Memphis Noir (Akashic Noir) by Laureen…

Memphis Noir (Akashic Noir)

by Laureen Cantwell (Editor), Leonard Gill (Editor)

Other authors: Richard J. Alley (Contributor), John Bensko (Contributor), Stephen Clements (Contributor), Arthur Flowers (Contributor), Dwight Fryer (Contributor)11 more, Kaye George (Contributor), Jamey Hatley (Contributor), Cary Holladay (Contributor), Ehi Ike (Contributor), Lee Martin (Contributor), Penny Register-Shaw (Contributor), Suzanne Berube Rorhus (Contributor), Adam Shaw (Contributor), Sheree R. Thomas (Contributor), Troy L. Wiggins (Contributor), David Wesley Williams (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love these collections - they combine two of my favorite things, travel and noir. Memphis is a great city to do because it has such a personality of its own, but can be viewed through so many different lenses. This is a varied and interesting collection.
  sbelasco | Aug 3, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free from Early Reviewers. Ahhh I do love good short stories and this book was chockful of them! All the stories (fictional) were based in Memphis and noted different landmarks from this city. The majority of the stories I liked.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/105321.html ( )
  booklover3258 | May 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book hard to get into. Maybe my memories of Memphis are too romantic as they date mostly to the 50s, before the strife and sadness. I wanted more of the city revealed, instead I got peoples lives that I don't care about. Even the story, Panama Limited, which I thought had potential, but the author didn't quite get the actual symbolism of this train, which I have ridden, but carried a kind of secondary ptina that the author didn't quite uncover. ( )
  vpfluke | Apr 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I grew up in Memphis. This is a book of stories about Memphis, but it's not a Memphis that I recognize. Mostly, at least. There's nothing wrong with that; I led one kind of life there, while _Memphis Noir_ focuses on a completely different type of living.

The stories offered here drip with atmosphere. One definitely feels the effect of place: a dark, warm, languid, sharp city full of secrets. As in most story collections, some entries are more enjoyable than others; a few I barely understood.

Perhaps this collection is typical of the noir genre or of this particular series. I haven't read enough of either to be sure. I requested this review copy primarily because it's about Memphis, a place that I know, or knew. But, as I don't know the Memphis that's portrayed here, I'm not sure that I'm likely to visit it again. ( )
  baroquem | Apr 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been a fan of the Akashic Noir series for some time now. Overall, I would classify Memphis Noir as a "good read," but I felt something lacking from many of the stories. Several stories leaned more towards dark fantasy/surrealism rather than the grittier noir style I've come to expect from the series. Not a bad collection of stories, just not one of my favorites. ( )
  glendalea | Dec 1, 2015 |

Memphis short stories
Elvis reference only
Nice try, noir cigar
(hardboiled)

Akashic Books continues its groundbreaking series of original noir anthologies, launched in 2004 with Brooklyn Noir. Each story is set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the city of the book.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laureen Cantwell's book Memphis Noir was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible