The Silent Hours by Cesca Major

The Silent Hours

by Cesca Major

We all know this might end sadly. It's set during the war, true events are at background. Something will happen. But it was never sad, it was more heartbreaking because of the cruelty of Man, and War.

The book has 3 POVS, Adeline, who was rendered mute by the war. Her story is set in 1952 and we do not know what happened to her, but slowly the truth comes out.

Tristan a young boy who lives his life like he always has. There was this one sad thing when he tells his father something, and I knew, when he grows up he will regret saying that.

Sebastian, a young man, who is Jewish, and the Germans are coming. His story is that of a romance.

But they are all connected, we just do not know how yet. And when it all comes together at the end...I can't more.

The title does fit the book, there is this silence over it. We know it will lead up to something. I wonder if everyone will survive, as we do learn to know more people than just these 3 POVS. War is slowly coming closer.

A quiet book, about life, love and the aftermath of war. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |

An epic, sweeping tale set in wartime France and spanning generations, this novel follows three people whose lives are bound together, before the war tears them apart. Adeline, a mute who takes refuge in a convent, haunted by memories of her past; Sebastien, a young Jewish banker whose love for the beautiful Isabelle will change the course of his life dramatically; Tristan, a nine-year-old boy, whose family moves from Paris to settle in a village that is seemingly untouched by war."1952 A woman waits. She does not speak. Her past haunts and she cannot contemplate her future. She is watched over by nuns at a convent in south west France. Mute ever since she turned up at their door in the weeks following the defeat of Germany, her name is Adeline and she has a secret. 1940 Sebastian, a young Jewish businessman living in Limoges, has fallen in love with a local girl. But as the mood in the country darkens it seems their future is threatened. Ten-year-old Tristin and his family leave Paris for the safety of the French countryside. They settle in a quiet village in the unoccupied zone where life appears unaffected by war. Adeline and her family run the small shop on the high street. As the war progresses their stories become entwined. And when a horrifying event rocks their peaceful village nothing will ever be the same..."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible