Smoke Rising by Craig Halloran

Great premise but stilted writing, cardboard characters and plot holes make it unreadable. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
Smoke, a former Navy Seal and very successful bounty hunter, is in jail because his sense of bringing the bad guy down no matter what, went a little too outside the law for one judge. One of Agent Sidney Shaw’s jobs is to negotiate freedom in exchange for help from a prisoner when they are deemed the best person for a job. All she knows when approaching Smoke is that a man on a rumored, very high level list of dangerous people needs to be brought in and Smoke appears to be the best. Others have gone after the guy but never returned.

It sounds like they are being set up to fail with the amount of information in the files that is blocked out. All she’s told is to do her best and give Smoke some room to hunt the guy while keeping an eye on him. They have two weeks and no idea what they are up against. And once they do? Well the government is excellent at covering things up.

The relationship between the two is rather stilted at first due to Sid’s attempt to keep everything professional. But once she begins to start trusting him, the stick up her butt gets smaller. Humor is provided via thoughts and comments, although the author uses words for sound; “Blam!” for shooting a gun, “Whap!” for hitting something, etc. I felt like I was reading a comic book.

To me a good story is one that draws you inside the head of the main character and has you feeling their emotions. I didn’t get that at all. But it does have a lot of action and a character trait in a werewolf that is unique to all other werewolf culture’s I’ve read. ( )
  dearheart | Jun 21, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,546,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible