Dead Man's Float by Jim Harrison

Dead Man's Float

by Jim Harrison

I don't know if they had time to make any audio of these, but when I closed my eyes I could hear the voice. Winter Creek, Books, Cattle Nap, Tiny Bird were my favorites.

'Birds are poems I haven't caught yet' ( )
  kcshankd | Feb 8, 2017 |
As it happens I found out JH dies today. It was his last book of poetry. The book was about being old and knowing you will be dying soon.
This saddens me.
I'm sorry there will be no more JH books.
I think I'll go out for a walk. ( )
  JBreedlove | Mar 27, 2016 |

"His poems succeed on the basis of an open heart and a still-ravenous appetite for life."--The Texas Observer"Harrison doesn't write like anyone else, relying entirely on the toughness of his vision and intensity of feeling."--Publishers Weekly"Harrison's essential honesty is deeply affecting."--Library JournalThe title Dead Man's Float is inspired by a technique used by swimmers to conserve energy when exhausted, to rest up for the long swim to shore. In his fourteenth volume of poetry, Jim Harrison presents keen awareness of physical pains, delights in the natural world, and reflects on humanity's tentative place in a universe filled with ninety billion galaxies. By turns mournful and celebratory, these fearless and exuberant poems accomplish what Harrison's poems always do: wake us up to the possibilities of being fully alive. WarblerThis year we have two gorgeous yellow warblers nesting in the honeysuckle bush. The other day I stuck my head in the bush. The nestlings weigh one twentieth of an ounce, about the size of a honeybee. We stared at each other, startled by our existence. In a month or so, when they reach the size of bumblebees they'll fly to Costa Rica without a map. Jim Harrison, one of America's most versatile and celebrated writers, is the author of over thirty books of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction--including Legends of the Fall, the acclaimed trilogy of novellas. With a fondness for open space and anonymous thickets, he divides his time between Montana and southern Arizona"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,439,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible