Soul Mates by John R. Little

Soul Mates

by John R. Little

User called for yet another unlock. Authenticated and unlocked again. ( )
  FrankErrington | Nov 13, 2015 |
Soul Mates
I received this book from the Early Reviewer group for an honest review. I found it to be a quick and easy read, enjoyable but I knew how the story would end even before I finished the book.
This is the story of a magician Jeremiah and his relationship with “twins” Savannah and Alannah. He builds a romantic and working relationship with Alannah and her twin Savannah follows them to Las Vegas. The twins have a murky and troubled past and history. Both are haunted by a mysterious young boy. The story is told from multiple character views and time lines. It is a mystery that delves into anger love and horror.
I prefer a book that the ending surprises me but still found I enjoyed reading and putting the story together in my own mind. ( )
  JudiRobben | Oct 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The relationship between twins is deep and complicated. As twins Allanah and Savannah find out in this suspenseful story, filled with plot twisters and a bit of romance thrown in for good measure, life has many curves. In my opinion the character of Luke should have been more developed and much more a part of the story. The changing dates on the chapters also make for difficult reading, making things a bit confusing. Only my opinion. ( )
  PollyMig | Oct 5, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received Soul Mates from the Early Reviewers Giveaway. It was a quick read. The story is about twin sisters who are identical in looks but very different in personality. Their father murders their mother and at the age of 16, they take off for the west coast to start a new life. There, one of the twins meets her soul mate, an older man who is a magician. The book is organized by chapters from the twins point of view and other chapters from the magician's point of view. The chapters also have dates on them because the story skips around. This can be a little confusing and I had to keep checking the date on the chapter. It also didn't help the flow of the story. Looking back on all the things that happened, there are still some things I wonder why the author bothered to put that in the story, (murder of the dance instructor). It was okay, not horrible, not great, so I gave it two stars. ( )
  treadsowell | Sep 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Soul Mates follows the stories of two twin sisters, Savannah and Alannah, who are identical but have very different personalities. They leave home after their father murders their mother for adultery. The girls have a habit of writing the details of their lives and days in a journal, and both sisters read the other's entries. Intermittently, the story also follows the life of a magician, who we learn has an anger management problem and has struggled to keep it in check during his life. He meets Alannah, who he recruits as his magician's assistant, and they fall in love. The two head off to Las Vegas with the promise of a 10 year gig at Caesar's Palace, and Savannah comes along as well, unable to live apart from Alannah. Inevitably, the magician sees Savannah with another man, while thinking it is Alannah cheating on him, and tragedy strikes. Meanwhile, there is the mystery of the scary boy who haunts Alannah and Savannah, and the mystery unfolds near the end of the book with catastrophic results.

There are several different points of view in this book, and several storylines that are a little out there. However, the book held my attention and I breezed through it. ( )
  NicoleGorr | Sep 14, 2015 |
Prolific fantasy and horror author Little (DarkNet) revels in the dark recesses of the mind and the pull of the forbidden in this tangled novel. Savannah and Alannah are identical twins who move to Seattle to escape their parents’ tragic past. Alannah soon finds love with the magician Jeremiah, who has his own demons to wrestle with. Meanwhile, both sisters are plagued by the hauntings of an unknown boy. Little writes with vivacity and a sharp eye for detail, recalling Hitchcock in his use of twists and turns and the unexpected; his characters are layered and intriguing. The book has a decidedly nonlinear narrative, which heightens suspense, but some of the places where Little weaves the separate strands together feel rushed. Readers will find the sense of immediacy refreshing and enjoy the complex, horrific story. - Publishers Weekly (Aug.)
added by JournalStone | editPublishers Weekly

Identical twins share a connection that even modern science doesn't fully understand; closer than mere blood can bind, deeper than any sibling bond, one cell, one mind, one beginning. Alannah Clark has found the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with, a magician, but magicians have secrets - secrets that might outweigh Alannah's own dark corners. But nothing remains hidden forever. Magic, thrills, romance, suspense, and sorrow are the emotions of John R. Little's newest and darkest thoughts.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John R. Little's book Soul Mates was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,733,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible