Cthulhu Lies Dreaming: Twenty-three Tales of…

Cthulhu Lies Dreaming: Twenty-three Tales of the Weird and Cosmic

by Salomé Jones

Other authors: E. Dane Anderson (Contributor), Lucy Brady August (Contributor), Lucy Brady (Contributor), Evey Brett (Contributor), Lynne Hardy (Contributor)1 more, Greg Stolze (Contributor)

I have mixed feelings about this book.
The writing is decent enough, but there is a boring sameness to the stories. It is almost as if all the authors were told to write a modern Lovecraft story in the old style. That is, lots of atmosphere and described feelings of dread, but told in a languid and flowery language.
I'd have to say this is a collection of stories for fans only.
  briangreiner | Sep 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book took me the better part of a year to work through, which is unfortunate because the mix of stories were pretty good for the most part, I just have read too many Lovecraftian inspired anthologies in a row recently. I hit a snag about a quarter of the way through where there were a few stories in a row that didn't work for me, but the last third picked up again so overall my read was positive.

Many of the stories were set in modern day, or at least had a very modern feel which I liked. My favorite was Bleak Mathematics where a music journalist learns about a mysterious secret indie band that plays in unannounced venues only to those in-the-know since not everyone is prepared to appreciate the cosmic music.

This anthology also did not feel repetitive which is another point in its favor so I would definitely recommend it for both Cthulhu-ethusiasts and horror readers in general. ( )
  macsbrains | Dec 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall, an excellent collection of Lovecraftian stories. Most of the authors manage to be quite Lovecraftian without getting overly bogged down with what that actually means. I often find that these kinds of collections try too much to emulate H.P. Lovecraft by rehashing plots and copying his style a little too closely, and that does happen in a few of the stories in this collection (those that do aren't necessarily bad), but there are some beautiful stand outs that make the collection very worthwhile. I particularly enjoyed The Myth of Proof, by Greg Stolze which has a mean little twist, and Service, by Lynnea Glassner, written in an unusual second person pov that I hated at first, then loved. ( )
  Amandalingo | May 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a good selection of tales. Most are gripping and thought-provoking reads. In some stories the narration seemed clunky and broke the hold the story had on my mind. But for the most part this was an engaging read. I would recommend it to others to read at least once. My favorite story was the seventh one. ( )
  Caeduthen | Apr 18, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the opening of his “The Call of Cthulhu,” Lovecraft famously observed that “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.” Editor Jones takes this quote and skews it. The collected authors are asked to explore the ramifications of the human mind dealing with fragments of a great cosmic truth buried in its subconscious; still beyond the mortal mind but prone to manifestation in dreams that rapidly turn into nightmares in the waking hours.

The stories in this book explore the effect of these somnolent shards intruding into the conscious mind. Madness? Artistic temperament? Subliminal connections to the dreams from sunken R'lyeh? In Cthulhu Lies Dreaming, the answer is the reader’s choice. There are examples of each, and other causes among the 23 tales, with dreams as both a common theme and the catalyst for a widening gyre of horror and madness.

The variety of stories is truly impressive, ranging from a new twist on the old debate between atheists and believers in “The Myth of Proof” by Greg Stolze to Cthulhian version of actual biological terrors on “Cymothoa Cthulhii” by Gethin A. Lynes. Pete Rawlik’s “Notes for a Life of Nightmares” starts with the artist Wilcox, whose dream-inspired clay bas-relief began the original Lovecraft story, but as Rawlik is wont to do, he then throws sly nods to every other Lovecraft story he can casually have Wilcox passingly encounter. “Bleak Mathematics” by Brian Fatah Steele similarly introduced the mythos to the world of indie music – neither the mythos nor the art will ever be the same.

As with any good anthology, this is not to be read in one sitting. It should be stretched out over time, to savor and to avoid adding your own nightmares to the disquieting dreams within.
1 vote goudsward | Mar 27, 2016 |

Hardy, LynneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stolze, GregContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tim.
He's a deep one.

Cthulhu, he sleeps, in deep waters where he dreams. Let's keep him sleeping.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Salomé Jones's book Cthulhu Lies Dreaming:Twenty-Three Tales of the Weird and Cosmic was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ghostwoods Books

An edition of this book was published by Ghostwoods Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,435,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible