Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

I read this because I received an advanced reader's copy of this from a Goodreads giveaway. I have to say I enjoyed it. While it's not the normal type of fantasy story I'm used to, I found it interesting and unique in the types of magic illustrated. There's an abundance of witches, elves, dwarves, dragons, etc to be found nowadays. Age of Myth has none of them while retaining an interesting perspective of magic that's not always shown. The end brought about an unexpected and interesting twist as well to set up for the next in the series. I look forward to reading more. ( )
  Sarahliz2182 | Jul 1, 2017 |
  Sarahliz2182 | Jul 1, 2017 |
I’m a fan of Michael J. Sullivan’s Riyria Revelations series, so I was looking forward to reading this book since it’s a prequel. It’s set 3,000 years before the events of Riyria which sounds like a lot, but since that’s a normal lifespan for an elf of this world, it actually has more connections than I thought it would.

Our band of heroes are Raithe, a human that kills an elf (called Fhrey in the books) and accidentally proves that they aren’t gods, Persephone, the widow of the chieftain of Dahl Rehn, who has to look after her people in a time of change, Suri, a half-wild girl who has grown up in the woods and possesses a power she thinks she understands, and Arion, a respected elven mage venturing outside of her home for the first time. Raithe killing the elf brings long simmering resentments to the surface, and war between men and the elves seems inevitable.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I think of the Riyria Revelations series as comfort fantasy – heroes rising from an unlikely place, evil plots needing foiling, oppression needing to be to stopped, and this is exactly what Age of Myth was too. The world is different – humans are barely surviving, and their standard of living is pretty low, but otherwise the themes and characterization seemed pretty similar. The book is often not very subtle (the character of Gryndal, for example), but that’s okay – it’s still fun, and there are some epic moments.

I keep talking about Riyria Revelations, but I should make clear that this book stands perfectly well on its own as the start of a new series. Any references to things in Riyria are just Easter eggs. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book (audio CD) in a Library Thing early reviewers giveaway.

Micheal J Sullivan continues to write books that are really enjoyable to either read or especially to listen to. This book is set in the same world as his Riyria novels but about 1000 years prior to those events. It tells the story of some of the myths that are discussed in those novels and are a must listen to for anyone who enjoys his work. I won't go into details but I can guarantee that you will enjoy the tale as told and makes me wish the next several books in this timeline were already released.

5 Stars for a fantastic book by both author and narrator.
  ConalO | Jan 9, 2017 |

Immortal god dies
Dahl in midst of a shake-down
Epic war coming. (T4NK)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michael J. Sullivan's book Age of Myth was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible