Rules for Reforming a Rake by Meara Platt

Rules for Reforming a Rake

by Meara Platt

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ugh, no. I like romance, and Regency romance - but I like some characterization, plot, and logic to the story, too. Why is he keeping this a deep dark secret from his family? He's apparently not worried about anyone else (as he chats about it on the street, with just one glance around to make sure no one's close). Like maybe French spies. But he can't possibly tell anyone in his family that he's not a complete wastrel. Then he meets the girl and falls instantly in lust, as does she (half a chapter on his responses to her, and nearly a full one on hers to him). They don't _like_ each other, what they know of each other they dislike and despise - but ooh he looks good, oh, she's gorgeous, brain goes by the wayside. I started skipping at that point. Apparently she is wooed by, and her family is in favor of, someone who's unrelievedly nasty about everyone around him (OK, he's rich and titled. But with his attitude...). Our Hero and Heroine end up married, in a shotgun-style wedding (I missed that part, but it's thoroughly re-described later), whereupon he goes off to be heroic and she chases after him and insists on a real marriage night (riiiiight. Because that's such a Regency attitude). And of course happy ever after, as he returns and they express their mutual lust. I still don't see any reason other than said lust for them to be together. Possibly the worst example I've yet encountered of two tropes I hate - insta-lust and misunderstandings (complicated here by flat-out lies). Yuck, not for me. The sex (what little I saw) is pretty hot, if that's enough for some people. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found I was conflicted on whether I liked this book or not. Overall it was an engaging story, with likeable and real characters, and a bit of mystery/intrigue to give the story spice. However, I found there to be too much time spent on longings and feelings regarding the other of the pair. As with any romance there will be digressions into longings and feelings but to wade through pages and pages of it gets tedious - to the point that if I had not promised a review I would have abandoned the book. That being said there was the bit of mystery/intrigue with a dash of history that was the frame of the story. Those parts moved right along and gave the characters depth and showed them to be interesting people. The author writes well and has an enjoyable style. ( )
  clp2go | Jan 2, 2018 |
This was entertaining reading. A rake with a deep, dark secret that requires he alienate himself from his family and from society and the deb who sees past his facade.

Things I liked about this book: Daisy was a delightful blend of scatterbrained and smart. I liked her "grit." Gabriel is excellent as a tortured hero, doing the right thing while giving the impression of being dissolute and beyond redemption. Daisy is put-upon by her family without any recognition for what she does well, which gives her a sympathetic response, although it might have been overdone just a skosh. Gabriel is loveable despite being ostracized.

Things I didn't like: Gabriel's best friend telling him what's going to happen to him in the first chapter. "You're going to meet Daisy and she's going to steal your heart." A little over the top for me and completely unnecessary. I could buy into the "history," that the other men were trapped, but it doesn't say much to Gabriel's character that his best friend thinks he's so easily swayed, not to mention it sort of ruins the anticipation. Thus only 4 stars.

Karla.Brandenburg | Dec 12, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Meara Platt's book Rules for Reforming a Rake (The Farthingale Series Book 2) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,360,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible