Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia

Son of the Black Sword (2015)

by Larry Correia

I am a huge fan of Correia's Monster Hunter series and was excited to see a new series by him. I am just going to be blunt here...I did not like this book at all. The book is boring, full of politics, and doesn’t make much progress from the beginning to the end. Additionally it looks like this is the beginning of a series and I couldn't find any information on when another book would be released in this series.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator was the best part of this whole experience for me. Reynolds is amazing and does a wonderful job narrating this lackluster story. I think the only reason I actually finished this book was because I loved the way his voice sounded as he read the story.

The book starts out promising. Our main hero, Ashok, is fighting an awesome battle with two demons from the sea. I was excited and drawn in. However things quickly degenerate as secrets about Ashok’s past are revealed.

After the truth of Ashok’s past is revealed the book degenerates into a story about the oppressed Nameless and the Inquisitor that pulls the strings to re-write the histories, ensuring that the history of the Nameless caste is unknown to the general populace. At this point the story starts to jump around between Ashok and a whole bunch of other people I didn’t care a lick about.

Really I kind of wanted someone to just die so that something exciting would happen. I didn’t need to read this long story about an oppressed race who finally found a hero to set them free. There were too many characters I didn’t care about and the story was incredibly and painfully boring.

I wanted this book to be over sooo bad, by the time I got halfway through I upped the speed on Audible to 1.5x so I could get through it faster. It still felt like fffoooorrreeevvveeerrr.

Overall I really really disliked this book. It started out promising but degenerated into a slog through boring and uninteresting politics and a billion boring and uninteresting characters. It was an incredibly forgettable book and I probably won’t remember a thing about it in a couple weeks. I would recommend steering clear of this one. It was awful. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 8, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Son of the Black Sword Series: Saga of the Forgotten Warrior Author: Larry Correia Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: Fantasy Pages: 464 Synopsis: Ashok, the best of the Protectors, has a magic sword of black steel. With it, the demons of the sea don't stand a chance. Unfortunately, Ashok's whole life is based on a lie. A lie woven with magic, a lie that can't be undone. And a prophecy. Gotta have a prophecy in a fantasy book. My Thoughts: If you had asked me if Larry Correia writing Fantasy would be better than Larry Correia writing Urban Fantasy, I would have just given an automatic "yes". However, I have to admit, I enjoyed the MHI series and the Grimnoir series more. Don't get me wrong, this was a great fantasy. But when I've been glutted on the likes of Brandon Sanderson, it takes something immensely AMAZING to wow me. This was just plain old amazing, not immensely amazing. Isn't it crazy when you have the kind of books available so you can make those kind of distinctions? So good stuff. Great magic, society based on lies, vast conspiracies, water demons. I was never bored reading this. You know how good a feeling that is? " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
4.5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
I was thoroughly engrossed by the characters and world featured in this book. Our hero, a Protector named Ashok Vadal, had been chosen as a boy by ancestor sword made of black steel with the name Angruvadal. Normally this would happen only to those first-born but for some reason the sword selected a starving, casteless boy who was cleaning blood off the floor and had to move the sword (shades of King Arthur). After he went through brutal training and served as Protector upholding the Law through the land, Ashok learns of his low birth and returns to what he thought was his home to try and learn the name of his mother. Things did not go well. As a result, Ashok was placed in prison until some appropriate judgement could be made.

The sword is a fascinating weapon. It was forged from the metal taken from a ship that had come from the sky long ago and had brought demon-like beings to the land. A hero named Ramrowan had fought these demons and pushed them into the sea and ever since, the Protectors have made sure they stayed there. The sea had become impassable and even the greatest insults were based on salt water and fish eating. The sword moves from one man to another, and woe be it to anyone who dares to try and wield it without its permission. The sword also carries the experience and memories of all the warriors who have held it. That a member of the lowest caste was chosen to carry it was abhorrent so a wizard removed Ashok's earliest memories and he was sent far away from his house.

Ashok is an interesting character. When he was first brought to be trained as a Protector at the age of 10, the sword was taken from him until he was accepted by the Heart of the Mountain as a true Protector. SHe was so attached to the sword he pushed his way through the training and underwent the trial at the unheard of age of 12. He takes his job as seriously as possible. When he finds that he himself have unwittingly broken the law by holding the sword, he is sent into a spiral of depression and uncertainty of his place in the world. It was not as easy as laying the sword aside. That is equally as impossible.

I can't say why but I was totally immersed in this book and this world. It is definitely not for anyone not able to be washed in gore and blood. ( )
  mamzel | Mar 25, 2016 |

After the War of the Gods, the demons were cast out and fell to the world. Mankind was nearly eradicated by the seemingly unstoppable beasts, until the gods sent the great hero, Ramrowan, to save them. He united the tribes, gave them magic, and drove the demons into the sea. Ever since the land has belonged to man and the oceans have remained an uncrossable hell, leaving the continent of Lok isolated. It was prophesized that someday the demons would return, and only the descendants of Ramrowan would be able to defeat them. They became the first kings, and all men served those who were their only hope for survival.
As centuries passed the descendants of the great hero grew in number and power. They became tyrannical and cruel, and their religion nothing but an excuse for greed. Gods and demons became myth and legend, and the people no longer believed. The castes created to serve the Sons of Ramrowan rose up and destroyed their rulers. All religion was banned and replaced by a code of unflinching law. The surviving royalty and their priests were made casteless, condemned to live as untouchables, and the Age of Law began.
Ashok Vadal has been chosen by a powerful ancient weapon to be its bearer. He is a Protector, the elite militant order of roving law enforcers. No one is more merciless in rooting out those who secretly practice the old ways. Everything is black or white, good or evil, until he discovers his entire life is a fraud. Ashok isn’t who he thinks he is, and when he finds himself on the wrong side of the law, the consequences lead to rebellion, war—and destruction.

"After the War of the Gods, the demons were cast out and fell to the world. Mankind was nearly eradicated by the seemingly unstoppable beasts, until the gods sent the great hero, Ramrowan, to save them. He united the tribes, gave them magic, and drove the demons into the sea. Yet as centuries passed, Gods and demons became myth and legend, and the people no longer believed. The Age of Law began."--Book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,730,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible