Faking 19 by Alyson Noël

Faking 19 (original 2005; edition 2011)

by Alyson Noël

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Faking 19
Authors:Alyson Noël
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***

Faking 19 by Alyson Noël (2005)

Shallow story about uninteresting people in implausible situations making ridiculous, selfish decisions. This book is for the teen who will actually admit that he/she would like a book along the lines of Sweet Valley High, but with some sex, drugs and rock and roll mixed in. The only redeeming quality was that there was not a saccharine happy ending on the last page. Teens who like Hopkins would enjoy this, but would find it a little tame. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 11, 2014 |
It was an OK read. Nothing wrong with it, but it didnt wow me or stand out so thats why it gets 3 stars just for being... bluh....

Typical book about a high school girl named Alex who is a senior in high school. She's pretty, smart, and her best friend is the most popular girl at school, M. By the looks of it Alex seems to have it all, but....not really. She is flunking all her classes and really doesnt have a shot at graduating. She lost her scholarship and her dad will not pay for college.... She wasnt always like this. 9th and 10th grade year she had straight A's and was that perfect honor student...

Alex and M spend most of there time in LA going to clubs and drinking. they met some older brittish guys who they think are the bomb, conner and trevor. Alex thinks this is her ticket out of her town. Conner owns a record lable and is super rich.

But when everything doesn't go exactly as Alex fantasizes, she realizes that the only person she can count on is herself. Ultimately, Alex discovers that there's more to life than who's wearing the prettiest dress or who snags the hottest guy. ( )
  sareiner | Apr 9, 2014 |
Bleh. Cliche. Too dramatic description of high school. ( )
  popo_chan_xo | Nov 30, 2011 |
I really wanted to like this book. I love Alyson Noel books. They have always seem to capture me with a great adventure and lead me on and on. But this book I can't help but dislike. I was really put off by the characters and their actions.

I am all for a character rebelling. I know that a characters needs to fall in order to grow. But this character Alex was just too much. She did nothing but think of herself, sex, and drinking. I understood that her back round was a troubled one. She didn't have a father who cared about her, her mother worked hard to support them both, so I can see were Alex may have gotten out of hand.

I do like however, how Ms. Noel created a characters based on something real. Cause now and days, and this is so true, teens act this way. When families fall apart, teens do go out and rebel really badly. I am glad that Alex learn things, but she learn them the hard way. She managed to finish school and even got accepted to a writing program. I am proud that at the end Alex realized what she must do.

There was a lot of drinking, sex and cursing. So I recommend this book for 18 yrs and up. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jun 20, 2011 |
Reviewed by Amber Gibson for TeensReadToo.com

Alyson Noël took me for a joyride in FAKING 19 into the oh-so-fabulous, wild party life of two beautiful high school seniors in SoCal. At first glance, Alex may seem like she has it all. She's pretty, smart, and her best friend is the most popular girl at school, M. But the truth is, Alex has some pretty hefty family problems and she's undergoing a major identity crisis. Oh, and on top of all that, she's failing all of her classes and might not graduate from high school, never mind college.

Alex wasn't always this way. Freshman and sophomore years, she was on top of her game, a straight-A honors student. Those were her glory years. Now, she'd much rather hit the L.A. club scene with M every night instead of worrying about something trivial like her grades. It doesn't matter anyway; her dad won't pay for her to go to college, so what's the point?

One day, when Alex and M are out on the town, they meet a couple of cute, older British guys. Connor and Trevor are attractive and charming, and the girls immediately fall for them. Connor owns a record label and is filthy rich. Alex thinks that he just might be her ticket out of her dull life, and then she won't even need that college education her counselor so desperately wants her to achieve.

Even though this book is about gorgeous teenage girls going clubbing in L.A., Alyson Noël still manages to create characters that I can identify with. Underneath the glamorous exterior, Alex is just another girl struggling to get through her high school years. Along the way, she learns an invaluable rule of life: Success is a gift that you give to yourself. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 10, 2009 |
For Sandy, who believes in blue hippos
Okay, so maybe my list isn't the same as yours.

On the surface, 17-year-old Alex has it made; she is beautiful and smart. Plus, she's best friends with M., the absolute most popular girl in school. Feeling bored with their fancy Orange County suburban town, Alex and M. decide to check out L.A.'s glitzy nightlife scene.

Pretending to be 19, Alex and M. meet Trevor and Connor, two rich older guys. At first, Alex can't believe her luck--she gets to hang out at hip Hollywood houseparties and downtown L.A. clubs. These weekend trips into the city become the perfect distraction for Alex, who is secretly struggling with her failing senior year grades, her absentee father, and her clueless mom.

But, after the initial fun wears off for Alex, she is forced to reevaluate her friendship with M., who is hiding some secrets beneath her perfect Burberry-clad exterior...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:55 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Alex seriously messes up during her senior year at an Orange County, California high school, skipping classes and staying out all night at Hollywood night clubs with older guys, in an effort to distract herself from some unpleasant realities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,485,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible