Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs

Fire Touched

by Patricia Briggs

Series: World of the Marrok (23), Mercy Thompson (9)

Who knew trolls were brightly coloured down there. Something to keep in mind during your next internet argument.

Adam and Mercy's pack is quickly becoming the go-to problem solving group. Vampire dispute: call the pack. Wayward fae: call the pack. Troll rampaging on a bridge in town and threatening to kill everyone: call the pack. Since that isn't happening anywhere else, Mercy claims the Tri-cities as their territory and any and all are under their protection. Only took a few seconds for someone to take up the protection offer and give them another headache in the form of a fire-touched human hunted by the fae.

This instalment in the Mercy Thompson series sees some of the older conflicts resolved, only to be replaced by new conflicts as the importance of the Columbia Basin pack in the wider world grows. The way Patricia Briggs has gradually grown the Mercy's world, and the characters who live within it, has felt natural, whilst upping the stakes. Of course now that I'm up-to-date with the series, I have a fortnight to wait for the next instalment to be published. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Mercy's b-a-c-k and we're back to the storyline expected of series. The last couple of books ... just weren't Mercy or Adam.

Not really much more to say in a review that I haven't already said in reviews of this series.

Adam does finally step up. ( )
  Spurts | Mar 24, 2017 |
Another really excellent installment in the Mercy Thompson series. Lots of great characters, lots of great supernatural action and some very scary fae, lots of heart-warming dynamics of loyalty, love, protection, heroism, bravery, fighting the good fight. ( )
  chavala | Dec 28, 2016 |
Maybe my favourite of the nine books so far. It was fast-paced, a little bit breathless and everybody pulled their heads out of their... and started acting like a unit instead of a roomful of kids hyped up on too much birthday cake.

Fire Touched took a page of out Zee's book of philosophy and played no games; there weren't any sly plots on the side, no melodramatic angst, no misapprehensions or misunderstandings. It was a welcome change to have a story where Mercy and Adam worked together from beginning to end. I loved that Zee got a lot more page-time and I think it might be a little wrong how much I liked Baba Yaga's character. These two and Margaret's cameo made up for the absence of Samuel and the small bit with Bran (although I loved this scene, with Charles playing invisible chorus).

I'd have liked to have known more about Aiden's power (how it works) and his past, although I did enjoy learning a bit more about Underhill and, I don't know if the author intended this or not, I liked the allegory of mankind's treatment of Earth.

At the end of the book, I had a feeling it lacked a very small something, but on thinking about it, I think that's more about my expectation of side plots and melodrama (because let's face it, that's pretty much SOP in most books) going unfulfilled than anything of substance actually missing. I went 4.5 stars because as much as I really enjoyed the plotting, the writing and the characters, fae politics just aren't that fascinating to me, and that's purely personal taste.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Briggs does next. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 20, 2016 |
Well, you know what you're getting with this series, but it's better than the last few. ( )
  pieandsunshine | Aug 21, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vampires, werewolves and fae were never on the farm. To Nanette, who drove combine and did no harm while on the farm.
I sat up in bed, a feeling of urgency gripping my stomach in iron claws.

Mercy Thompson has been hailed as “a heroine who continues to grow and yet always remains true to herself.”* Now she’s back, and she’ll soon discover that when the fae stalk the human world, it’s the children who suffer...

Tensions between the fae and humans are coming to a head. And when coyote shapeshifter Mercy and her Alpha werewolf mate, Adam, are called upon to stop a rampaging troll, they find themselves with something that could be used to make the fae back down and forestall out-and-out war: a human child stolen long ago by the fae.

Defying the most powerful werewolf in the country, the humans, and the fae, Mercy, Adam, and their pack choose to protect the boy no matter what the cost. But who will protect them from a boy who is fire touched?

*Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:49:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible