dismiss

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection (2015)

by Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: Pavel Amnuel (Contributor), Paolo Bacigalupi (Contributor), Jessica Barber (Contributor), Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Lauren Beukes (Contributor)29 more, Chaz Brenchley (Contributor), Karl Bunker (Contributor), Jerome Cigut (Contributor), D. J. Cockburn (Contributor), Aliette de Bodard (Contributor), Cory Doctorow (Contributor), Greg Egan (Contributor), Timons Esaias (Contributor), James Patrick Kelly (Contributor), Ellen Klages (Contributor), Nancy Kress (Contributor), Jay Lake (Contributor), Rich Larson (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), Ian McDonald (Contributor), Mary Anne Mohanraj (Contributor), Susan Palwick (Contributor), Gareth L. Powell (Contributor), Paul Graham Raven (Contributor), Robert Reed (Contributor), Alastair Reynolds (Contributor), Adam Roberts (Contributor), Karl Schroeder (Contributor), Vandana Singh (Contributor), Allen M. Steele (Contributor), Michael Swanwick (Contributor), Rachel Swirsky (Contributor), Lavie Tidhar (Contributor), Peter Watts (Contributor)

Series: Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction (28), Dozois Year's Best Science Fiction (32)

In the new millennium, what secrets lay beyond the far reaches of the universe? What mysteries belie the truths we once held to be self evident? The world of science fiction has long been a porthole into the realities of tomorrow, blurring the line between life and art. Now, in The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection the very best SF authors explore ideas of a new world. This venerable collection brings together award winning authors and masters of the field such as Robert Reed, Alastair Reynolds, Ken Liu, Elizabeth Bear, Paul Amnuel and Nancy Kress. And with an extensive recommended reading guide and a summation of the year in science fiction, this annual compilation has become the definitive must-read anthology for all science fiction fans and readers interested in breaking into the genre.… (more)

There are some very very excellent stories in this anthology. I greatly enjoyed! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I'm going to do this the only sensible way: Story by story, with a short synopsis for each.

1. "The fifth dragon"--9.8/10. A very interesting futuristic, non-binary love story set in a very interesting world. Truly good.

2. "The rider"--7/10. Nothing terrible special, but a sort of interesting look into a future where AIs fight among themselves

3. "The days of the war, as red as blood, as dark as bile"-- 5/10. This one didn't catch me at all. It has a great title, but nothing beyond that.

4. "The burial of sir john mawe at cassini"--7/10. An interesting look at a victorian mars populated by some very interesting creatures. But unfortunately too much strange, too little backstory.

5. "The regular"--9/10. Cyberpunk detective story with great characters. yes please.

6. "The woman from the ocean"--7.5/10. Not bad at all, and interesting look at good intentions gone awry, but not great.

7. "Shooting the apocalypse"--8.7/10. A great look at a future we may not be too far from, with battles in the american west over water rights.

8. "weather"--5/10. Strange, and not good.

9. "the hand is quicker"--9/10. A look at how the rise of true virtual reality may widen the societal divide between rich and poor even more

10. "The man who sold the moon"--10/10. A true gem, with great characters, interesting tech, a shoutout to the builder culture that's on the rise, as well as burning man...great all around. I cried at the end

11. "Vladimir Chong chooses to die" -- 5/10. nothing really special, and hard to follow

12. "Beside the damned river"-- 6/10. Not bad, just forgettable

13. "The colonel"--7.3/10. Impressively written in a good universe but doesn't seem to have much of a point to it.

14. "Entanglement"--9.5/10. In a world where everybody is pulling together to maintain modern living standards in the face of extreme weather events, this story shows us a couple view points in an engagingly written style.

15. "White curtain"--9/10. Originally written in Russian, and just as depressingly nihilistic as you would expect a story about being able to choose among the multiverse to be. In a good way.

16. "Slipping"--8/10. Enhanced biotics in sports!

17. "Passage of earth"--9/10. psychological horror (with a protagonist who is a pathologist!) looking at some very VERY alien intelligences.

18. "Amicae Aeternum"--6/10. Meh. I see what the author was trying to with the whole "generation-ship leaving everything behind", but it's just not great.

19. "In babelsberg"--8.5/10. Interesting to see a story written from the point of view of an all-too-human AI

20. "Sadness"--6/10. Interesting, but too little backstory"

21. "West to east"--9.2/10. A doomed expedition tries everything possible to survive, and decides to go all-out to get one last message off....

22. "Grand Jete"-- 9.4/10. A great examination of what it means to be "me". If you put a dying girl's consciousness into a machine body, is the new girl the same as the old, or something else entirely?

23. Covenant--8/10. A serial killer who has had all the fight programmed out of him (and become a her)...finds herself on the other end of the stick, as it were.

24. "Jubilee"--6/10. I really tried to like it more, and I could see a full-fledged novel coming out of the setting, but it doesn't work as a short story/novella.

25. "Los piratas del mar de plastico"-- 8/10. Not quite sci-fi, but a good story.

26. "Red lights, and rain"--9/10. Time-traveling agents that explains the origins of vampires. What's not to love?!

27. "coma kings"-- 8/10. Video games can drive people apart, but they can also bring them together, especially when the game is fully interactive...

28. "The prodigal son"--8.5/10. A privately funded starship has some logistical and cultural issues to overcome before it launches

29. "God decay"--8/10. A love story that reveals the price behind being better than everybody else.

30. "Blood wedding"--9.5/10. Opposing factions with very different ideas about technology and stubborn, inflexible, patriarchs come together for a wedding....but not one that goes well.

31. "The long haul, from the annals of transportation, the pacific monthly, may 2009"--9/10. A world where zeppelins stayed aloft and replaced 18-wheelers for transport of goods. Excellent characters and a true joy to read.

32. "Shadow flock"--7/10. drones in crime, and loss of privacy as drones get smaller and smaller....

33. "Thing and sick"--5/10. An attempt at psychology horror and the Fermi paradox, but it flubs its chance.

34. "Communion"--8/10. Cross-species cultural communication crosses sacrosanct lines, but leads to better understanding.

35. "Someday"--7.3/10. courtship in a very alien, but very human, way.

36. "yesterday's kin-- 10/10. Divergent evolution, "aliens" and humanity interacting in the face of a mortal threat to both...

L_Will | May 14, 2018 |
Excellent addition to the series with some memorable stories. Definitely one of the best Annual Collection I've read. ( )
  Guide2 | Mar 16, 2016 |
For the best stories of 2014 Dozois has selected 36 works, primarily short stories, but several longer works and novellas. Dozois has been doing this a long time and his tastes in recent science fiction don't always jive with mine. I have not read a full collection for several years so it was an accomplishment for me to get this one done. As always Dozois finds a lot of stories from everywhere that I would certainly miss in my reading. I read very little new science fiction from 2014 and these stories thus were new to me.

With this many stories there are of course some that I think were weaker or that I really did not connect with. I don't think there is a single "lousy" story in here, but there were a few too many I disliked or found boring. Then there were a couple like Alastair Reynolds' story which was good until it wasn't and clearly he has no respect for Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics." What did impress me was the overall quality of most of the stories in this collection. What was missing for me were the "WOW" stories. Stories that sort of rock my world, or at least my perception of it. There are lots of good thought provoking stories in here, ones that get you looking at modern society and the world a little differently, and that is what generally is so good about science fiction through the years. But I was missing the wow factor.

With so many good to better stories in here I am only going to mention a few of my favorites. I thought Ken Liu's near future novella "The Regular," a noirish story of an unusual detective on the trail of a serial killer was above the average. There are a lot of good details in this crime story. Peter Watts short piece "The Colonel" feels like the opening chapter or two of a novel I would love to read. All sorts of stuff dropped in here that could be takeoff points. Michael Swanwick's "Passage of Earth" about big worms from outer space was strange and disturbing and creepy and although I can't say I "liked it" it will certainly be one that will stay with me. Ellen Klages' short piece was a very touching one about an 11 year old girl on the morning the generation ship leaves earth and she goes out early before dawn to touch and remember all the little things.

I found Mary Anne Mohanraj's "Communion" quite original and touching and interesting. Nancy Kress's novella "Yesterday's Kin" closes out the collection and takes a relatively large chunk of the volume. Kress seems to do well with novella length stories and I liked this one a lot mixing family dynamics, politics, evolutionary genetics and first contact. Good stuff and a good way to end the "Year's Best." This was my favorite story in the book and I wish there had been more stories like this. ( )
  RBeffa | Aug 1, 2015 |
Every year I look forward to July because that is the month that the massive anthology, "The Year’s Best Science Fiction," edited by Gardner Dozois, hits the bookstore shelves; this year is the "Thirty-Second Annual Collection." I used to read a lot more science fiction (in both novel and short story lengths) than I do today, but I always make a point of buying this volume in order to catch up with the very best science fiction in English out there; this is simply the single best volume that you can buy for that purpose. As always with anthologies, the stories that I like are not necessarily the ones that another reader would choose as their favourites, but whether you like a given story in this collection or not, they are all of very high quality. My favourites this year came from Ken Liu, Karl Bunker, Cory Doctorow, Vandana Singh, Michael Swanwick, Ellen Klages, Jay Lake, Rachel Swirsky, Allen M. Steele, James Patrick Kelly and Nancy Kress, but really all the stories are well-written and thoughtful, and together they prove that science fiction in the shorter forms of short story and novella is alive and kicking and doing very, very well. Recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jul 26, 2015 |

Swirsky, RachelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tidhar, LavieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Watts, PeterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belilovsky, AnatolyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Published in the US as The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection and in the UK as the Mammoth Book of Best New SF 28.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,963,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible