The Scent Of Shadows by Vicki Pettersson

I read this a couple years ago, but didn't have a good memory of things. Recently read a short story about Zoe, Joanna's mother and her baby. So since I'm going through my stash of to be read books and I have book two, thought I should refresh my memory. Interesting concept, need to finish and try out the other book to be sure that I'll want to continue with the series. Good news is that the library has the other books, so I can. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
More like 3.5 stars...This was an interesting first installment of a series. Super action packed, with a sympathetic (read: I didn't want to throttle her constantly or scream "What were you thinking?!?") protagonist. Fans of Richelle Mead, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, etc would probably like this. I'll certainly continue with the next one (once my mom's finished with it. :)) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
$0.99 ebook sale at Harper -- http://harpervoyagerbooks.com/2012/02/01/just-a-few-more-days-of-the-harper-voya... . Bought as part of Harper Voyager ebook sale; per Ms. Harrison's recommendation.
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
"I began reading this and almost put it down and then I got to the line: ""..I mean really."" I like witty and sarcastic characters so I thought to keep going.

I found myself really liking the heroine and even the basic plot. The characters were great and very likeable. The scenarios were believable and well thought through. There was just so much to understand though. Events would happen and would have reasons that were told but not explained. I spent so much time being confused about things because of it. The storyline would include mentions of a past that you know nothing of and it would be a reason for why something was happening. Then later on you finally get an explanation. I almost felt I needed to go back and reread it to actually understand what was going on. Like the book kept mentioning about the heroine having protected her sister twice and failed. This wasn't actually explained to you until the end of the book as to what happened.

I did really like the characters and the idea behind it but I felt too confused while reading it to want to continue with the series. Plus the bonus material was an excerpt from the newest to release soon and from reading it I discovered what would have pissed me off if I'd invested in the series. Not only had the heroine lost her life her mother any good father figure her sister her lover and all friends but was introduced into a battle she didn't know existed. Then in the end of this first book you find out that things start to look up for her. Then I read this new excerpt from the newest one to discover that she ends up losing her powers her new lover (that was introduced in the first one - which I liked) her first love is dead she had to kill a father she hated and so much more. I just know if I had conitnued it I'd have been pissed." ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
Fabulous book!!! Got it free when I first got my kindle. What a unique and clever storyline. Set in Las Vegas we meet the protectors of the city. Each a sign of the zodiac, they have a special power. Shadow and light, fight to control the city.

Again an entertaining book that keeps you on your toes as you keep all the names and who side they are on straight. A reread for sure! ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
He didn't look dangerous, not at first glance

When she was sixteen, Joanna Archer was brutally assaulted and left to die in the Nevada desert.

By rights, she should be dead.

Now a photographer by day, she prowls a different Las Vegas after sunset—a grim, secret Sin City where Light battles Shadow—seeking answers to whom or what she really is . . . and revenge for the horrors she was forced to endure.

But the nightmare is just beginning—for the demons are hunting Joanna, and the powerful shadows want her for their own . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060898917, Mass Market Paperback)

By rights, she should be dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:11 -0400)

This action-packed debut features a young woman who must choose between her destiny as a brave member of the Zodiac and the dark forces that want to tear her life apart. Original.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible