The Year's Best Science Fiction:…

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection (2015)

by Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: Pavel Amnuel (Contributor), Paolo Bacigalupi (Contributor), Jessica Barber (Contributor), Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Lauren Beukes (Contributor)29 more, Chaz Brenchley (Contributor), Karl Bunker (Contributor), Jerome Cigut (Contributor), D. J. Cockburn (Contributor), Aliette de Bodard (Contributor), Cory Doctorow (Contributor), Greg Egan (Contributor), Timons Esaias (Contributor), James Patrick Kelly (Contributor), Ellen Klages (Contributor), Nancy Kress (Contributor), Jay Lake (Contributor), Rich Larson (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), Ian McDonald (Contributor), Mary Anne Mohanraj (Contributor), Susan Palwick (Contributor), Gareth L. Powell (Contributor), Paul Graham Raven (Contributor), Robert Reed (Contributor), Alastair Reynolds (Contributor), Adam Roberts (Contributor), Karl Schroeder (Contributor), Vandana Singh (Contributor), Allen M. Steele (Contributor), Michael Swanwick (Contributor), Rachel Swirsky (Contributor), Lavie Tidhar (Contributor), Peter Watts (Contributor)

Series: Dozois Year's Best Science Fiction (32)

Excellent addition to the series with some memorable stories. Definitely one of the best Annual Collection I've read. ( )
  Guide2 | Mar 16, 2016 |
For the best stories of 2014 Dozois has selected 36 works, primarily short stories, but several longer works and novellas. Dozois has been doing this a long time and his tastes in recent science fiction don't always jive with mine. I have not read a full collection for several years so it was an accomplishment for me to get this one done. As always Dozois finds a lot of stories from everywhere that I would certainly miss in my reading. I read very little new science fiction from 2014 and these stories thus were new to me.

With this many stories there are of course some that I think were weaker or that I really did not connect with. I don't think there is a single "lousy" story in here, but there were a few too many I disliked or found boring. Then there were a couple like Alastair Reynolds' story which was good until it wasn't and clearly he has no respect for Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics." What did impress me was the overall quality of most of the stories in this collection. What was missing for me were the "WOW" stories. Stories that sort of rock my world, or at least my perception of it. There are lots of good thought provoking stories in here, ones that get you looking at modern society and the world a little differently, and that is what generally is so good about science fiction through the years. But I was missing the wow factor.

With so many good to better stories in here I am only going to mention a few of my favorites. I thought Ken Liu's near future novella "The Regular," a noirish story of an unusual detective on the trail of a serial killer was above the average. There are a lot of good details in this crime story. Peter Watts short piece "The Colonel" feels like the opening chapter or two of a novel I would love to read. All sorts of stuff dropped in here that could be takeoff points. Michael Swanwick's "Passage of Earth" about big worms from outer space was strange and disturbing and creepy and although I can't say I "liked it" it will certainly be one that will stay with me. Ellen Klages' short piece was a very touching one about an 11 year old girl on the morning the generation ship leaves earth and she goes out early before dawn to touch and remember all the little things.

I found Mary Anne Mohanraj's "Communion" quite original and touching and interesting. Nancy Kress's novella "Yesterday's Kin" closes out the collection and takes a relatively large chunk of the volume. Kress seems to do well with novella length stories and I liked this one a lot mixing family dynamics, politics, evolutionary genetics and first contact. Good stuff and a good way to end the "Year's Best." This was my favorite story in the book and I wish there had been more stories like this. ( )
  RBeffa | Aug 1, 2015 |
Every year I look forward to July because that is the month that the massive anthology, "The Year’s Best Science Fiction," edited by Gardner Dozois, hits the bookstore shelves; this year is the "Thirty-Second Annual Collection." I used to read a lot more science fiction (in both novel and short story lengths) than I do today, but I always make a point of buying this volume in order to catch up with the very best science fiction in English out there; this is simply the single best volume that you can buy for that purpose. As always with anthologies, the stories that I like are not necessarily the ones that another reader would choose as their favourites, but whether you like a given story in this collection or not, they are all of very high quality. My favourites this year came from Ken Liu, Karl Bunker, Cory Doctorow, Vandana Singh, Michael Swanwick, Ellen Klages, Jay Lake, Rachel Swirsky, Allen M. Steele, James Patrick Kelly and Nancy Kress, but really all the stories are well-written and thoughtful, and together they prove that science fiction in the shorter forms of short story and novella is alive and kicking and doing very, very well. Recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jul 26, 2015 |

Swirsky, RachelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tidhar, LavieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Watts, PeterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belilovsky, AnatolyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Published in the US as The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection and in the UK as the Mammoth Book of Best New SF 28.

For decades now Gardner Dozois has been presenting his annual selection of the very best of recently published SF stories, both byoutstanding up-and-coming writers and undisputed masters of the genre. It has been voted Year's Best Anthology by the readers of Locus magazine an unparalleled eighteen times and remains the definitive anthology for both diehard sci-fi fans and newcomers to the genre. Without fail, Dozois pinpoints the previous year's most exciting and ambitious science fiction, showcasing truly exceptional contemporary writing.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible