Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia

Son of the Black Sword (2015)

by Larry Correia

After the first few chapters of this book there was one thing that struck me and that was that it was quite a while ago that I read a book from a really skilled writer. Larry Correia is in the top ten, probably top five actually, list of favorite authors for me but it was some time since I read something from him. I got hooked on his Monster Hunter International series and then went on to his Grimnoir Chronicles. Pure fantasy is not my first genre when choosing books so I had this one on my to-read list for quite a while and the only reason it was on there was due to the author.

I finally got around to reading it a while ago and I have to say that it was a real joy to read even though it is not my favorite genre. The world building, the descriptions of the scenery and event, the characters etc. All of it is simply one level, at least, above most of the books out there. At least the ones I have read.

The story is really good. There are some parts that I am not entirely thrilled about but that is more than made up for by the delivery. The action, well it is Larry Correia so of course the action is great. Even though there are no guns in this book, it’s fantasy remember, Larry shows that he is equally good at writing action without weaponry that makes loud noises.

As is pretty obvious from the book blurb the world in which the story plays out is a somewhat dark one. It’s actually even darker and oppressive than what I would have guessed from the book blurb. It is kind of a fantasy version of the dystopian worlds you find in many science fiction novels. There are strong influences from the old Indian cast system. Born into the wrong cast and you are worth less than the dirt you walk on. Even the main protagonist is strongly influenced, one might even say indoctrinated, by this.

Almost everyone, not just the lower castes, are also kept pretty much in ignorance. The “Law”, which is a pretty grim and cruel one, is adhered to almost to the level of worship and knowledge can be a crime.

Yet as the story evolves we get hints that the “worthless” casts did have and might still have an important role to play in the future. The hero’s belief in both his own role and the system itself are, of course, going to be put to test and might even become shattered as events unfold.

The entire system is upheld, and maybe brought down, by quite a lot of intrigue, back stabbing and political machinations. Machinations which strongly influences our hero and the path that he embarks upon. The political machinations is the part of the story that thrills me the least. It is really well made but it is really a personal taste for me that I am not overly thrilled by that kind of story element.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to see where the story leads us now that the first world building and shattering, for the hero at least, events has taken place. As with most good fantasy books there is a myth (or is it a myth?) and a mystery at its core and it is fairly obvious that the hero has a big role to play. Actually there is probably more than one mystery. Like what about the rest of the world outside of the part that are known to but a few?

I have to say though, again personal taste, that the many jumps back and forth in time was also something that I was not too thrilled about and it felt like there were some large chunks of the book without the main protagonist. But then, with world building as good and detailed as this, I guess it is difficult not to do these kind of things. I might have even been less impressed with the book without the information these parts is bringing to the table.

So, even though there were parts I was less thrilled about, there is no way I could give this book anything less than 5 out of 5 stars. It is just that good! I am pretty sure anyone into fantasy would like this book and if you are already a Larry Correia fan you are sure to find it great. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Awh SHIT. This is only book 1 of an unfinished series...?! I swear if Mr. Correia pulls a Patrick Rothfuss... I'll do... something. I'll write a sternly worded email. And I'll make it a good one. OhoHoo it's gonna be a good one.

Yeah. I hate it when a really good book is part of an unfinished series. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
The Protector Order is a band of elite, magically enhanced warriors who enforce The Law. Ashok is the best of them. The bearer of a sentient blade with hundreds of years of battle knowledge, his sole motivation and guiding ethos is The Law. Until the truth of his past in revealed.

I enjoyed this book. The characters where interesting and internally consistent. I like stories that feature someone who is truly Lawful, even when the law is immoral, it is the law. That is Ashok when we first meet him. I enjoy watching as he faces sistaions where he is confronted with the unjustness and immortality of his precious Law and how he struggles and deals with it.

I look forward to the next book in the Saga of the Forgotten Warrior. ( )
  dreamweaver529 | Jan 23, 2018 |
I am a huge fan of Correia's Monster Hunter series and was excited to see a new series by him. I am just going to be blunt here...I did not like this book at all. The book is boring, full of politics, and doesn’t make much progress from the beginning to the end. Additionally it looks like this is the beginning of a series and I couldn't find any information on when another book would be released in this series.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator was the best part of this whole experience for me. Reynolds is amazing and does a wonderful job narrating this lackluster story. I think the only reason I actually finished this book was because I loved the way his voice sounded as he read the story.

The book starts out promising. Our main hero, Ashok, is fighting an awesome battle with two demons from the sea. I was excited and drawn in. However things quickly degenerate as secrets about Ashok’s past are revealed.

After the truth of Ashok’s past is revealed the book degenerates into a story about the oppressed Nameless and the Inquisitor that pulls the strings to re-write the histories, ensuring that the history of the Nameless caste is unknown to the general populace. At this point the story starts to jump around between Ashok and a whole bunch of other people I didn’t care a lick about.

Really I kind of wanted someone to just die so that something exciting would happen. I didn’t need to read this long story about an oppressed race who finally found a hero to set them free. There were too many characters I didn’t care about and the story was incredibly and painfully boring.

I wanted this book to be over sooo bad, by the time I got halfway through I upped the speed on Audible to 1.5x so I could get through it faster. It still felt like fffoooorrreeevvveeerrr.

Overall I really really disliked this book. It started out promising but degenerated into a slog through boring and uninteresting politics and a billion boring and uninteresting characters. It was an incredibly forgettable book and I probably won’t remember a thing about it in a couple weeks. I would recommend steering clear of this one. It was awful. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 8, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Son of the Black Sword Series: Saga of the Forgotten Warrior Author: Larry Correia Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: Fantasy Pages: 464 Synopsis: Ashok, the best of the Protectors, has a magic sword of black steel. With it, the demons of the sea don't stand a chance. Unfortunately, Ashok's whole life is based on a lie. A lie woven with magic, a lie that can't be undone. And a prophecy. Gotta have a prophecy in a fantasy book. My Thoughts: If you had asked me if Larry Correia writing Fantasy would be better than Larry Correia writing Urban Fantasy, I would have just given an automatic "yes". However, I have to admit, I enjoyed the MHI series and the Grimnoir series more. Don't get me wrong, this was a great fantasy. But when I've been glutted on the likes of Brandon Sanderson, it takes something immensely AMAZING to wow me. This was just plain old amazing, not immensely amazing. Isn't it crazy when you have the kind of books available so you can make those kind of distinctions? So good stuff. Great magic, society based on lies, vast conspiracies, water demons. I was never bored reading this. You know how good a feeling that is? " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

After the War of the Gods, the demons were cast out and fell to the world. Mankind was nearly eradicated by the seemingly unstoppable beasts, until the gods sent the great hero, Ramrowan, to save them. He united the tribes, gave them magic, and drove the demons into the sea. Ever since the land has belonged to man and the oceans have remained an uncrossable hell, leaving the continent of Lok isolated. It was prophesized that someday the demons would return, and only the descendants of Ramrowan would be able to defeat them. They became the first kings, and all men served those who were their only hope for survival.
As centuries passed the descendants of the great hero grew in number and power. They became tyrannical and cruel, and their religion nothing but an excuse for greed. Gods and demons became myth and legend, and the people no longer believed. The castes created to serve the Sons of Ramrowan rose up and destroyed their rulers. All religion was banned and replaced by a code of unflinching law. The surviving royalty and their priests were made casteless, condemned to live as untouchables, and the Age of Law began.
Ashok Vadal has been chosen by a powerful ancient weapon to be its bearer. He is a Protector, the elite militant order of roving law enforcers. No one is more merciless in rooting out those who secretly practice the old ways. Everything is black or white, good or evil, until he discovers his entire life is a fraud. Ashok isn’t who he thinks he is, and when he finds himself on the wrong side of the law, the consequences lead to rebellion, war—and destruction.

"After the War of the Gods, the demons were cast out and fell to the world. Mankind was nearly eradicated by the seemingly unstoppable beasts, until the gods sent the great hero, Ramrowan, to save them. He united the tribes, gave them magic, and drove the demons into the sea. Yet as centuries passed, Gods and demons became myth and legend, and the people no longer believed. The Age of Law began."--Book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,553,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible