Killer Wedding Cake by Gayle Trent

Killer Wedding Cake

by Gayle Trent

511,436,638 (4)None

I’ve read several of The Embroidery Shop Mystery books under this author’s pseudonym of Amanda Lee and really enjoyed them. So I couldn’t pass up a chance to try this series too.

I felt for Daphne. Her wedding to the man of her dreams is only weeks away. She’s an award-winning cake decorator and has lots of orders to fill. On top of that she has a lot of last minute issues to take care of before the big day.

What she doesn’t need is a surprise visit from her ex-husband, Todd. After seven years in prison for shooting at her, he surprises her at her doorstep, professing his undying love and begging for a second chance. He hustles her inside her house and when she sees her chance, she rushes out and over to the neighbors to call the police.

Upon their arrival, Todd is gone and the police do what they can, getting her a temporary restraining order and making sure she gets to a safe place for the night.

Worried he might come back, she’s stunned when the police come to her door, telling her they found Todd dead in his hotel room.

Why did Todd wait months after his release from prison to come to her door? Who wanted him dead? Was she next? Daphne needs answers quick or she just might be the next dead body found.

This was a super fast read for me. The author gave me so many fun characters to love. I’d like to share something about all of them with you, but that would take a lot of words. Young and old. Friend, neighbor, or family. All of them don’t hesitate to jump in and help Daphne with her wedding and the investigation.

There’s more than one murder and I had Todd’s figured out rather easily. What I didn’t see coming was who was behind all of it. The author was sparing with her clues and it came as a surprise.

I wish I could say what hooked me the most, but not being a writer, I’m stumbling here. Everything worked to keep me reading one more page, one more chapter, until I reached the end.

While this is the fifth book in the series, you don’t have to have read the other books to enjoy this one. It reads well as a stand alone.

Make sure you check out the recipes too. Some delicious ones. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 1, 2016 |

Daphne Martin’s wedding to Ben Jacobs is only a couple of weeks away. An award-winning cake decorator, Daphne is busy designing their wedding cake. Her twin nephew and niece, Lucas and Leslie, are excited about being in the wedding party. And Daphne’s brother-in-law Jason is planning a bachelor party for Ben. Everything is going beautifully until Daphne’s ex-husband Todd shows up. Just released from prison after serving a sentence based on his shooting a gun at Daphne, Todd comes to Brea Ridge to profess his undying love for her. Despite Daphne’s attempts to make Todd leave town, he insists on hanging around to reconnect with people he used to know. When he’s found murdered, Daphne finds herself at the center of the investigation. Now she must track down Todd’s killer before she becomes the next victim. Can she still make it to the church on time?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Aug 2015 02:32:41 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,618,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible