Rising Tide by Susan Roebuck

Rising Tide

by Susan Roebuck

431,664,912 (5)None

Rising Tide is a wonderful book about two different people. Leo Shine is a fisherman who lives in Alaska and loses his father and brother to a freak wave that capsizes their boat. The authorities find that they were smuggling illegal cargo and Leo's only clue is the Portuguese village of Luminosa that his mother had come from.
Piper Pines lives in Norfolk, England on the coast and wants to know about her long-dead mother. She travels to Luminosa to find answers. Leo and Piper meet and together have to solve their riddles and deal with drug syndicates, scheming criminals, and long ago mysteries.
This is a lovely thriller about the dangers of the sea as well as the longing that some people have for being on the ocean. The story is true so that you can feel the heat of the Portuguese sun and the salt in the air. The villagers are interesting and the various strands of the plot interweave to a very satisfactory conclusion. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jan 21, 2016 |
Fabulous stuff! I love it when an author can immerse me so deeply in characters, their lives, cultures and the places they inhabit. Sue Roebuck throws you only one storyline/lifeline to hang on to while this tale throws you around like a storm-stricken fishing boat.

Following what seem to be an unlikely series of coincidences the characters are forced to unravel the strange story behind them. It’s no mean feat for a writer to put across something complicated so simply and with such clarity.

The sand shifts under the characters’ and reader’s feet, the unexpected happens and one epiphany follows another. Amazingly you still have time to see, feel and smells in such a way you really believe you’re there watching it all happen.

I could go on about this forever but one last thing: One of the main characters has to deal with some serious emotional issues towards the end of the story - and watching her do it is spellbinding.

As I said – treat yourself. ( )
  Gary-Bonn | Oct 13, 2015 |
This story is set in Portugal, which I've never visited, but I grew up along the coastline of NJ, within sight of NYC. Stories of the sea and fishermen fascinate me and Susan Roebuck's tale is one the very best. There's intrigue, adventure, and a delightful romance. I was pulled into the story from the first. Leo and Piper are endearing and the other townspeople of Luminosa are so vividly drawn I won't forget them. I loved this book! ( )
  penelopemarzec | Jul 4, 2015 |

Susan Roebuck is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible