As the Season progresses and one man, then another fall off her list, Mirabella begins to notice that Giles is not spending as much time with her as usual. In fact, he has been spending most of his time in the company of one of Mirabella’s friends. Mirabella is down to the last man on her list of potential suitors when she makes a stunning discovery.
If you have a yen to read something face paced, full of action and tension, then this is not the book for you. If, however, you are interested in the life of ladies in the early 1800s, romance, heartache and spiritual awakening, then here is a book for you. The many details regarding clothing and food and setting at first helped me feel a part of the story; however, these same details when used so much slowed the story somewhat. The best part of the book for me was the spiritual life of Mirabella that is transformed from shallow contact with God to a place of total surrender and dependence on God to get her through each and every day. She learns that only God can get her through depression, grief, sadness and to appreciate His many blessings in her life. I am a new reader of this author and I look forward to more of her works.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Aug 18, 2015 |

Sir Giles Knyvet and Lady Mirabella Tirel were childhood playmates and close friends. Giles secretly loves Mirabella but plans to settle an old family debt before sharing his feelings. When Mirabella decides to endure one more London season, find a suitable match and settle down in the country, Giles fears he may have run out of time.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,720,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible