The Potter's Lady (Refined by Love) by…

The Potter's Lady (Refined by Love)

by Judith Miller

I just got bored. I didn't like or care about any of the main characters (a few of the peripheral characters were interesting but we only saw them occasionally) and I thought the religious aspects felt forced and uncomfortable. DNF at page 216, chapter 19. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
Judith McCoy Miller does a wonderful job at setting the scene and plot. I loved how she kept me interested in the story and want for the main characters to find happiness. She did a wonderful job at creating the setting and emotions.

Rose is full of hope and enthusiasm for her work. She is an Irish immigrant who has received her fair share of torment from others. From her trials she worked harder to prove her abilities. She has a talent for design, a talent she pores into the pottery her brother purchased. She is driven to see it succeed.

She has the help of Ryland, he worked in the pottery before her brother purchased it. He is set in his ways and reluctant to embrace change. Rose brings a whirlwind of change with her, he has to catch her vision and reasoning before he can embraced her ideas. They are a great pair. It takes a while for either of them to see it.

The competition is Joshua. He is not only their competitor in business, he courts Rose for his own purposes. He gives off the appearance of being an upstanding man, trying to help out a friend in business. Unfortunately, his motivation is not apparent.

The book has some great plot twists and turns that were very interesting to read. I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent in this book. It is the second in a series but can be read as a stand alone. I did enjoy catching up on the lives of some of the characters in the first book. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Nov 1, 2015 |
Don’t you just love the picture of Rose McKay on the cover of The Potter’s Lady? and beneath the title of the book we see a glimpse of the area where the story takes place. And what a story it is. Judith Miller takes the bare facts of places and incidents in history and weaves a story like no other around it. From the first page where Rose is still in Philadelphia School of Design for Women right to a satisfying conclusion of the matter, the narrative pulled me into the pages of the book. Excellent vivid imagery brought me into the setting and i felt the anxiety of a failed business as keenly as Rose did. But i also felt the awe at the designs she created, and though Rylan was not in favor of the changes Rose wanted to make to the Pottery, i loved her for her tenacity. There were twists and turns to the story i did not see coming, and one can not predict ahead of time. The story definitely kept me engaged beyond the time spent reading it.
Thank you to Graf-Martin Publicity Group and Bethany House, a division of Revell Publishing Group for the opportunity to read this book. i received the book free through their program Nuts About Books in exchange for an honest review. A positive critique was not required. The opinions are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Sep 25, 2015 |
I love books that take me back to another era. Judith has written a masterful story about a young woman named Rose during the late 1800's. She is excited to have graduated from design school and has chosen to return home to be with her brother Ewan and his family . Rose discovers on their travel that Ewan has decided to buy a business. Once the decision is made to purchase the pottery place, the family is excited and is convinced that Rose will be a great asset to the company. With her design skills they know the will succeed.

But alas, the best laid plan don't always turn out the way we hope. The story is filled with struggles, trying to start up a thriving company and betrayal from people who they thought were trustworthy. Some people get Freddy and try to destroy their business. As it feels like the company is going under an opportunity arises that could save everything. They must stand strong and fight for their right to have a business that prospers. The characters are well developed . Rose will find herself having to work very closely with someone in order for this opportunity to be successful. Will there be a spark of romance between her and the employee she must work beside?

The story flows at a nice pace with life lessons for some. Is money the way to happiness? Will Rose find her true calling? Can God fulfill their needs and help them find contentment ? The author does an amazing job of taking readers back to a simpler life as she breathes the freshness of a time period of long ago through descriptive words. She captures the era with an easy flow of words that paint a picture of a relaxed time and a story that captures the heart of a young woman who believes in herself. I enjoyed the story and I was sad it ended. It was such a heartfelt story thst I felt a peace surround me as the last word was read.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Sep 24, 2015 |
"The Potter's Lady" is the second book in the series Refined by Love by Judith Miller. Before I read the book I did read the first one in this series. Although this second book would stand on its own, it was nice to have the background going into it. With that said, Judith Miller does a great job building the characters and setting. Rose McKay is a strong female character who knows what she wants. After graduating from design school she travels back home to live with her brother, Ewan, and his family. Ewan has been displaced from his job and is looking to purchase a brickyard with financing from his mother-in-law. Ewan and Rose visit a pottery that is for sale in the same town as the brickyard. Rose convinces her brother and his family to purchase the pottery. But problems begin to pop up from the workers and to lack of contracts. On the other hand, Rose's beau, Joshua Harkness' pottery is doing a great job at landing contracts. Rose fears the pottery may not have been a good choice until a letter arrives from her former headmistress about an art contest. Ewan insists that Rose and Rylan Campbell work together to produce a winning entry. Will they be able to put aside their differences and create a winning entry? Will they figure out why they cannot obtain more contracts to grow the pottery business?
This is a historical fiction set in West Virginia. There is reference to several sites well known for their pottery. I happen to live near a few of these sites and so this novel intrigued me. If you like historical fiction with romance mingled in, then pick up "The Potter's Lady."
I received this book free from Bethany House to review.
  gcclibrary | Aug 17, 2015 |

Engaging History and Romance from Bestselling Author Judith Miller

When Rose McKay convinces her brother, Ewan, to invest in a pottery business, she's determined to assist him in making the venture a success. Having just graduated from the Philadelphia School of Design for Women, she believes she can design pieces that will sell well. In her efforts to help the pottery flourish, Rose reconnects with Joshua Harkness, who oversees his own family's pottery works in a nearby town.

Rylan Campbell has never liked change, but the new owners of the pottery seem to be the decent sort. He just wishes Rose wouldn't insist on cleaning and moving everything. But when McKay Pottery starts losing business to the Harkness company, Rylan realizes Joshua might be taking advantage of Rose.

Then Franklin Hotels announces a design contest. Winning the Franklin contract would be exactly the boost McKay Pottery needs, so Rose and Rylan work closely together to create something magnificent. With Joshua's company as their main competition, can Rylan convince Rose her trust in Joshua may be misplaced?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 09 Jul 2015 17:25:43 -0400)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible